Pokemon Thread #20: It's getting closer to Sun/Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
To be honest, im not sure I want to go into the newer generations. Seems like so many new features that it kind of took away from the simplicity of the pokemon games that I'm used to.
Pokemon ORAS does intrigue me a bit, I might go that route or stick with Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

I'm in the same boat.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Sapphire. I owned Pokemon Pearl but I don't think I really got into it. I didn't get Black or White, and I do own X but much like Pearl, I haven't gotten into it. I tried playing it a couple of days ago and it felt kind of weird.

I own Soul Silver, though, so I may stick to that. Pokemon Fire Red was also a great remake.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
To be honest, im not sure I want to go into the newer generations. Seems like so many new features that it kind of took away from the simplicity of the pokemon games that I'm used to.
Pokemon ORAS does intrigue me a bit, I might go that route or stick with Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

If you're playing a remake, you're already pushing past whatever "simplicity" existed in the original game. FR/LG is much more complex and polished than Red/Blue was. HeartGold/SoulSilver is heavily built up from what Gold/Silver/Crystal were.

If you play the remakes, you're also playing up to whatever complexity level existed in the corresponding main games from the generation. If you could handle HG/SS, you could also handle Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. If you played FR/LG, you were up to the level of playing Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald since the remakes always remake the classic game to be equivalent in terms of play style and complexity to the non-remake game of the same generation.

So if you play ORAS, you're up to speed to be able to handle whatever X/Y throws at you.

and really, it's not like it's that much more complicated. Since Gold/Silver there's only been 1 added type (Fairy. Weak against poison and steel, strong against dragon, dark, and fighting, immune to dragon type attacks), a couple more multi-battle types (rotation, triple), and the fact that TMs are now reusable. And stuff you'd have already experienced like the addition of new mons, moves, and abilities.

If you've made it to the 1st set of DS games, you've already experienced the biggest changes the series was going to throw at you (the first type additions and the splitting of attacks into physical attack and special attack based on a move-to-move basis instead of by type)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Slightly off topic, but how would you guys rank the pokemon games/generations? I'm starting up again and i'm deciding which one to play. I haven't played anything above 4th Gen. Some of my personal favorites have been Crystal/Gold/Silver, LeafGreen/FireRed and Pearl/Diamond. I also really enjoyed Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

Gen 2 HG/SS are the best games IMO but G/S/C are my top choice for a quick runthrough

Gen 6 probably an unpopular opinion but I loved Pokemon Y. Story wasn't great but I don't play pokemon for the story

Gen 1 strength is in nostalgia and simplicity but its simplicity also weighs it down all these years later.

Gen 3 story and presentation are great, but I feel the overall experience is lacking. Can't put my finger on why but everytime I start a new Emerald run I just give up halfway in.

Gen 4 Forgettable story, forgettable music, forgettable gyms, etc. HG/SS was great. D/P/Pn not so much

Gen 5 I commend its ambition and attempt at a solid story but I felt it was sloppy. The presentation was too edgy. City design was so over the top that I find it unmemorable. The big city...castelia or whatever is an absolute eyesore. Gyms are forgettable, it has the ugliest new set of pokemon in the series' history. And its attempts to push the limits of the DS hardware made for some really choppy visuals. It's the only generation where I didn't bother to play through one of the version sets (Black 2 and White 2) because I hated it so much.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gen 5 was ahead of its time and it suffered because of that

Sure. Doesn't excuse some of the worst pokemon designs in series history. And regardless of the reason, its flaws just weigh too heavily. Like I said, I commend them for trying but I have no desire to play any gen 5 game ever again.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
That feel when you aren't sure if you wanna play the demo cuz going in blind seems actually kinda fun

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
doesn't go live until 10am Eastern in NA

and therefore I won't be able to play until like 10pm

goodnight internet, see you in 24 hours. was really hoping to download before work :(

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Probably won't touch the demo unless there's some bonus/benefit to playing it once you get to the main game.

As for the previous gen discussion, my gripe with gen 3, specifically RSE was level scaling. I always felt like it encouraged/forced more grinding from gym to gym than the others. Especially Victory Road to the E4. I remember coming out of Victory Road around the low/mid 40s and then the E4 basically needs you to be close to/just above 50. But the mons in victory road were weak enough to really slow down the grinding.

and besides simplicity, Gen 1's other downfall is just how crazy stupid broken it is. Never mind that the lack of physical/special split cause problems and the type distribution is kinda wonky, there are multiple combat rules that just don't plain work the way they're supposed to and the balance is shot.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Also going back to our monthly "which gen is your favorite", 2nd gen is a wall.

4th gen will always have a sepcial part in my heart because that's when we could to wi-fi battles and I loved seeing some pokemon getting another evolution

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
SOME DETAILS ABOUT THE DEMO.
Also a new alolan form revealed... OMFG : ahahahahahahaha
[spoil]
Also, I was right. Battle Bond boosts Water Shuriken.
And the power of Z-moves depend on the power of the same-type move the pokémon has. 175 BP if thunderbolt... JESUS CHRIST THAT'S STRONG.[/spoil]

May 27, 2012
Earth
SOME DETAILS ABOUT THE DEMO.
Also a new alolan form revealed... OMFG : ahahahahahahaha
[spoil]
Also, I was right. Battle Bond boosts Water Shuriken.
And the power of Z-moves depend on the power of the same-type move the pokémon has. 175 BP if thunderbolt... JESUS CHRIST THAT'S STRONG.[/spoil]

Possibly the worst thing I have ever seen.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I feel like with how the Exp. Share works now that the games are too easy.
i don't know how many times I will have to say that grinding =\= difficulty. Just because it takes less time to level up your party with how the exp share works now doesn't, therefore, mean it's easier. It's just shorter and less annoying since you don't have to spend so much time grinding and farming the same things over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad