GDT: PO Game 2: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 4/14 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is pretty much false. It would be nice to have an elite forward or two (remember those trying to say Atkinson was elite?) and a couple might develop into in that. However this is skill on this team, even at forward. I hardly classify Atkinson, Saad, OB, and Wennberg as "grinders". Our top pairing on D are highly skilled.

I think where we fail is in classification. We look at Crosby and think that is "skilled". No that is franchise/generational talent. Most teams don't have players like that.

Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Do some research. For once. Please.:laugh:

Since the lockout season starting with Carolina in 06, every Stanley Cup winning has had a top 15 scorer in that regular season except the 2011 Bruins, who rode Tim Thomas to that Cup.

06 Carolina Staal.....7
07 Ducks Getzlaf....15
08 Wings Datsyuk....4
09 Pens Malkin....1
10 Hawks Kane....9
11 Bruins Lucic....39
12 LA Kopitar...15
13 Hawks Kane....5
14 LA Kopitar...16
15 Hawks Kane....4 (in PPG he was injured and only played 61 games) Toews was 23rd
16 Pens Crosby 3

Top end scoring talent is a virtual necessity to win a Cup. Atkinson finished 33rd in the league this season. That's likely his high water mark.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think this shows what's really wrong with the team makeup: the real lack of 'skilled' players...grinder after grinder (which the CBJ has in spades) will eventually score after grinding it out for a while, but the lack of real playmakers is killing this team when it needs it...and what skilled guys the team has [i.e. Saad, Atkinson, maybe Bjork, Gagner] haven't played anywhere close to their potential in weeks...sure, the high SOG number has to yield something eventually, but putting pucks into a goalie's chest all night isn't going to win many games...[spoken from a season ticket holder, rant over, flame away] :-/

I for one agree in its entirety. We desperately need a Kane, Crosby, Kessel, Taresenko, etc. kind of player. Where do we get that kind of player? Beats me. Surely not from somewhere low 20's in a weak draft. Nobody trades that kind of player. So maybe we try the Bruins approach and hope Wennberg & PLD (or a guy like Duchene) can drop Dubi to the 3rd line. Maybe in a few years Wennberg, PLD, Milano, Bjorkstrand,Saad, Atkinson & Abramov give us a very skilled fast top 6 (with one in reserve). But we need more creative offensive players imo.

I agree with this assessment, too. Tweeted about it last night...

This series proves how badly we needed to draft 1st of 2nd overall last summer, and not 3rd. We desperately need an offensive game breaker in the lineup, and just missed out on drafting generational talent last summer. Imagine the lineup with Matthews or Laine in the mix.

Even if Washington, Pittsburgh, and Chicago's windows are "closing" in the next year or two, we can't expect to compete for a cup against the top teams of the league in the future without a "star" forward. Ofcourse, one of our players currently on the roster or in the pipeline could turn into that "star", but I think we all know what we have. And that's not a player who can singlehandedly carry the team or take over a game/series.

This issue needs to be addressed over the offseason in some way. I'm not saying we should go out and sign the top free agent forward available - not only because that is unrealistic, but it would be quite unwise to do so - but we have quality assets to bring in such a player via trade.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree with this assessment, too. Tweeted about it last night...

This series proves how badly we needed to draft 1st of 2nd overall last summer, and not 3rd. We desperately need an offensive game breaker in the lineup, and just missed out on drafting generational talent last summer. Imagine the lineup with Matthews or Laine in the mix.

Even if Washington, Pittsburgh, and Chicago's windows are "closing" in the next year or two, we can't expect to compete for a cup against the top teams of the league in the future without a "star" forward. Ofcourse, one of our players currently on the roster or in the pipeline could turn into that "star", but I think we all know what we have. And that's not a player who can singlehandedly carry the team or take over a game/series.

This issue needs to be addressed over the offseason in some way. I'm not saying we should go out and sign the top free agent forward available - not only because that is unrealistic, but it would be quite unwise to do so - but we have quality assets to bring in such a player via trade.

All season I've been imagining how insanely good the jackets would have been this season with either Laine or Matthews inserted into the lineup. Imagine Laine/Werenski on the point during the PP. :yo:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
All season I've been imagining how insanely good the jackets would have been this season with either Laine or Matthews inserted into the lineup. Imagine Laine/Werenski on the point during the PP. :yo:

Do we really need to pollute these threads with day dreams? Not trying to be a jerk, but man do we fantasize.

How much more can we go on and on about the "value" of sucking to the worst of our abilities if we aren't going to make the playoffs?

We're turning into a big boy team now, I'd like to discuss the playoffs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Do we really need to pollute these threads with day dreams? Not trying to be a jerk, but man do we fantasize.

How much more can we go on and on about the "value" of sucking to the worst of our abilities if we aren't going to make the playoffs?

We're turning into a big boy team now, I'd like to discuss the playoffs.

We've had 16 years of daydreaming, it's not gonna stop over night, especially when the team is embarrassed the first two games of the playoffs. 6/12 of the playoff games the Jackets have played have been an embarrassment. Until they show they're a perennial playoff contender fans are going to continue to fantasize.

Inserting Laine or Matthews into the lineup instantly makes this team better. And it's not like it's some far fetched fantasy, it almost happened.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I think this shows what's really wrong with the team makeup: the real lack of 'skilled' players...grinder after grinder (which the CBJ has in spades) will eventually score after grinding it out for a while, but the lack of real playmakers is killing this team when it needs it...and what skilled guys the team has [i.e. Saad, Atkinson, maybe Bjork, Gagner] haven't played anywhere close to their potential in weeks...sure, the high SOG number has to yield something eventually, but putting pucks into a goalie's chest all night isn't going to win many games...[spoken from a season ticket holder, rant over, flame away] :-/

Yep, about right. It doesn't help to have skill if your skill doesn't translate to making a difference in the playoffs. They are getting consistently rubbed out. And the grinders simply aren't providing any secondary scoring, nor have they for awhile. Remember back when this team had balanced scoring and all 4 lines were contributing?

No doubt where the Jackets need to improve over the summer, but that's going to be tough to do as elite players don't grow on trees. Probably have to hope two of the youngster forwards develop to that level.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Do some research. For once. Please.:laugh:

Since the lockout season starting with Carolina in 06, every Stanley Cup winning has had a top 15 scorer in that regular season except the 2011 Bruins, who rode Tim Thomas to that Cup.

06 Carolina Staal.....7
07 Ducks Getzlaf....15
08 Wings Datsyuk....4
09 Pens Malkin....1
10 Hawks Kane....9
11 Bruins Lucic....39
12 LA Kopitar...15
13 Hawks Kane....5
14 LA Kopitar...16
15 Hawks Kane....4 (in PPG he was injured and only played 61 games) Toews was 23rd
16 Pens Crosby 3

Top end scoring talent is a virtual necessity to win a Cup. Atkinson finished 33rd in the league this season. That's likely his high water mark.

How many points different is it coming in at 15 or 33 on that list?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We've had 16 years of daydreaming, it's not gonna stop over night, especially when the team is embarrassed the first two games of the playoffs. 6/12 of the playoff games the Jackets have played have been an embarrassment. Until they show they're a perennial playoff contender fans are going to continue to fantasize.

Inserting Laine or Matthews into the lineup instantly makes this team better. And it's not like it's some far fetched fantasy, it almost happened.

And as regular posters we don't have to feed the beast....

This teams play in games one and two isn't address by "insert player here". This years team isn't one player away. It is, however, far closer if our best players are our best players. Outside of Jones and Werenski that really isn't happening.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I'll be watching from section 220 along with Howitzer and a few others. Let's hope it goes well. Still debating a jersey...Hartnell, Dubinsky or Shelly...or Wright or Tugnutt??

Where was 220? In Pitt or at the R-Bar? lol.

And whatever you do, wear a different jersey tonight. The one from Friday STINKS!

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The defense doesn't look as sound as they were for most of the season.

Maybe there is still a larger gap between teams than many of us thought. It feels like the Jackets need to play a perfect grinding game to have a chance

By the looks on their faces, they feel the same way. They are great at 0-0. Fall behind even if the ice tilted in CBJ favor, the wilt. It's as if they believe Pens are in fact more skilled, and if out-working them doesn't result in a lead, then they have no chance. Pens have the elite talent, but CBJ getting nothing from top 9 in terms of scoring.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Remember back when this team had balanced scoring and all 4 lines were contributing?

So what's the difference? If the story is that the team isn't skilled enough, then why was there a time that, with the same players as now, the team had balanced scoring and all 4 lines were contributing?

(These questions are not "challenge your position" questions. They are "ongoing discussion" questions.)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And as regular posters we don't have to feed the beast....

This teams play in games one and two isn't address by "insert player here". This years team isn't one player away. It is, however, far closer if our best players are our best players. Outside of Jones and Werenski that really isn't happening.
Id agree with that.

Nobody is stepping up. Besides the two you mentioned nobody is standing out. Boone is playing physical, Cam looked better in game 2 but nobody is playing up to expectations.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Where was 220? In Pitt or at the R-Bar? lol.

And whatever you do, wear a different jersey tonight. The one from Friday STINKS!

PPG Paints Arena.

First defeat wearing Tugnutt's game jersey from the first franchise victory. I'll try a different one tonight, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad