Prospect Info: Podkolzin

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
There’s been lots of posters that seem to hate his game for no reason, I’ve read a lot of people that say don’t want him but don’t give a reason I assume it’s cuz he is Russian

For me, it’s his lack of numbers. I know he bounced around from league to league, but his numbers weren’t great anywhere except in tournaments. I know numbers aren’t the end all be all, but with regards to a player you’re drafting 3rd overall, you’d like to see some really good numbers. I’m not saying I don’t want him either, just that for me personally, he’s lower on my board. Now, if he goes and absolutely lights up the U-18 Worlds, he could be right there. He’s definitely in consideration for 3rd overall.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
From everything I've read there isn't a huge separation in projected ceilings of Podkolzin and Cozens - certainly not enough of a difference when you consider (1) the uncertainty of if/when Podkolzin comes to play in N.A. and (2) Podkolzin is exclusively a winger whereas Cozens is a center who can also play on the wing. Cozens will be playing in the NHL no later than 2020/21 and possibly even by next season if the team that gets him starts him out on wing.

I've seen Byram play a couple times and he is pretty slick on offense but he doesn't look like an NHL ready d-man stud by any stretch. He may end up being a top-pairing guy but there's no way he looks that good right now from a defensive perspective.
I think they go forward here too. And because of the injury issues with one and the uncertainty with pod, I too think Cozens is gonna be their pick.

I have no idea who SHOULD be their pick. But think he will be.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Dach or Cozens. Hawks won't pick a Russian with that pick.

upload_2019-4-15_9-26-59.jpeg

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Pods can't play here for what will likely be 3 years - he has two more years left on his contract, that means the next 2 seasons he is out unless he buys out of the contract himself, or is able to sign after the season ends in the final year...so with him you are very possibly looking at 3 years away to see him..how many teams picking in the top 5 want to deal with that scenario, plus maybe even a 10-15% chance he doesn't come after that contract ends?

No doubt. A full on rebuild team can surely wait 3+ years for Pods. Blackhawks and their 21 million cap hit duo, not so much. Championship window is still open with Toews and Kaner, Stan already wasted career seasons out of them by not making the playoffs this year. Blackhawks will not only draft best player available but one that they deem able to make the NHL jump right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->