Pokemon Go thread #4

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
We had a decent snowstorm over the weekend, so I only managed two Kyogre raids on Friday, both weather boosted as we had rain transitioning to snow. It figures the first one was 15 CP off being a perfect with the weather boost (2895 CP), but had a lot of trouble hitting it. Did better on the 2nd, but didn't catch it either. Looks like it'll warm up again this weekend, so hopefully another shot at a boosted one.

That first one had blizzard, which hits like a truck.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
New update coming in the next day or two with lots of QOL fixes, thankfully. Kyogre is being re-scaled closer to the screen with the circle appearing larger. Caught 3 already but definitely was getting really tired of throwing at him

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Caught a 100% IV Kyogre today, was very excited. First 100% legendary I've caught in 223 legendary raids, though I did have a Zapdos run on me over the summer.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Caught a 98% Kyogre today. Highest IV legendary I've caught from a raid. Pretty sure I've only seen a 100 IV from any level of raid once, which was a Suicune that ran.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Even after bringing Kyogre closer to the screen it's still hard for me to catch. I'm 0/5 on them so far... Any idea how long they're around for? I only really get to play weekends and just want to catch one for the Pokedex entry...

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
More Generation III Pokémon incoming:

If the picture in the link is any indication, the following have been added in:

• Aron line
  • Whismur line
  • Numel line
  • Cacnea line
  • Trapinch line
  • Lunatone
  • Solrock

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
More Generation III Pokémon incoming:

If the picture in the link is any indication, the following have been added in:

• Aron line
  • Whismur line
  • Numel line
  • Cacnea line
  • Trapinch line
  • Lunatone
  • Solrock

That's 15/23. Based on the theme of the ones being introduced, I would guess the remaining eight are:
Torkoal
Nosepass
Baltoy/Claydol
Lileep/Cradily
Anorith/Armaldo

The remaining ones would mostly be Bug or Flying, and since the release waves seem themed I'm guessing we'll get the final wave around spring time, maybe early March. That would just leave the pseudos, some weird stand alones like Kecleon and Chimeco, and Clamperl line.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Really random wave of ExRaid passes was sent out today. I got one for a gym in Vietnam that I raided at during my vacation in December. Others said they got it for gyms they hadn't raided since last summer. And some others got it for gyms they never raided at all.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Two gyms in local parks triggered raids, none for me. Many of the invites seem to be people who haven't played at the location in months.

I don't know what's worse, not getting a pass this round or getting one for a gym that you spun the photodisk on once while on vacation 8 months ago.

I think the only criteria was having the gym badge. There were people on our local discord who literally only had the badge for the gym they got an invite to (all stats 0), while they had gold 5x over with multiple raids a week at another gym that triggered an EX raid (but they received no invite). Niantic just threw everything out the window on this one.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Another wave of ExRaid passes out. Thankfully it's a very doable time next Saturday. Fighting the urge to log into my nephew's account to see if he got the pass too, but I don't want to deprive him of the simple joy of the invite animation.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
yep, I got an EX pass next Saturday during my "normal" available time, worked out well

I have 3 Mewtwos already, but not once since October.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I got my first Mewtwo this past Saturday!! was not the best but I chucked 70 rare candy at him and he is my highest Pokemon, also Raquazza seems hard to catch, raided him yesterday and missed 3 of my ten balls which I hardly ever miss anymore since I became much more patient with my throws

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I got my first Mewtwo this past Saturday!! was not the best but I chucked 70 rare candy at him and he is my highest Pokemon, also Raquazza seems hard to catch, raided him yesterday and missed 3 of my ten balls which I hardly ever miss anymore since I became much more patient with my throws

Awesome! I did the same with my first Mewtwo. Mild regrets now that I've caught two better ones and I have a pass for this coming Saturday.

I missed my first Rayquaza, but have caught the last four. I did have some trouble yesterday catching on my nephew's account. I think it was a mix of throwing on a tablet and there being a smudge on the screen that was messing up the release point. I completely whiffed on three consecutive throws. I'll gradually work up the nerve to start going for excellent throws, but it's been relatively easy to hit great throws with the large hit box.

I went for my nightly walk and opted to go the opposite direction to go catch a nearby Larvitar. Along the way, I got my first shiny (Aron). Maybe ten minutes later, I got a shiny Luvdisc. Neither have great IVs, but I was happy to finally get one. Finally was patient enough to save my 10 km eggs and walked them all at once with a star piece on. But it was a bit of a dud: two Larvitars, two Dratinis, and a Feebas. I hatched a 15-14-15 Feebas last week, so I'll probably evolve that one during the Community Day event.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Caught a perfect Rayquaza today.

Nice!

Best I've had so far was a 2073 which unfortunately was on my nephew's account. He doesn't even have a bronze dragon badge. Ended up fleeing unfortunately. We had a rare windy day on Monday, so I managed to squeeze in a few weather boosted raids. Best one of the batch was 2582 (14/15/13).

Caught a L26 Bagon near work that day that was 14/15/14. I'll probably evolve that one during Community Day on Saturday. Debating where to be for that. Apparently Trainer Tips will be in San Diego for the event. A bunch of other YouTubers were down here last weekend, but it might just be easier to raid with my usual small group rather than deal with a large mob.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Caught a 14/14/14 shiny Dratini during the event. Was only level 11 but got plenty of stardust and candy during the event to power it up.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
226 Dratini caught, 6 shiny (all below 50% IV), two 100% (Level 28 and Level 9) from our local scanner, and about 930 Dratini candy.

What a fun day. Can't wait for the next one.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Encountered some weird screen glitch. It happened every once in awhile before, but today it was happening with each raid. I would do my typical motion and the ball wouldn't throw, or curve in the wrong direction, or get dropped. Gave my phone to my friend to try just to make sure I wasn't crazy and the same thing occurred.

Was annoyed enough to stop playing for awhile, but a nearby raid popped up at an ExRaid park. Went out there with a couple devices. Screen glitched happened again on my phone and a 2895 (96%) Kyogre got away. As a result I angrily wasted impatient throws on my tablet and a 2881 fled on that one.

Sadly I had to overcome the urge to throw my phone in frustration. Strange thing is that throwing to catch regular Pokemon seems to be fine. Had the same glitch catching a Zubat, but for the most part it seemed like it was only happening against raid bosses. [/venting]

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
0-4 on Rayquaza , not sure if Im going to get this one, those stupid Groudon and Kyr raids are all I ever see, really wish they did not let those respawn,

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is there a reason why potions are so hard to come by these days?

I seem to be overloaded with potions as raid rewards. I needed to clear out bag space last night and ended up discarding ~20 hyper potions. I seem to get a handful when spinning stops at gyms where I have gold and my team has control.

0-4 on Rayquaza , not sure if Im going to get this one, those stupid Groudon and Kyr raids are all I ever see, really wish they did not let those respawn,

During the original run, I never got a 90%+ IV Groudon. My nephew went 0/1 during the original run as well and I got his login only recently. So I was probably one of the few people happy to see it return. I was hoping to sneak in one last weather boosted Groudon during lunch, but nothing nearby spawned.

I had the opposite luck with Kyogre and got a decent number of good IVs. Not so much with Rayquaza. Best one so far was fortunately a weather boosted one from the one windy day we've had in the last month.

------------

Also double XP thru March 16. I almost did a lucky egg mass evolve this weekend, so it looks like procrastinating paid off.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Did a quick Vegas trip for the Devils/Knights game and picked up a couple weather boosted Rayquaza along the way. Was hoping to squeeze one more in yesterday, but only one other low level account popped in the lobby.

Lugia is back which'll be nice for me and my friends. I was still only a couple months into the game last year when the birds were released. Took at least a dozen attempts to get my Pokedex Lugia, but managed to get a few more towards the end. A couple friends had stopped playing by then but have gotten back into it, so this'll be there first crack at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad