Pokemon Thread #24 - UltraPokemon UltraThread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Vanilluxe line was Black/White, not DPP. ;)
Yeah and idk if this is an unpopular opinion but IMO black and white had some of the sickest pokemon ever

i mean

hydreigon? bisharp? braviary? scolipede? excadrill? haxorus? chandelure? golurk? krookodile? could go on forever. i’ll take an ice cream pokemon if i can get absolute beasts like those i listed.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
how many of y'all been nuzlockin

i needa find out what to do for the diamond elite 4 and all those stupid f***ing water/ground types if i lose the one grass type i have

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah and idk if this is an unpopular opinion but IMO black and white had some of the sickest pokemon ever

i mean

hydreigon? bisharp? braviary? scolipede? excadrill? haxorus? chandelure? golurk? krookodile? could go on forever. i’ll take an ice cream pokemon if i can get absolute beasts like those i listed.

Black and White had good pokemon, I just didn't like the region or the way the game played out.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Black and White had good pokemon, I just didn't like the region or the way the game played out.
The Pokemon are also pretty terrible. Of the ones listed in that post, I really only like Excadrill and Haxorus. Chandelure is okay. Hydreigon is the ugliest Dragon outside of maybe Altaria and Druddigon (also gen 5). And all the others are just boring throwaways. The legendary Pokemon are a step up from gen 4, but only barely, and gen 4 legends are awful outside of Heatran.

Caveat that this is just my subjective opinion. But it is the right one.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Pokemon are also pretty terrible. Of the ones listed in that post, I really only like Excadrill and Haxorus. Chandelure is okay. Hydreigon is the ugliest Dragon outside of maybe Altaria and Druddigon (also gen 5). And all the others are just boring throwaways. The legendary Pokemon are a step up from gen 4, but only barely, and gen 4 legends are awful outside of Heatran.

Caveat that this is just my subjective opinion. But it is the right one.

I like Hydreigon because the hydra design is unique and it comes across as a sort of loose homage to classic Toho movie monster King Ghidorah (to the point that you can actually assemble a pretty broad-ish team that are very movie-monster-esque in design). Druddigon I never used to like, but I had one for a while in my Alpha Sapphire Egglocke and I have to admit that it grew on me. The others are a bit of a mixture of either ugly design but great usefulness or terrible utility on an interesting design, but I have found that over time my original "omg this all sucks" stance from Gen 5 has softened quite a bit. I still don't like the starters and I don't like a lot of the mons you find in the early portions of the game, but there are some gems in there, much like most other generations.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I hated how I had no idea who any of them were at the time of Black and White, but they've grown on me.

Some of the sleeper Unova mons that haven't been mentioned yet are Sigilyph, Cinccino, Reuniclus, Cofagrigus and Lilligant.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
For anyone that wants some rare(ish) stuff, if you boot up Pokemon Bank with a copy of UltraSun or UltraMoon to select as the game in use, you'll be gifted a Passimian and Oranguru with their Hidden Abilities (Defiant and Symbiosis respectively). You get both mons on the one game, so you don't need ot have a copy of both versions to get both mons, and as far as I understand this is the only way to get those two with their HA

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I like Hydreigon because the hydra design is unique and it comes across as a sort of loose homage to classic Toho movie monster King Ghidorah (to the point that you can actually assemble a pretty broad-ish team that are very movie-monster-esque in design). Druddigon I never used to like, but I had one for a while in my Alpha Sapphire Egglocke and I have to admit that it grew on me. The others are a bit of a mixture of either ugly design but great usefulness or terrible utility on an interesting design, but I have found that over time my original "omg this all sucks" stance from Gen 5 has softened quite a bit. I still don't like the starters and I don't like a lot of the mons you find in the early portions of the game, but there are some gems in there, much like most other generations.
I never got past the 2nd gym in the Gen 5 games, so I probably shouldn't say much about them. Like you, I just found the starters and beginning area Pokemon really dull.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
One of these days I'm probably going to try another BW (or BW2) nuzlocke. I'm just looking at the mons in the first few areas and it's not super encouraging It's not like I'm expecting dragons or anything on the first route, but Unova's version of the "early route fodder" mons is probably my least favorite. Pidove is the worst of the Pidgy-type 3-stage birds, Lilipup is boring, Patrat is Rattata and not even all that different, etc. Scolipede seems interesting, but only really interesting with its hidden ability, which isn't a thing in the wild in these games (they really should do that. Make it so that instead of needing to jump through hoops for HA mons, you just have a small (say <5%) chance that any mon you get might have its hidden ability. Even your starter. That way the competitive nerds can just SR themselves into oblivion trying to get them and everyone else can enjoy the random fun of maybe once and a while getting something cool and different. And from a flavor perspective it would make HAs feel less like a solely competitive-geared mechanic and more like breathing life into the Pokemon ecosystem by representing this almost like random mutations.

One thing I do wish they'd do is when they normally introduce stuff like the dragons in the way late game it's always too late to make use of them without proper grinding. If you're going to have a super-underpowered dragon that evolves into a killing machine, let players get it early. Let them suffer through the game having to drag along a dead-weight team member the whole way and then reward them for the fact that it will likely evolve somewhere in the high 40s-low 50s right around the time you're gearing up for the last gym or hte Pokemon League. What's the point of Hydreigon evolving at 64 if nobody will actually take the time/effort to raise it all the way to 60 other than using late-game or post-game exploits like e4 rebattles or bottomless pits of rare candy or whatever?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Someone asked me to face his team in Showdown to test it out. He did a Bug/Flying monotype. :laugh:

If anyone ever wants to play Showdown, let me know. I want to get into Pokemon again.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
USUM was much better than SM if only for Ultra Necrozma. I think I liked USUM more than XY and BW/BW2. ORAS are better ganes though.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Seems there’a shiny Pikachu (LGE)/shiny Eevee (LGP) event incoming:

Here’s hoping you can transfer from Let’s Go to Sword/Shield so you can evolve Eevee into one of the non-Generation I Eeveelutions.

EDIT: Official:

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Saw people ripping on B/W and I’m sorry, it’s almost a decade later and some haven’t realized it’s the best gen? Please.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
So after watching XYZ... I decided to try my hand at Pokemon again. I went and built a NU team on Pokemon Showdown.

Delphox, Vivillon, Vaporeon, Heliolisk, Steelix, Hitmontop

Rundown:
Steelix 252 HP/76 Atk/180 Sp. Def. (+Spd, -SpA)
Sturdy
Leftovers
Stealth Rock, Heavy Slam, Earthquake, Curse (May replace with Gyroball)

Vaporeon 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD (+Def -Atk)
Water Absorb
Leftovers
Scald, Toxic, Wish, Protect

Delphox 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe (+Spe, -Atk)
Blaze (Magician is garbage)
Firium Z (Might replace with Colbur Berry)
Calm Mind, Fire Blast, Psychic, Grass Knot

Vivillon 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe (+SpA -Atk)
Compound Eyes
Flyinium Z (Might replace with Leftovers)
Quiver Dance, Hurricane, Energy Ball (May replace with something else), Sleep Powder

Heliolisk 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe (+Spe -Atk)
Dry Skin
Choice Specs
Volt Switch, Hyper Voice, Thunderbolt, Surf

Hitmontop 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD (+Atk, -SpA)
Intimidate
Leftovers
Rapid Spin, High Jump Kick, Foresight (mostly vs Ghost), Close Combat

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
A few things:

1. Having Firium Z on Delphox and Flyinium Z on Vivillon is a waste. You can only use one Z move per match, so having two Z crystal Pokemon is a huge waste.

2. I haven't seriously played Showdown in awhile (I faced a joke team as a test team a few weeks back), so I'm not sure if there's an item clause.

3. I don't see a point in both High Jump Kick and Close Combat on Hitmontop. The miss penalty on High Jump Kick would probably put me towards Close Combat, but the defense drops hurt. I'd probably go with a defensive spinner set on Hitmontop.

Rapid Spin/fighting move (probably CC, but def. not HJK)/Protect/Toxic, Impish (+DEF, -SPA), Leftovers, 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SPD

Reactions: BaileyMacTavish

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
A few things:

1. Having Firium Z on Delphox and Flyinium Z on Vivillon is a waste. You can only use one Z move per match, so having two Z crystal Pokemon is a huge waste.

2. I haven't seriously played Showdown in awhile (I faced a joke team as a test team a few weeks back), so I'm not sure if there's an item clause.

3. I don't see a point in both High Jump Kick and Close Combat on Hitmontop. The miss penalty on High Jump Kick would probably put me towards Close Combat, but the defense drops hurt. I'd probably go with a defensive spinner set on Hitmontop.

Rapid Spin/fighting move (probably CC, but def. not HJK)/Protect/Toxic, Impish (+DEF, -SPA), Leftovers, 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SPD
1. I actually don't mind the double Z but it's kind of a better approach in VGC or formats other than singles. I think you're probably better off running Z Vivillon here and going with Scarf Delphox for some speed control on a team like this.

2. There is no item clause.

3. Hitmontop typically doesn't run HJK because it loses a lot of viability as a bulky pivot if you're taking 50% on a miss. CC is the way to go for sure. Even if you take the drops, you're probably hitting second anyways and you can switch out to preserve Hitmontop. Your set here looks good and is probably the most common, though I'd make Vaporeon more SpDef oriented if you go with +def Hitmontop.

Unrelated:

Detective Pikachu was a great film. Super fun and I thought they did a great job creating a Pokemon world that did justice to what a lot of us imagined it might look like on screen.

I also lost my Black nuzlocke last night to Ghetsis. His damn Hydreigon straight dunked on me lol :(

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If I traded a Modest 31/0/31/31/31/31 shiny Exeggutor to the NPC in LGE for the Alolan Exeggutor... would it be shiny? Would it have the same IVs? Would it be the same nature?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

Not surprisingly, Pokémon is having a direct just prior to E3. Pretty sure they did the exact same thing with Sun/Moon.

This'll be interesting. Hopefully we see a couple new Pokemon. I'll probably watch this first direct and then if I like what I see, try to go into a complete media black out.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
This'll be interesting. Hopefully we see a couple new Pokemon. I'll probably watch this first direct and then if I like what I see, try to go into a complete media black out.

I'm not going to avoid spoilers like I did for Sun/Moon since I'm not sure if I'm even going to continue with Pokemon. Gen 7 sucked big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad