Proposal: Podkolzin for Turcotte straight up

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Podkolzin had too many successive seasons of being a depth player on the parent club when he should have been getting big minutes developing. He's finally getting minutes and developing, so they may as well stick with it.
Canucks were successful with sending Hoglander down, and bringing him back up this year as a more complete player. Now it looks like Podkolzin is following the same trajectory.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Podkolzin had too many successive seasons of being a depth player on the parent club when he should have been getting big minutes developing. He's finally getting minutes and developing, so they may as well stick with it.
Canucks were successful with sending Hoglander down, and bringing him back up this year as a more complete player. Now it looks like Podkolzin is following the same trajectory.
I agree. Podkolzin is looking really good in Abby this year, and will likely make the team out of camp next year. Our bottom 6 has been outstanding this season, and Pods year has been going very well, so no need to bring him up quite yet.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think Pod would be a semi-effective bottom six player at present, if he bought into Tocchet's system. I also think he still has more to potentially give, based on his rising play in the AHL.

I wouldn't minding adding Turcotte as a low risk acquisition, but I'd be happier with Podkolzin if that's the price.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think both teams probably just prefer to run what they brung.

I have no interest in Turcotte from a Canucks perspective. I've never liked the guy right back to the draft, but add in all the injuries and inability to establish his skill and i just don't see the point.

Podkolzin has also struggled to establish himself at the NHL level, but he's at least shown brief flashes of what he could be there, and seems to have things back on track with his confidence at the AHL level. He's also far more likely to be useful in a bottom-6 role where he can at least be a big body grinder with a few flashes of skill. Turcotte is slow as a turtle and kinda soft. He's much more of a "top-6 or bust" type player. And Top-6 is looking like a real stretch at this point for both.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Feels like the devil you know is better than the one you don't

I don't think it's a trade that gets made, too much risk for a win condition

I think both teams probably just prefer to run what they brung.

I have no interest in Turcotte from a Canucks perspective. I've never liked the guy right back to the draft, but add in all the injuries and inability to establish his skill and i just don't see the point.

Podkolzin has also struggled to establish himself at the NHL level, but he's at least shown brief flashes of what he could be there, and seems to have things back on track with his confidence at the AHL level. He's also far more likely to be useful in a bottom-6 role where he can at least be a big body grinder with a few flashes of skill. Turcotte is slow as a turtle and kinda soft. He's much more of a "top-6 or bust" type player. And Top-6 is looking like a real stretch at this point for both.

Turcotte is definitely not slow and he's absolutely a bottom six NHLer at worst right this minute pending health. If there's one thing he doesn't have an issue with, it's a useful NHL floor. He's not a big body but he's a buzzsaw like Lizotte. Both guys are more similar than you'd like to admit here imo. But I agree that neither team would jump.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Feels like the devil you know is better than the one you don't

I don't think it's a trade that gets made, too much risk for a win condition

Turcotte is definitely not slow and he's absolutely a bottom six NHLer at worst right this minute pending health. If there's one thing he doesn't have an issue with, it's a useful NHL floor. He's not a big body but he's a buzzsaw like Lizotte. Both guys are more similar than you'd like to admit here imo. But I agree that neither team would jump.
Sorry, but I just don't get how you can say this. The only thing that Turcotte has going for him was being really good on the USDP 5-6 years ago, and being picked 5th overall in the draft. It's been a spotty, mediocre AHL career since. To say that his floor is as a bottom six NHL'er is pretty optimistic. He has work to do just to be considered a Tyson Jost/Sam Steel/ Newhook type player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pass. Not that turchott is bad. He’s a riskier while podkolzin seems to have a higher floor and is exactly the type of player tochket likes. Management just wants pods to have more meaningful minutes rather than 4th line minutes.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I would like to renew my interest in Turcotte, if there is a package of picks or a roster player that we could get him for, instead of Podkolzin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In the NHL, top prospects rarely get traded for one another. The problem is, while Podkolzin is still one of the Canucks top prospects and soon to be a staple in the NHL, I'm not sure about Turcotte.

He's having a better year in the AHL, but still no lock to be an everyday player. If the Kings move on from Turcotte, it'll be more likely they acquire draft picks or immediate player help at the trade deadline.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Podkolzin is a power forward that requires a long development. I would rather see his progression through esp what he does in a tight checking playoff series. He's doing very well in the A right now.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
As a Kings fan I’d pass. Hoping Turc is still going to show the potential he was drafted with. John Hoven stated he has a skill set that’s not matched by anyone in the organization.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sorry, but I just don't get how you can say this. The only thing that Turcotte has going for him was being really good on the USDP 5-6 years ago, and being picked 5th overall in the draft. It's been a spotty, mediocre AHL career since. To say that his floor is as a bottom six NHL'er is pretty optimistic. He has work to do just to be considered a Tyson Jost/Sam Steel/ Newhook type player.

Lots and lots of viewings. And the fact that he should have been on the team out of camp and simply didn't because of waivers. Kings are notorious for mishandling prospects.

It sounds like people have their minds made up and i'm not going to change them, but the questions about Turcotte were always health and ultimate offensive upside, not his pro game/attention to detail. his shot has never developed and is a muffin so it looks like that's not going to be a thing, but he's an excellent playmaker and creates offense with his forecheck and tenacity...pretty much a stereotypical modern era king, like Lizotte or Moore.

I've never until this thread see people question if he can be an NHLer at all, it was always well is he going to be a checker or a Mike Richards. Pending health, of course. I can see people not wanting to risk that. But regardless of that I don't see how anyone can suggest Pod has upside AND floor and Turcotte has neither thing on ability alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad