Points Lost To Stupidity Thread

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think that’s our biggest issue. This isn’t our first rodeo with Hakstol, it’s not like “oh, he made a mistake but it’s only game 2!! I’m sure he’ll right the ship and learn from this, he’ll never do THAT again!”

This is a consistent and proven thing, so I don’t feel we are unjustified for complaining after only two games.
Right, which is exactly the same reason as why someone like Ghost or Giroux or Couturier doesn't get the same amount of hate when they screw up and cost the team, opposed to someone like Mac. They're still easily a net positive and you know the same mistakes aren't going to be a constant.

If someone is consistently making the same mistakes, the patience for them disappears.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Can't believe anyone would dare accuse someone of being overdramatic with a response like that

Yeah, I know what you mean. And I find it hard to believe that someone could be so phlegmatic after four years of the same bull**** to come on a site full of passionate Flyers fans and act like it's crazy - CRAZY! - that people would feel the need to vent.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
These aren't new issues.

They're a continuation of the last few years.

I think most people on here want to see the team win, so watching someone employed by the team do his best to stop them from doing that will obviously cause a bit of anger.

I know they aren't new issues -- I mentioned that in my reply to you. This is all expected, yet people act like it isn't. It's gotten to a point where people just want to moan about it rather than expel energy on looking at positives or seeing possibly even why Hak would've made the change -- beats the heck out of banging your head against the wall in hopes that a zebra is going to change its stripes.

Like I said: I gladly encourage you to be proactive in removing Hakstol -- I'm on board with Hak being fired. However, as I mentioned before and I stand by it, y'all are unhinged with your seething hatred of Hak to the point of being pretty unhealthy (IMO) and that only breeds more hatred to the point of irrational behavior (i.e. this thread).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I said immediately I disagreed with playing Folin over Gudas.

But anyone who thinks that individual decision cost the Flyers a win is looney.

They only scored 2 goals, the second being an utter fluke.

And the entire D aside from Ghost & Hagg were terrible.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The part I love about all of this, is that with the contrarian set it's the skill players who get **** on when they go through normal growing pains or slumps, but meanwhile the crap players get free passes even when they're 10 year vets.

I don't give anyone free passes, I just don't exaggerate like many of the clowns who post here.
Folin had an awful first period, Voracek had an awful game, Provorov had a bad game.
All three are factual assertions that pass both the eyeball and analytic tests.
But if Folin doesn't get a pass, why should Voracek and Provorov?
The fact that Provorov will bounce back doesn't negate THIS game.
In a game thread, how you play that game is what matters, not whether you're a core player .

Hagg and Lehtera have been solid so far, great players, uh no, but given their roles (Hagg is getting 3rd pair minutes, Lehtera as 4C playing the fewest ES minutes of all the forwards), they've played up to and even exceeded what you'd expect from that role. Maybe it's a fluke, or maybe they've improved from last year.

Silly to jump to conclusions after 2 games, like I've said, 1st quarter of the season is the shakeout cruise in all sports.
We just saw Toronto lose at home to Ottawa, does that mean Ottawa is the better team? Doubtful.
Hextall is going to want all 3 defensemen play for a while, see if MacDonald gets his legs back, whether Gudas gets his mojo back, whether Folin is serviceable - and he's not going to jump to conclusions off one game. Notice Sanheim, despite his struggles, got his minutes, they want him to succeed.

The second and third lines are works in progress, and I doubt the 1st line will look this bad going forward.
Right now the Patrick line looks very shaky, but we saw what they could do last year. No need to panic.

Hakstol needs to rest Raffl at times, he's had injury issues and plays a physical game that starts to wear on a player as he ages. Same with Simmonds. So I expect more "idiot" threads when he does so, even if it's a "smart" long-term move.

We've seen too many marginal players go from solid one season to off the cliff the next year, and the only way to see if a player has NHL legs is to throw him out there. You want to find these things out early in the season when you have time to make moves, instead of having to pick up a Mrazek for a 3rd rd pick out of desperation.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
094fxLl.jpg

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
As long as you're satisfied with mediocrity then the flyers have tons to be happy about!

So Hakstol is the reason why we haven't had a defense to speak of during his time at the helm or consistent goaltending?

You right you right. Just blame it all on the coach and none of it on the fact that we are supposed to be mediocre-to-good at this stage in the rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it based on pure talent alone. Hakstol, with all of his faults, is not the number 1 reason why we aren't lifting the Stanley Cup or even sniffing it: we just haven't had the talent. It's indisputable.

Don't get me wrong: Hakstol has made some things worse I believe, but anything more than 2nd round of the playoffs any of his seasons would've been borderline-miracle.

So yes: I'm content with mediocre results because that was always in the cards. This is a speed bump in the grand scheme of things y'all. In two years, it'll be so insanely petty to care about what a scrub on the 4th line is doing. Hell, by next year it won't matter I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadhead

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I actually don’t think Patrick has been nearly as horrible as some are saying... has he played particularly well? No, but I don’t see these horrible plays that others are seeing. He certainly isn’t back to being as slow and irrelevant as he was in the first half of last year when he was still hurt.

I just see a player that is pressing because he wants to get on the scoreboard, rather than letting plays unfold organically.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
They lost by 3 goals, & 1 of the 2 goals they received was a gift.

Folin is a wreck & shouldn’t have played over Gudas. But focusing on that one lineup decision, & ignoring how badly Sanheim played & Patrick played at 2C is what frustrates me about this board. Whipping boys get blamed for everything; not a peep about other (favorites) having costly performances.

Dont you think being paired with Folin kight be part of the reason he had a bad game?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dont you think being paired with Folin kight be part of the reason he had a bad game?

No. Because it isn't like Gudas is that big of a difference over Folin.
Sanheim struggled with the aggressive Avs attack, so did Provorov for that matter.
It's the second game, on the road, at high altitude, I wouldn't read that much into it.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
No. Because it isn't like Gudas is that big of a difference over Folin.
Sanheim struggled with the aggressive Avs attack, so did Provorov for that matter.
It's the second game, on the road, at high altitude, I wouldn't read that much into it.
Sanheim did struggle abit and anyone that says he didn’t is luring. But

Facts:
1. Sanheim + Gudas = Good Game
2. Sanheim + Folin = Horrible Game

There is something to that. Those are the facts right there. Throwing things in there like altitude has no relevance here. If game 3 Gudas is back and Sanheim struggles, we can start throwing it up there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
However, assuming A + B therefore C is a commonplace statistical fallacy.
Maybe Sanheim sucked simply because he was overmatched by Colorado's speed, had an off game, struggled with the altitude, and would have been just as bad if Gudas had played.
Obviously, you need a much larger sample to jump to any conclusions.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So Hakstol is the reason why we haven't had a defense to speak of during his time at the helm or consistent goaltending?

You right you right. Just blame it all on the coach and none of it on the fact that we are supposed to be mediocre-to-good at this stage in the rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it based on pure talent alone. Hakstol, with all of his faults, is not the number 1 reason why we aren't lifting the Stanley Cup or even sniffing it: we just haven't had the talent. It's indisputable.

Don't get me wrong: Hakstol has made some things worse I believe, but anything more than 2nd round of the playoffs any of his seasons would've been borderline-miracle.

So yes: I'm content with mediocre results because that was always in the cards. This is a speed bump in the grand scheme of things y'all. In two years, it'll be so insanely petty to care about what a scrub on the 4th line is doing. Hell, by next year it won't matter I'm sure.
Not going to waste time getting into a back-and-forth here because obviously your mind is made up, but yes, he obviously is the biggest problem right now.

He’s the one choosing to use Mac as his #3 and on the top PK. He had other options, this was his choice. Just like he chose to replace Gudas with an inferior defensemen. He could use Mac on the bottom pair and limit the damage he can do, but he obviously loves the guy. And it’s choices like this that are doing the most damage to this team.

As long as he’s here, we’ll continue to see the same mistakes made and they’ll continue to lose us games, like last night. Every year teams are fighting to make the playoffs by a matter of one or two points... There are no unimportant games. None.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->