Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Alright I've been defending this for a while, but come on now. Team Yell? Galarian forms? Hangry mode? Surely they could've come up with something a little more creative than that right?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Team Yell in theory is at least defensible because it looks heavily inspired by the British punk movement.

But in execution...What the **** is that?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Alright I've been defending this for a while, but come on now. Team Yell? Galarian forms? Hangry mode? Surely they could've come up with something a little more creative than that right?
At this point I'm convinced they're steering straight into the memes. It started with Alolan Exeggutor last gen and now we've got Weezing looking like a cloud in a top hat and the Zigzagoon line looking like a KISS cover band. Hangry mode is hilariously cringey as well.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Japanese trailer is longer

Replaying BW2, such a fantastic gen. Wish the starters were better

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I haven't even watched the trailer yet. Should I? :facepalm: :laugh:
That depends. Can you afford to waste $60 on a game that you may have zero desire to play? :laugh:

If you look at my post from the last page, I was still strongly considering buying this game, despite the cheesy dynamax bullshit. This latest trailer is... too much.

Up until this game, I've always felt like Pokemon did a good job of recognizing its audience, which spanned over multiple age groups. I get it that Pokemon as a game doesn't exactly shout maturity but this trailer felt like it was truly a children's game.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
That depends. Can you afford to waste $60 on a game that you may have zero desire to play? :laugh:

If you look at my post from the last page, I was still strongly considering buying this game, despite the cheesy dynamax bull****. This latest trailer is... too much.

Up until this game, I've always felt like Pokemon did a good job of recognizing its audience, which spanned over multiple age groups. I get it that Pokemon as a game doesn't exactly shout maturity but this trailer felt like it was truly a children's game.

I mean, I've been playing on and off since Red and Blue came out. I feel like I have to keep going. :laugh:

I'm afraid to watch the trailer, to be honest. Some things are not worth knowing...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I mean, I've been playing on and off since Red and Blue came out. I feel like I have to keep going. :laugh:

I'm afraid to watch the trailer, to be honest. Some things are not worth knowing...
I don't mean for this to come off the wrong way, but if you don't watch the trailer you have no one to blame but yourself if you end up not liking the game. As someone who has also been playing since R/B, I can tell you this direction is most definitely not for me.

For me, this trailer was more than enough for me to rethink whether I want this game and just wait for the next installment of Lets Go to come out.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't mean for this to come off the wrong way, but if you don't watch the trailer you have no one to blame but yourself if you end up not liking the game. As someone who has also been playing since R/B, I can tell you this direction is most definitely not for me.

For me, this trailer was more than enough for me to rethink whether I want this game and just wait for the next installment of Lets Go to come out.

I guess I'll watch it eventually. I have time to cancel my Amazon preorder.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts on Let's Go. I've been playing since RBY and I thought LGPE was boring and too pandering to be even remotely interesting, even if it was a respectable tribute to the originals. As a veteran player though, it did nothing for me. In that sense, SwSh should be more up my alley but the direction they're taking it is questionable at best. I feel like GameFreak is incredibly tone deaf as to what their audience actually wants and it's killing my interest at a rate faster than I expected.

Replaying BW2, such a fantastic gen. Wish the starters were better
Just finished a replay of BW2 a few weeks ago. I forgot how good that game was. Unova with its story and a much wider variety of encounters was pretty close to a perfect game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you're expecting creativity from GameFreak you need to come back from the 20th century.

I personally love the fact that Team Yell is basically their angry fanbase.

And this kinda thing happens with every new Pokémon release. Something comes out that the fanbase doesn't like, they ramble about it, forget it, then buy the game anyway. S/M were not very well received when they were revealed but people came around to them anyway. LGPE were the same.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I told myself I wasn't going to watch any more trailers to avoid any spoilers. etc. but I accidentally clicked that one out of habit. I gotta say - it looks pretty good to me.

I'm not as hardcore a player as many in this thread, and I do think some the changes are a bit bizarre. That said, I'm still pretty stoked for this game.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If you're expecting creativity from GameFreak you need to come back from the 20th century.

I personally love the fact that Team Yell is basically their angry fanbase.

And this kinda thing happens with every new Pokémon release. Something comes out that the fanbase doesn't like, they ramble about it, forget it, then buy the game anyway. S/M were not very well received when they were revealed but people came around to them anyway. LGPE were the same.

I never said I wasn't going to buy it. I was going to buy it regardless of what they showed us. Doesn't mean there's stuff that I don't like. The dynamax, not being able to acquire all the pokemon, team yell, galarian forms are not game breakers for me at least.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts on Let's Go. I've been playing since RBY and I thought LGPE was boring and too pandering to be even remotely interesting, even if it was a respectable tribute to the originals. As a veteran player though, it did nothing for me. In that sense, SwSh should be more up my alley but the direction they're taking it is questionable at best. I feel like GameFreak is incredibly tone deaf as to what their audience actually wants and it's killing my interest at a rate faster than I expected.

Just finished a replay of BW2 a few weeks ago. I forgot how good that game was. Unova with its story and a much wider variety of encounters was pretty close to a perfect game.

I really enjoyed Let's Go. I thought it was highly engaging, fun, challenging (enough), and overall a blast of nostalgia that felt both familiar and new.

I don't think GameFreak pandered to anyone with LGPE for one reason and it is a reason you articulate at the end of your first paragraph: They are tone deaf as to what their audience wants. I think they are tone deaf because after 20+ years, they no longer know who their audience is (shame on them for that). Are they creating games for the 30-40 year olds who grew up playing RBY and followed the series over the years? Are they creating games for a younger generation of gamers? They don't know and this trailer IMO is evidence of that. With LGPE, they didn't need to think about it. Their original fans of the game would likely be highly interested where as the changes they made would also potentially capture more casual gamers/younger gamers.

From the looks of it with Sword/Shield, they didn't consider what demographic they are trying to appeal to and I really wonder if there will be a disappointment from a sales perspective.

Reactions: Daxi

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I never said I wasn't going to buy it. I was going to buy it regardless of what they showed us. Doesn't mean there's stuff that I don't like. The dynamax, not being able to acquire all the pokemon, team yell, galarian forms are not game breakers for me at least.
I wasn't trying to target you specifically.

I also don't think not being able to acquire all the Pokémon is a huge deal. It's hardly feasible to begin with.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I really enjoyed Let's Go. I thought it was highly engaging, fun, challenging (enough), and overall a blast of nostalgia that felt both familiar and new.

I don't think GameFreak pandered to anyone with LGPE for one reason and it is a reason you articulate at the end of your first paragraph: They are tone deaf as to what their audience wants. I think they are tone deaf because after 20+ years, they no longer know who their audience is (shame on them for that). Are they creating games for the 30-40 year olds who grew up playing RBY and followed the series over the years? Are they creating games for a younger generation of gamers? They don't know and this trailer IMO is evidence of that. With LGPE, they didn't need to think about it. Their original fans of the game would likely be highly interested where as the changes they made would also potentially capture more casual gamers/younger gamers.

From the looks of it with Sword/Shield, they didn't consider what demographic they are trying to appeal to and I really wonder if there will be a disappointment from a sales perspective.

I agree with this. A random mess. It almost feels like an EA Sports NHL, FIFA, Madden release or an Activision Call of Duty release. A "well there's a new console and it's been a little while so we might as well put a core Pokemon franchise game on it with minor tweaks". There was a lot of opportunity here but it feels squandered. None of their visual changes or story changes are that appealing outside of the idea of soccer stadiums but that's really minor considering a stadium has been central to gyms since the start and TV show has had this the entire time it's existed but with more variety than just soccer stadiums.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

New move animations actually look great in this video. Some of the new items and abilities are sick too.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I hope for VGC's sake they made Truant unaffected by Neutralizing Gas.

Room Service is nice to allow certain mid speed tier Pokémon to work under trick room. When I saw the name I was scared this would be a trick room time extender.

Eject Pack has uses due to Intimidate, if it does work against it. If not, I'm not a fan. If I want to use Drake, I prefer specs to this.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I hope for VGC's sake they made Truant unaffected by Neutralizing Gas.

Room Service is nice to allow certain mid speed tier Pokémon to work under trick room. When I saw the name I was scared this would be a trick room time extender.

Eject Pack has uses due to Intimidate, if it does work against it. If not, I'm not a fan. If I want to use Drake, I prefer specs to this.
Bold of you to assume Slaking will make it into the game. ;) This may have been the "balance" they were talking about. Then again, Neutralizing Gas could just be similar to Gastro Acid, which fails if used against pokemon that have certain abilities (Multitype, Stance Change, Schooling, Comatose, Shields Down, Disguise, RKS System, Battle Bond, or Power Construct).

I was hoping we might get a Trick Room extender, but Room Service is pretty cool in its own right. TR Chandelure is the first thing that comes to mind as something that could seriously benefit from the speed drop. Mimikyu is another one.

Eject Pack works for any stat drops, I believe. Intimidate activates it, Draco Meteor activates it, Growl activates it...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sun/Moon isn't totally forgotten yet. I got a newsletter yesterday announcing that at the end of October EBGames/Gamestop are going to have code card giveaways for a shiny Solgaleo or Lunala in any of either vanilla SuMo or US/UM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad