Pokemon Go thread #4

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Got a shiny today, so that takes the pressure off for the next couple weeks. I've caught more Lugia (9) in the past few days than I did during its original run (6). Oddly I had really good IV ones last year, back when I didn't quite grasp that concept. All the ones this week have been trashy for the most part. The shiny was my best one of the new batch at 2025.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Missed half of the Bulbasaur event due to a fantasy baseball draft. I had my phone/tablet to clumsily catch on mine and my nephew's accounts. While I was distracted on my nephew's account, I made the mistake of transferring a bad IV one on mine. Only at the last moment did I see the "Are you sure you want to transfer the special event" warning message but my thumb was already on its way down.

I figured I'd get a chance at another shiny with an hour left in the event. Nope. Frantically shiny checked for the last 20 minutes and completely forgot that I needed to evolve during the event as well.

But at least I got a shiny on my nephew's account.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I caught a level 30 91 IV Bulbasaur at 4:59 of the event. Couldn't get it evolved in time for it to get Frenzy Plant. Did evolve an ok shiny and a lower level 91 IV earlier during the event (both 91s 15 attack and HP)

Very excited for quests and to see where they go with Mew. Also got my 2nd Ex pass for Friday.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In exciting news from last year, caught a perfect Lugia yesterday. Thankfully no drama and got it on the 2nd throw. I flubbed both throws as well.

Quests/research tasks are set to begin on the 30th. Legendary/Mew encounters are the expected rewards. That should be a nice reward for some of my friends who can't raid regularly and missed out on most of the legendaries.

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
How does this research stuff work?? I updated my game today and the new loading screen indicates the research/missions are in game but nothing is new in the actually game. Have they not officially released the new features and the update was just in preparation??

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Finished up my Mew quest on Sunday during the Mareep event. I caught two shiny Mareep, neither that great, but one was weather boosted into the mid 30s for evolving. Pretty happy to get a 91 IV Mew along with a 96 IV Mewtwo from an EX raid two weeks ago.

The Kanto event really surprised, I was completely meh on it until it started. Then I had Machop everywhere. Racked up 500-600 Machop candy without really any effort at all, just catching them wherever I happened to be. I have terrible luck with Machamp raids, so I really was hurting for candy to evolve and power up some good Machop.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Kanto event was awesome. A double candy event was much needed, was able to finally transfer a lot of legendaries and clear out a lot of pokemon storage. Caught 8 shiny Mareep, none good but community day is a blast regardless. Can't wait for Charmander day.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Niantic apparently banned accounts which had certain spoofing apps on iOS.

Unfortunately my nephew's account got banned, although for unknown reasons. My sister sent me a screen shot about how she had a 7 day window to confirm her account. When she missed the window, Niantic deleted the account. My friend hypothesized that Niantic was trying to weed out PTC accounts created by bots. She filed an appeal, so hopefully they restore his account.

Helped my friend get enough Magikarp candy for that part of the Mew quest. I thought I had told her not to evolve until later, but apparently I hadn't. Now I have to find another nest.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Mine is
7384 2256 0334

Have to say this new feature is kind of cool. My username is jshdb23

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Haven't been playing much recently, but did do the Larvitar community day. Lucky enough to score a level 30 shiny 100% Larvitar with about 15 minutes left in the event.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It's crazy to me that this game is still a thing. It seems to me that Niantic dropped the ball HARD.

If they had waited for late spring 2018 and launched a full game they would have had much more longevity.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
It's crazy to me that this game is still a thing. It seems to me that Niantic dropped the ball HARD.

If they had waited for late spring 2018 and launched a full game they would have had much more longevity.

Ehhh, hindsight is always 20/20. They've learned a lot these last two years. This has been one of the most popular mobile games in the world since its release. I guess it depends on your area but around here (Long Island, New York) there's A TON of people that still play daily and for multiple hours a day.

The first summer was definitely a mess. I was around a level 23-25 when I stopped playing in August of '16. The game was definitely empty. What got me back into it was the gym rework and the release of raids in the summer of '17 and I haven't stopped playing since. While there were huge lulls and gaps in content during year 1, year 2 has been nothing but event after event and one new legendary raid boss right after another. They've done a great job keeping people engaged week to week. Increased spawns of a certain type, staggered releases of gen 3 pokemon, staggered releases of shiny pokemon, double XP events, double candy events, double everything events, rotating regionals, double gym badge XP, etc etc. Not to mention the release of research tasks, legendary pokemon as research rewards, MEW and now friendship and trading.

I don't think you could just wait 2 years from '16 to '18 and just drop the game we have now. It was all part of the journey to get to where it is now. In my local community I've seen so many new players/returning players this spring. I'm really expecting this summer to be huge for this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad