Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I've enjoyed gen 8 quite a bit more than gen 7, and that's before this next part of the DLC comes which actually looks really good. The ability patch thing is going to be awesome, I have so many shiny Vulpix/ Ninetales and not a single one of them has Drought. It will also make shiny hunting Pokemon in the wild a lot more viable. Hoping for a couple surprises with this DLC, but even from what has been shown it looks really interesting.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I think I don't like Gen 8 much is because the story sucks (then again, it's pokemon) and I'm not really a big fan of Dynamax/Wild Areas. Everything about this game just feel lazy to me.

I'm hoping Crown Tundra is exciting too, but I'm not holding my breath.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think I don't like Gen 8 much is because the story sucks (then again, it's pokemon) and I'm not really a big fan of Dynamax/Wild Areas. Everything about this game just feel lazy to me.
My biggest gripe was with just how linear is it. Felt like you couldn't walk anywhere without the game holding your hand, routes were super small and filled with a ton of pointless dialogue. The wild area is cool in concept but it was not enough to outweigh the unfortunate parts of the game!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I was just hoping with Switch we'd take the next step and when you look at some of the better MMORPGs on the market - the NPCs do move around and do things and the place seems alive. You could say the same about many great RPGs.

I don't mind Dynamax and Wild Areas, it didn't take away anything for me but man the functionality of joining other players is clunky. Visibility of other players is limited to that one area and even then you can't really interact with them. I also feel like the Wild Area would be better like say the TV show where levels weren't a thing. The Pokemon would be at a high level of difficulty to beat. But the games are turned based combat (I can see why) so it's more of a 'card game' than a game of skill where you can outplay with your Pikachu like the game is skill-based combat like a DOTA style game or battle royale game or something. The turnbased combat also explains why Dynamax is just shields and 4v1.

I'm kind of ranting again but when I compare to Guild Wars 2, released over 8 years ago and the last major MMO I put significant time in, with the dynamic events, the attempts to make the world feel 'alive' where NPCs talk to each other, walk around in more complex algorithms and get involved in combat with you... and then the scale of the cities and world... it's night and day. So an 8 year old game (albeit on PC) was much better and more expansive than a 1 year old game.

You just look at MMOs and RPGs and you think Pokemon being one of the biggest franchises should compete. They sell well, they should get a budget and a development team with the ability to make something better than Guild Wars 2 or really anything... Pokemon prints money and a truly expansive, living world of Pokemon in a social MMO format could absolutely kill.

Reactions: robertmac43

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Seems like no one else here is excited, but it is downloading for me now and I'm really looking forward to playing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seems like no one else here is excited, but it is downloading for me now and I'm really looking forward to playing.
I have hope for the franchise and DLC, I'm just not going to buy at the moment. I'll wait for the reviews and then make the decision.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I have hope for the franchise and DLC, I'm just not going to buy at the moment. I'll wait for the reviews and then make the decision.

This, for me. I still haven't picked up the first one and I don't really plan to any time soon.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So far the crown tundra dlc is way better than isle of armor. That was such a disappointment because when I was done with it after a couple hours, I stopped playing lol. This one has way more content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
One thing I will say - I'm not sure if you can only join a group of random people but Dynamax Adventures makes it so easy to find a group. Some of the adventures are actually really close (like 10 HP, 2 pokemon alive, get the kill close). It's not like a raid den where you might be visible for others to join, you might not be, etc...

I do worry about how easily they are handing out legendaries. I've gotten Lugia, Suicine and two others from the newer Pokemon franchises (when I say new I mean past Gold/Silver/Crystal). It seems like you're almost guaranteed a legendary every time you win.

It's a great way to get through work meetings ;)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not going to lie I have an itching to play some Polemon and I may just buy the DLC - despite being negative towards it on here.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Not going to lie I have an itching to play some Polemon and I may just buy the DLC - despite being negative towards it on here.

It's still early impressions for me but dynamax adventures is probably the best you can get for turn based combat.

You team up with 3 others, you have to pick from a random list of pokemon, first player picks, their pick gets replaced with another random pokemon until you each have one picked. And that's your line-up.

And then it's successive dynamax battles based on a path branch your team votes on after each fight. Each dynamax creature you kill your team has option to catch and trade in for your starter pokemon. You don't automatically heal and regain PP at the end of each battle. Your team has 4 deaths for the entire adventure so you want to get to the final battle with all 4 intact (or at least 3) and the moves you need to beat the boss (and it will take a considerable number of turns).

Some paths will heal you after battle, some do nothing, some have a person that allows you to pick from 1 of 4 holdable items.

I've been in a couple "easy" wins and 2 pretty close ones.

And lets say you already have the perfect Lugia for example - you can pick from any other Dynamax Pokemon caught in the raid. So if I already had Lugia I could have picked up a Dragonair and gotten Dragonite.

I'm not sure about the story yet because I only got so far to unlock dynamax adventures and have been doing that as time allows.

Now is this feature alone worth $30? No but I think it's a good mode, a good implementation and devs should hear the positives and not just negatives. We'll see if there's enough story and other content that I can look at the 2 expansions and honestly say if it's worth $30 or not.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
One thing I will say - I'm not sure if you can only join a group of random people but Dynamax Adventures makes it so easy to find a group. Some of the adventures are actually really close (like 10 HP, 2 pokemon alive, get the kill close). It's not like a raid den where you might be visible for others to join, you might not be, etc...

I do worry about how easily they are handing out legendaries. I've gotten Lugia, Suicine and two others from the newer Pokemon franchises (when I say new I mean past Gold/Silver/Crystal). It seems like you're almost guaranteed a legendary every time you win.

It's a great way to get through work meetings ;)
You are guaranteed a legendary at the end, it is kind of the point of these. Similar to how they gave them away in US/UM and in ORAS, and I'm pretty sure in almost every third installment going back to Gen 4.

I really enjoyed the little bit that I got to play last night. Kind of explored the area, encountered some of the roaming legendaries, and did some of the dynamax adventures. I think that the DLC overall is definitely worth a purchase, but I'm also a pretty big fan of this generation in general.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The 2nd DLC randomly popped up in my head and I googled when the release date was and to my surprised, it's tomorrow (or today for some of you)!

Holy hell, Gamefreak ruined this franchise for me so badly.

Lol I did the exact same thing. Forgot to preload though sooo. Might be a lil while til I can jump in.

Excited to finally re-Masuda my favorite shiny, Metagross.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You are guaranteed a legendary at the end, it is kind of the point of these. Similar to how they gave them away in US/UM and in ORAS, and I'm pretty sure in almost every third installment going back to Gen 4.

I really enjoyed the little bit that I got to play last night. Kind of explored the area, encountered some of the roaming legendaries, and did some of the dynamax adventures. I think that the DLC overall is definitely worth a purchase, but I'm also a pretty big fan of this generation in general.
Is there a limit on how many legendaries of the same type you can get? Like can I get 10 Rayquazas?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Is there a limit on how many legendaries of the same type you can get? Like can I get 10 Rayquazas?

I may have accidentally clicked do not catch but it seems like you can only catch them once? I had 2 Suicines earlier today and I only caught the first one. I don't recall an option to catch on second one.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Yeah, you can only take home one copy of each legendary, but can catch and choose not to take it with you after checking it's stats/ whether it is shiny first. Apparently you don't know if it is shiny until the very last screen where it asks which of the Pokemon you caught on the adventure you want to take home with you, so always catch all of the Pokemon along the way and then check if any of them are shiny on the last screen.

Shiny chance seems to be quite high in the dynamax adventures, but I'm not sure if we know exactly what it is yet.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, you can only take home one copy of each legendary, but can catch and choose not to take it with you after checking it's stats/ whether it is shiny first. Apparently you don't know if it is shiny until the very last screen where it asks which of the Pokemon you caught on the adventure you want to take home with you, so always catch all of the Pokemon along the way and then check if any of them are shiny on the last screen.

Shiny chance seems to be quite high in the dynamax adventures, but I'm not sure if we know exactly what it is yet.
Ok, so I can join multiple Suicune raids, but can only catch it once? That would make sense.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Ok, so I can join multiple Suicune raids, but can only catch it once? That would make sense.
Yeah, pretty much. But you do need to catch it in order to check to see if it is shiny/ has the stats you want. If it is not what you want, you can choose not to keep it, and can re-roll it again.

Also, match making for dynamax adventures is so much better than for regular dynamax raids. For now at least it seems like you're guaranteed to get a full party.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not crazy about rerolling for the legendary I want but it's not that annoying.

Dynite ore rewards are pretty solid so not that big a deal.

Edit: man. I am so sick of getting teammates that pick the dumbest paths. Water type legendary coming up, sure let's skip the electric path for normal type. Ghost legendary coming up, let's avoid the path that leads to the dark path and pick normal twice in a f***ing row. Rage quit on that last one.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm not crazy about rerolling for the legendary I want but it's not that annoying.

Edit: man. I am so sick of getting teammates that pick the dumbest paths. Water type legendary coming up, sure let's skip the electric path for normal type. Ghost legendary coming up, let's avoid the path that leads to the dark path and pick normal twice in a f***ing row. Rage quit on that last one.
I think people want to take the path of least resistance, but don't think ahead to the final battle. But overall I've had decent luck, haven't lost yet playing with randoms.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

The daytime players were much better than the players tonight. I lost a couple rounds tonight. I also had a guy go AFK from the start with a Coallosal or whatever it's called and he spammed smokescreen the entire round. We barely won.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The daytime players were much better than the players tonight. I lost a couple rounds tonight. I also had a guy go AFK from the start with a Coallosal or whatever it's called and he spammed smokescreen the entire round. We barely won.
I locked down a Rayquaza den and I managed to down him 5 times straight without losing. One run without a single faint. Try 6...well it's a long...truly stupid story, but we had two faints on the first pokemon and another two on the second.

Also just another vent, it's kinda stupid that Druddigon doesn't have any dragon moves when you're trying to take down a dragon legendary. If anything he's a liability against something like Rayquaza. And of course as I type this my teammate switches for Druddigon.
I think people want to take the path of least resistance, but don't think ahead to the final battle. But overall I've had decent luck, haven't lost yet playing with randoms.
I've lost like three times.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
1 in 25 is def worth the effort for me. At least for a few of them.

Rayquaza, Yveltal, Kyogre, and Zygarde for sure. Not sure if I'll have the patience for more hunts than that but we'll see. Maybe Tapu Koko and Fini

I'm at about 10 tries on Rayquaza.

Also kind of in the habit of catching everything just in case they're shiny.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Apparently it's 1-in-25 with Shiny Charm, 1-in -75 without:

That's REALLY good. :amazed:

One thing to keep in mind, though. Pokemon won't appear shiny until reaching the results screen:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be grinding for Tapu Fini. Not sure after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad