Prospect Info: Podkolzin

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To be clear, he not shown anything either way about coming or staying.

He says he would consider coming to NA when he is ready

If your spending a #3 pick in draft on someone who already is committed to not coming over next 2 years and then you have no assurances he wont sign another contract in Russia it is a concern

A guy like Svec last year was easy pick given talent and fact he was playing in NA with no commitments to Russia or desire to play in Russia over NHL

This is not comparable situation

And guys like Vasilevskiy and Samsonov both expressed desire to make immediate jump to NA when KHL contracts were up before draft to teams

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He says he would consider coming to NA when he is ready

If your spending a #3 pick in draft on someone who already is committed to not coming over next 2 years and then you have no assurances he wont sign another contract in Russia it is a concern

A guy like Svec last year was easy pick given talent and face he was playing in NA with no commitments to Russia or desire to play in Russia over NHL

This is not comparable situation

And guys like Vasilevskiy and Samsonov both expressed desire to make immediate jump to NA when KHL contracts were up before draft to teams

I never said they were comparable?

Do you have the quote? The key will be what he says in interviews. It is a weird situation because it is not really smart to say yeah I want to leave when you are under contract. It is a complicated situation.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He is signed for 2 more years, so that makes him 3 years away unless he buys out his own contract (or if he is eligible to sign once his season ends in the KHL in that final year)....I honestly do not see any team even looking his way in the top 5 with his situation. I would imagine he would come over once his KHL deal is done, but most teams picking in the top 5 do not want to wait 3 years until they see a kid come over to North America hoping he doesn't sign another KHL deal.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
I can’t believe the Hawks would draft him if there was any doubt in their mind he’s not coming over. So if they draft him, I’ll be happy because I’ll know they know.

Reactions: Castle8130

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What connections? We had one player come from Russia a player who was talking to multiple clubs not just Hawks

And our Russian connections have meant nothing with regard to getting Shalunov back over here

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
BWC already explained it. It is not known when he will come to North America. I think we must draft someone who can help us from the get go. Unfortunately, Toews and Kane aren't getting any younger. I want at least one or two cups more before our duo era ends.

Last edited:

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
I am gonna go out on a limb and guess it has something to do with Russian liquor/and or hookers...
I don't drink anymore, but when I did drink, I always choose to drink anything but vodka. Speaking about Russian hookers, I've never had problems with them.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What connections? We had one player come from Russia a player who was talking to multiple clubs not just Hawks

And our Russian connections have meant nothing with regard to getting Shalunov back over here

He coached the team Podkolzin plays for....let me guess its insignificant...

Reactions: ClydeLee

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
upload_2019-4-14_11-55-44.png

does barry smith play a part in the evaluation process re: podkolzin...we'll see

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If the 1-2 years to get here thing is the knock against Podkolzin, @pvr just posted in the other thread that Byram may need 1-2 developmental years before reaching the nhl.

So both guys may not wear a Hawks sweater for a few years, so that essentially evens them out.

You need to take the guy who has the most talent here, not the guy who may or may not arrive first.

I think that means Pods needs to stay in this conversation at #3, and you really need to be sure Byram is more talented before passing on Podkolzin.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If the 1-2 years to get here thing is the knock against Podkolzin, @pvr just posted in the other thread that Byram may need 1-2 developmental years before reaching the nhl.

So both guys may not wear a Hawks sweater for a few years, so that essentially evens them out.

You need to take the guy who has the most talent here, not the guy who may or may not arrive first.

I think that means Pods needs to stay in this conversation at #3, and you really need to be sure Byram is more talented before passing on Podkolzin.
Pods can't play here for what will likely be 3 years - he has two more years left on his contract, that means the next 2 seasons he is out unless he buys out of the contract himself, or is able to sign after the season ends in the final year...so with him you are very possibly looking at 3 years away to see him..how many teams picking in the top 5 want to deal with that scenario, plus maybe even a 10-15% chance he doesn't come after that contract ends?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Pods can't play here for what will likely be 3 years - he has two more years left on his contract, that means the next 2 seasons he is out unless he buys out of the contract himself, or is able to sign after the season ends in the final year...so with him you are very possibly looking at 3 years away to see him..how many teams picking in the top 5 want to deal with that scenario, plus maybe even a 10-15% chance he doesn't come after that contract ends?

But if Byram needs 2 developmental years, which some believe but I know you don’t, then he won’t be here for three years either. It would be the same wait.

If that’s the case, you absolutely pick the more talented one, not the one you think may come 6 months earlier.

Again, I know you reject the premise Byram may need that development time, but I’m saying in the event he does then you absolutely need to keep the debate over Podkolzin open.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
This kid gets a lot of hate but he is obviously a really good player, lots of people hating on him because he is Russian but he is for sure a top 5 player in this draft

Is it because he is Russian or because he is a chippy/wildcard of a player? Everyone seems to love Panarin.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But if Byram needs 2 developmental years, which some believe but I know you don’t, then he won’t be here for three years either. It would be the same wait.

If that’s the case, you absolutely pick the more talented one, not the one you think may come 6 months earlier.

Again, I know you reject the premise Byram may need that development time, but I’m saying in the event he does then you absolutely need to keep the debate over Podkolzin open.
to me there is a difference of a player possibly needing 1-2 years of development vs a player contractually obligated elsewhere for 2-3 years..we can watch Byram close to home, he can make the team the following year as well..that just isn't in the cards for Pods - for a top 3 pick, I think teams want to have more control with that pick than what Pods currently allows..just my opinion.

Reactions: hawksrule and LDF

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
to me there is a difference of a player possibly needing 1-2 years of development vs a player contractually obligated elsewhere for 2-3 years..we can watch Byram close to home, he can make the team the following year as well..that just isn't in the cards for Pods - for a top 3 pick, I think teams want to have more control with that pick than what Pods currently allows..just my opinion.

The control over development argument is legitimate even if both may not arrive in the nhl for 3 years. I get where you’re coming from on that.

Still, if (and I mean in theory because i don’t know) Podkolzin is much more talented, does it matter that you control byram’s development when Podkolzin may naturally be the better player regardless?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The control over development argument is legitimate even if both may not arrive in the nhl for 3 years. I get where you’re coming from on that.

Still, if (and I mean in theory because i don’t know) Podkolzin is much more talented, does it matter that you control byram’s development when Podkolzin may naturally be the better player regardless?
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, it just depends on a teams comfort level and the relationship they have with the player, his agent, and the team he plays for...

who is the last Russian player that went in the top 3 or let alone top 5 that did NOT come over to North America to play for their draft year?? I honestly have no clue, I will go out on a limb and guess at least 10 years ago - Filatov perhaps?? that didn't work out so well either. Most of the top Russian kids came over to play in the CHL/USHL for their draft years proving their willingness to want to be here...I just don't see a team picking in the top 5 selecting this kid when it hasn't likely happened in over 10 years for a reason..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
From everything I've read there isn't a huge separation in projected ceilings of Podkolzin and Cozens - certainly not enough of a difference when you consider (1) the uncertainty of if/when Podkolzin comes to play in N.A. and (2) Podkolzin is exclusively a winger whereas Cozens is a center who can also play on the wing. Cozens will be playing in the NHL no later than 2020/21 and possibly even by next season if the team that gets him starts him out on wing.

I've seen Byram play a couple times and he is pretty slick on offense but he doesn't look like an NHL ready d-man stud by any stretch. He may end up being a top-pairing guy but there's no way he looks that good right now from a defensive perspective.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
From everything I've read there isn't a huge separation in projected ceilings of Podkolzin and Cozens - certainly not enough of a difference when you consider (1) the uncertainty of if/when Podkolzin comes to play in N.A. and (2) Podkolzin is exclusively a winger whereas Cozens is a center who can also play on the wing. Cozens will be playing in the NHL no later than 2020/21 and possibly even by next season if the team that gets him starts him out on wing.

I've seen Byram play a couple times and he is pretty slick on offense but he doesn't look like an NHL ready d-man stud by any stretch. He may end up being a top-pairing guy but there's no way he looks that good right now from a defensive perspective.
Finally someone who didn't get caught up in the Byram hype

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->