GDT: PO Game 6 | Columbus vs. Washington | 4/23 7:30PM | CNBC, FSOhio

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bob's sv% for the series through 5 games is only .912. Tonight he was .815. Not what a Vezina winning goalie should be doing. It is better than last year and I don't think he deserves full blame for the series because the D was terrible this series but he had too many softies tonight that ended the series. He needed to step up and steal it and he didn't.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
We all rip on Fliggy, but he’s the best captain we’ve had. He showed up tonight in a do or die game
Huge props to you Captain

You can see his disappointment. He genuinely cares and feels bad for the fans
If one player will keep me being a fan of this. team, it’s him.
I love me some Fligs. I know the popular opinion is that he’s gone soon but personally I’d be happy if he stays around for a while.

Go ahead. Rip me a new one. I could use a new one.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The lack of an effective Power Play was devastating and not something that we could overcome. You've got to make the opposition pay when they play a man short. Look at games 1 and 2 when we converted and look at the subsequent games where we didn't. To me that was a critical difference between winning and losing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bob's sv% for the series through 5 games is only .912. Tonight he was .815. Not what a Vezina winning goalie should be doing. It is better than last year and I don't think he deserves full blame for the series because the D was terrible this series but he had too many softies tonight that ended the series. He needed to step up and steal it and he didn't.

Didn't even need to steal it, just don't give up the softies. 3-3 and OT, fine. But the DSP was a soul sucker.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
As much as it hurts now, I’ll be back cheering these boys on in October. It’s been a long road, but another lesson learned and they’ll be back playing in late April again.
I’m not sure of a lot of things, but I’m sure of this. They’ll use this heartbreak as fuel to be better

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Absolutely, first, it was he has trouble with the Penguins , now it’s Penguins, and Washington. His stats this series , end up being about his career average in the playoffs, which is just bad .

Career playoff stats
5-13 3.41 GAA. .894 save percentage . That’s what 8.4 million gets you.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Well to sum things up:
1. Caps are simply the better team. Superior forwards, superior goalie play, more sustained offensive pressure overall, better quality shots.
2. Same problems we've seen all year were there again tonight: (a) Broken power play (since Jan 2017!), (b) the need for another elite forward and continued growth of the young guys. You have Panarin, skilled young 'uns who get pushed around (Bjork, Milano, Wennberg), and 1st/2nd line JAG vets who are well overpaid. Even when they establish a strong forecheck they don't have the skill to get it in the net... mighty frustrating to watch.
3. Bob. Some of us took flak for noting last game that Bob has never had a shutdown game in 16-17 games with the Jackets. He wasn't awful like last year, but Jackets are coming to a crossroads w/a guy making huge dollars. He came into this postseason with a lot to prove and didn't silence the doubts.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
BTW, this is why I opposed the deals for Foligno, Dubinsky, and was middling at best on Cam (due to age as much as anything). In a cap league, you need to pay guys who move the needle. Throwing $6M/year at league average type guys who will soon enough be 30... don't like. This is how teams hamstring themselves. Compare them to their counterparts on the opposing team.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The lack of an effective Power Play was devastating and not something that we could overcome. You've got to make the opposition pay when they play a man short. Look at games 1 and 2 when we converted and look at the subsequent games where we didn't. To me that was a critical difference between winning and losing.

This, to me, supersedes the Bob talk. Keep them off the power play, or score on our power plays, and Bob doesn't emerge as the blame-getter. His save % is definitely impacted by the Caps lethal PP.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man I just checked Denis Savard's contract status I could not believe that guy has a contract until forever. What a awful couple of blown plays. He wasn't any where near the defensive zone on the Caps earlier goal but that wasn't enough so he got caught moving in to pinch on the later one. Didn't even look like he cared that much. I'd get rid of that guy if I could but that contract goes until 2012-and the whole league saw him tonight.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Calvs might know something that we don’t.. very well could’ve played his last game for us tonight. Either way, he kept us afloat in this series. One of the few players that brought it every game.

Ugh. Calvert is so darn good in the playoffs. Would love to keep him, but Dubi's contract as well as Foligno's make it tough given the other contracts we need to get done.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
My line in the sand will be if the Blue Jackets come back next year with the same assistant coach in charge of the PP.
They really need a reach for this to be true, his contract ended tonight.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
When you sit down in the shoot twice zone at the pond, you really see what kind of punishment the Jackets put on the back wall with their missed shots... bang, pow, smack. David Savard, Cam...did it seem to others like this team was worse than previous years at this?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He was not hurt most of the year. He played like he was hurt, true. Pooh played well in this playoff series, I must admit. But his contract for what he produces is another example of Jarmo just giving money away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->