GDT: PO #3 | Penguins at FLYERS | Sun., April 15, 2018, 3:00 pm ET | NBC, CBC, TVA Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One player can definitely change your fortune.

This isn’t the NBA. One player isn’t swaying things that dramatically in either direction. Chicago, LA, & Pittsburgh didn’t win championships this decade because of one player. They had great teams on top of the indivuals & like everyone in hockey needed luck on their side at times.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It was and always will be insane to me that they took cap back.

Because most teams competing -- who would even do a move like that -- can't fit that salary. AND they gave up a 2nd.

For basically Kessel+2nd+salary eaten they ended up with Kerby Rychel, Kasperi Kapanen, Raffi Torres, Frederik Andersen, a 2nd, and a 3rd and took a step back to rebuild. That doesn't sound appetizing to me. I'm sure there's a big overlap too with the people who want to trade Jake and the people who want to win now, despite those being totally and completely at odds.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
The likelihood of getting a player like Voracek back isn't realistic. He's one of the best wingers in the game even with all of his warts.
I would not advocate for trading him, but he needs a coach that would keep him in an iron fist. Jake is one of the best technically, but he needs constant coaching in decision making and behavior. He needs Mike Keenan in his ear about being deported back to Czech republic. :)

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Hakstol in the post game will admit to not knowing it was an early start today

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Going into the season, we all knew this was going to have its ups and downs. It is a downer now because we still expect too much from a not good coach, a bottom six that is not very good, and a bottom three on defense that is also not very good.

We all know that if shutdown-ed, the little deuce coupe, Giroux [ beach boys reference], things were going to get rough. We all know if things the way Jake wants, do not go his way, he shutdowns himself. The goaltending let us down a path of unrealistic expectations again.

However, if Hextall's plan was to make it to the EC finals, I think his expectations were goals both unobtainable and over realistic. There was not a chance of that happening with the team he assembled. Remember Hextall assembled this team. As a fan of hockey, a Flyers team that on most nights is almost catatonic and/or boring as hell to watch is not the fault of the players [ no matter how awful some of them are] but the coach.

Personally, I am neither gleefully downbeat nor hopefully upbeat with this team. And neither should you. This team is what it is: nothing more, but also nothing less, from the masterminds that run this team.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I would not advocate for trading him, but he needs a coach that would keep him in an iron fist. Jake is one of the best technically, but he needs constant coaching in decision making and behavior. He needs Mike Keenan in his ear about being deported back to Czech republic. :)

This post almost made me miss the Cold War, but it definitely made me miss the 1980s.

SHANE523

Oct 18, 2016
I think I should explain my issue with Voracek. He has a ton of skill but he doesn't play like it. He could be a top player in the league but he plays lazy. THAT is my problem.
When we got him this was the reason we were getting him, they saw this and the Flyers thought they could fix it. For a while he seemed to be renewed but he is back to his old ways.

Again, having a bad shift or a bad game is one thing. He goes through the motions instead of playing hard, that is the difference.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
What's frustrating is how they lose games. We knew in October that this team would either not make PO or would not go far in them. That did not change- they do not have personnel (both coaching and players) to jump over their collective head. But what I did expect of them is to go down swinging every losing game, especially, with Pens. I am still hoping they will show up with snarl and determination.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Going into the season, we all knew this was going to have its ups and downs. It is a downer now because we still expect too much from a not good coach, a bottom six that is not very good, and a bottom three on defense that is also not very good.

We all know that if shutdown-ed, the little deuce coupe, Giroux [ beach boys reference], things were going to get rough. We all know if things the way Jake wants, do not go his way, he shutdowns himself. The goaltending let us down a path of unrealistic expectations again.

However, if Hextall's plan was to make it to the EC finals, I think his expectations were goals both unobtainable and over realistic. There was not a chance of that happening with the team he assembled. Remember Hextall assembled this team. As a fan of hockey, a Flyers team that on most nights is almost catatonic and/or boring as hell to watch is not the fault of the players [ no matter how awful some of them are] but the coach.

Personally, I am neither gleefully downbeat nor hopefully upbeat with this team. And neither should you. This team is what it is: nothing more, but also nothing less, from the masterminds that run this team.
I did not see your post before placing mine practically about the same.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I just want to save this moment for posterity:

74arnaw.jpg

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I see a lot of Filppula in his future. The guy who does all kinds of awesome stuff and then ruins it at the end with some awful play.

Though for most of this year Flip hasn't even shown much skill anymore, either.
Jake was literally our depth scoring this year. Take him away and we would be one line team. Of course then Hakstol would try to spread the wealth around and probably park Simmonds on top line and effectively neuter them.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
This isn’t the NBA. One player isn’t swaying things that dramatically in either direction. Chicago, LA, & Pittsburgh didn’t win championships this decade because of one player. They had great teams on top of the indivuals & like everyone in hockey needed luck on their side at times.

Of course, but to say one player can't have a sizable impact on a franchises fortune (not just generational talent) seems a little shortsighted.

Now, this team needs a lot of change: coaches, depth, etc. Obviously Jake is one of our most minor problems, if at all. I didn't explicitly (I think :huh:) say we should trade Jake, just explore the options. PPG players don't grow on trees, and that is exactly why we should keep our options open.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because most teams competing -- who would even do a move like that -- can't fit that salary. AND they gave up a 2nd.

For basically Kessel+2nd+salary eaten they ended up with Kerby Rychel, Kasperi Kapanen, Raffi Torres, Frederik Andersen, a 2nd, and a 3rd and took a step back to rebuild. That doesn't sound appetizing to me. I'm sure there's a big overlap too with the people who want to trade Jake and the people who want to win now, despite those being totally and completely at odds.

Actually, I see a Voracek trade like Winnipeg moving Evander Kane, which finished their rebuild.
At the time they had a bunch of guys from the 2011 to 2013 drafts, but that trade help fill out their roster.

In the same way, moving Voracek and Simmonds would allow the Flyers to add a couple young forwards and some draft picks that would allow them to fill out depth and focus on a RW who's a better fit with Lindblom and Patrick. Or move Konency down to that line and find a RW for Giroux-Couts.

This team is 2-3 years away from playing with the big boys.
They need depth, experience and playoff caliber goalies.
So I'd be happy to take one step back in 2018-19 if it means two steps forward in 2019-20 and 2020-21.
Because the Penguins have simply told us what we already know, the top veterans aren't good enough, the kids are great but not yet ready, the team needs depth and Murray >>>> Elliott.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Trading Jake is dumb when you have no one to replace him. So short sighted.
trade should be justified by either needs of the team to plug certain positions or as a last resort when all of the options of coaching have been exhausted. Neither applies to Jake situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad