Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just beat the 8th gym. For those who have not done it yet, it's a cool one. Not what I was expecting to say the least.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think Pokemon should do little expansions on to the wild are as free dlc. Would be a cool way to keep things fresh and add some new Pokemon if they go the route of adding.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Finally picked up the game yesterday. So far I'm only in Motostoke, but I could be a lot farther if I hadn't spent like two hours running around the Wild Area. What a cool addition to the game. The only thing I'm worried about is if I'm overleveling myself for the first gym (which is still another city away, from what I understand?). Hop is also annoying, I couldn't wait to be rid of him once I got to the Wild Area. :laugh:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Finally picked up the game yesterday. So far I'm only in Motostoke, but I could be a lot farther if I hadn't spent like two hours running around the Wild Area. What a cool addition to the game. The only thing I'm worried about is if I'm overleveling myself for the first gym (which is still another city away, from what I understand?). Hop is also annoying, I couldn't wait to be rid of him once I got to the Wild Area. :laugh:
His annoyingness doesn't get any better. But honestly, I think they prepared for people being a bit over leveled and factored that in to the gym leaders levels.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I think Pokemon should do little expansions on to the wild are as free dlc. Would be a cool way to keep things fresh and add some new Pokemon if they go the route of adding.

unfortunately "free" doesn't seem to be Nintendo's cup of tea but lets hope

the addition of new gigamax pokemon is a good sign

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
unfortunately "free" doesn't seem to be Nintendo's cup of tea but lets hope

the addition of new gigamax pokemon is a good sign

I will be pissed if they release more Pokemon and its in the from of payed DLC. I would do it because I cannot control my wallet when it comes to Nintendo, but I would not be happy about it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I will be pissed if they release more Pokemon and its in the from of payed DLC. I would do it because I cannot control my wallet when it comes to Nintendo, but I would not be happy about it.

If they add DLC like Snorlax and maintain the game + add expansion areas with DLC I'll probably pick it up. My sister wants me to get her the game for Christmas so I might buy a double pack to play a little with her.

If it's just DLC Pokemon for money with nothing else really added I think I'll continue holding out.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If they add DLC like Snorlax and maintain the game + add expansion areas with DLC I'll probably pick it up. My sister wants me to get her the game for Christmas so I might buy a double pack to play a little with her.

This would be acceptable. I think it would be cool if they had Wild Areas that are based on other regions and you could train to them in game. These areas could have geographic locations that are based on their original games or something like that.

I would pay money for that!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Done the game. The last couple of hours were especially good! Any one have the inside track on what to do post game?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
For some reason I have over 20 gigantamax Drednaw. I don't know why I keep catching them.

Done the game. The last couple of hours were especially good! Any one have the inside track on what to do post game?
If you haven't already, go back to the woods where you first met the cover legendary Pokemon. If you've done that part, it is mostly max raids and the battle tower. Or if you like shiny hunting and building competitive teams, do that. But mostly I've been doing max raid battles and trying to get all the different gmax Pokemon.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Beat the first gym last night. I actually don't mind dynamax as a mechanic, it's decently fun anyways. Can't imagine it would be balanced in competitive though. Still, watching my giant Linoone go up against Milo's giant Eldegoss was pretty cool. Hope things start to pick up now that the first gym has passed. I will say, I really love the new encounter system, with the mix of wild encounters and overworld models that literally run after you. All these Tyrogues and Growlithes and Stuffuls chasing me as I'm running down the path is quite funny to see. :laugh:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The Wild Area is probably the best example I've ever seen- take that for what it's worth since I play only 2-3 new games a year, if that- of a near complete overhaul to a core mechanic that removes all of the negative fluff while retaining the heart of what made the mechanic work in the first place. An 80% reduction of blindly running through the grass praying to RNGesus for a good find + no more forced battles if you take an astute path is a good thing. And it really gets to the heart of what makes Pokemon a world wide phenomenon. The developer loved collecting insects as a child and wanted to bring that interest to a mass market audience, especially players in an urban setting where the only thing you're finding are roaches and rats. But as I played this, I feel it really goes deeper than that. It's like back when you're young, I mean REALLY young, when you're in that phase where everyday you learn a new word, concept or new ability you can do. You see something you don't recognize and, abstractly and intuitively, think "What's THAT? How does it work?". Every time I saw a new Pokemon I had a similar reaction. What type is it? What's it's deal? Is it powerful or just cute? I want to catch it! That I haven't played a full generation since Diamond/Pearl, and only Black 2 in the interregnum, helped in that I only recognized a handful of Pokemon. I do agree with points that they did cut corners, and the only rebuttal- really an amendment- to that is that the heart of the series is still there, it's the fluff that has been removed.

It's not nearly as bad as some loudmouths are trying to make it. Clearly they're just angry about the removal of the National Dex and are finding any and all instances to justify that belief.

Other notes: You fight the rival too much. There could have been a LOT more trainers to fight, though I imagined they correctly assumed most of your leveling would be from Exp Candies and battling in the Wild Area- but I think it's an exaggeration only to such a small extent that it buttresses the point when I say there were more trainers in the area north of the 2nd gym in Gen 1 than there are in the wild in the entire game! The story didn't make sense, but it's Pokemon, so whatever. I guess I'll dip a toe into the PvP scene for the first time.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
When the Pokemon you're looking for, which also has a 2% encounter rate show up the moment you get to that Wild Area >>>>>>>>>>>>

Reactions: S E P H

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Onto the Fire gym after beating Nessa last night. The mainstays on my teams are pitiful against fire (Thwackey, Dubwool, Linoone) so I had to go pick up a Pelipper from the Wild Area to give myself a chance. :laugh:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If anyone wants, ive got loads of 4-5 perfect IV Shellos, Duraludon, Eevee. I should hopefully have some charmanders and snorlax tonight.

I’ll be available to trade later. Just tag me if you want one.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If anyone wants, ive got loads of 4-5 perfect IV Shellos, Duraludon, Eevee. I should hopefully have some charmanders and snorlax tonight.

I’ll be available to trade later. Just tag me if you want one.

I would totally sign up for Duraludon and Shellos if available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad