Podcasts

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I have a specific reason for starting this thread, but this can also serve as an all-purpose Podcast thread, since I could not find one here.

Next week I am embarking on a road trip, I am looking for something to listen to on the drive, specifically a new podcast to get into. I have lots of music but I tend to get bored of music after a couple hours. I am looking for recommendations of podcasts to get into that I can binge on my trip.

My two favorites right now, that are must-listen when they came out with a new episode are Hello Internet and Ongoing History of New Music.

I am not necessarily looking for a sports-related one, I spend so much of my spare time already watching, reading, and listening to people talk about sports, looking for something different. My general interests are music (rock), food/cooking, outdoors/active living, and Hockey/Football.

I love Ongoing History for it's music news, history, trivia, minutia, ect.

I love Hello Internet because it's simply 2 guys with great chemistry talking about things I only have passing interest in.

Give me your best recommendations!

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I mostly listen to history shows. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is ridiculously good. Long episodes, though.

When Diplomacy Fails is pretty far into the Versailles peace negotiations right now (100th anniversary and all) - that's really good, too.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mostly listen to history shows. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is ridiculously good. Long episodes, though.

When Diplomacy Fails is pretty far into the Versailles peace negotiations right now (100th anniversary and all) - that's really good, too.

I'm about halfway through listening to his series on the Persian Empire for the second time. Easily the best history podcast out there. I'd also recommend both of Mike Duncan's podcasts, The History of Rome and Revolutions.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Can someone steer me in the right direction on a good app to use or a good site to get stuff from?

I'm on Android and use Podcast Addict. It does the job for me, but I haven't used anything else as a point of comparison.

Things I end up listening to end up being movies and pop culture oriented:

Doug Loves Movies
How Did This Get Made
Unspooled
Storm of Spoilers (a Game of Thrones podcast that branches out to other pop culture stuff when there aren't episodes on)
Reply All (occasional listen, explores technology issues)

I listen to some political podcasts when there are some stories I'm following. Fivrthirthyeight for American politics and the CBC Poll cast for Canadian stuff.

I listen to NPR Planet Money if something on there catches my eye.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I used to listen to Hardcore History but I had trouble following the stories. I had the same issue with audiobooks. Clearly that’s on me.

I’m really into the following ones:

The Complete Guide to Everything (comedy)
Uhh Yeah Dude
Against the Rules
Reply All
Decoder Ring
Political Gabfest
WTF

I had to unsubscribe from some because I just had too much and still do, but those are generally my favorites.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Podcast Addict if you have an android

Seconding podcast addict, great app.

I would recommend The Daily for news, I like Pod Save America for politics. Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is pretty funny and could be a good road trip podcast.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Seconding podcast addict, great app.

I would recommend The Daily for news, I like Pod Save America for politics. Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is pretty funny and could be a good road trip podcast.

My only problem with both Pod Save America and Conan are the ads are too numerous and long.

I don’t care if the ads are funny sometimes. I don’t want to hear them.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Age of Persuasion. Now called Under the Influence? About marketing/business/branding and the guy has a good voice for keeping you listening. The stories are really good.

Reactions: insomniac

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
The Dollop is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Two comediens discuss a crazy story from history (usually American).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good Lord, guys. I've heard of podcasts but, as an older guy, I have no real idea of what they are. Sorry I asked.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Marc Maron’s podcast is enjoyable, although I haven’t listened in quite some time. Conan’s podcast is fun, but if you’re not a fan of his, I’m not sure I’d bother. The Nerdist can be good to listen to depending on the guest.

I enjoy long form interviews, whether it’s a podcast or not. It really gives the interviewer time to get into many different topics with the guest.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is pretty funny and could be a good road trip podcast.

The Inside Conan podcast is good too, though it'd appeal more to people who follow his show cause it often references things that happen on recent episodes.

I tried to get into Armchair Expert, but something about Dax Shepard I find very unappealing despite me liking a lot of his guests. I think it's because every single episode I've listen to, and I've done about half a dozen, he kisses everyone's ass in it and it gets pretty tiresome.

If you're into science and trivia, I like Scishow Tangents too, but I find I can't listen to it as background noise because I'll keep rewinding it to listen to the facts I missed, whereas other podcasts I can just have the banter running.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Some recommendations from my feed:

Joe Rogan: It's a bit hit and miss depending on the guest and I routinely skip episodes. Basically I will skip any political guest or episodes dedicated to MMA or nutrition or hunting. However from time to time there are great guests. There is an entire sub-category of this podcast revolving around conspiracy theories about The Sphinx and The Great Pyramid and theoretical ancient technologically advanced civilizations that I enjoy- look for podcasts involving Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock, it's all very crackpot stuff but entertaining. Also any episodes involving scientists or philosophers are great.

DoubleToasted: They have many podcasts around the topic of movies and general pop culture discussions with a comedic take on things.

Sean Carrol's Mindscape: The theme of the podcast is that there is a guest each week on the show from a different field and talks to us about interesting things in it. It ranges from physicists to historians to professional poker players to philosophers. You learn something new everytime.

Rob Has A Podcast: Podcasts about reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother. Your mileage may vary on these ones. This is what I usually put in the background when I am doing something that will distract me from paying attention to the podcast so I need to the podcast to be something that doesn't lose value if you miss stuff.

Dear Hank and John: Done by authors and brothers John and Hank Green. You don't need to be a reader of their books to listen. The format is of an advice column from a magazine where people send them questions for advice on various situations.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I just recently got into 'Podcasts' for the first time a couple months ago with Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and am just finishing up the last of the big compilations/series (Ghosts of the Ostfront). I'm a little limited in how much I can multitask and follow along, but it's perfect for me when driving, walking, cooking, or cleaning.

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
Good Lord, guys. I've heard of podcasts but, as an older guy, I have no real idea of what they are. Sorry I asked.

The way you worded your post made it seem like you never heard the word podcast before. Someone posted the wikipedia link, you should check it out.:thumbu: I'll also vouch for Hardcore History and Rogans podcast. Something Else To Wrestle With is a great podcast about pro wrestling. Bruce Pritchard who was one of Vince Mcmahons right hand guys for 20 plus years talks about behind the scenes happenings during his time at WWF/WWE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad