Prospect Info: Plymouth Summer Showcase

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We could draft both Raaty and Hirvonen in the second round, but we choose to go different way. To late now

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
. Between Andrae , Grans and Wallinder the last one was the worse choice.

No, not really. Not at all.

Helge Grans was atrocious in Malmo. His decisions on when to pinch were baffling (He decides it's always a good time to pinch.) and he is either in 2 modes defensively; Stand around and watch the puck or chase it like a dog chasing a car. The kid should not have been up in the SHL last season.
Emil Andrae is a long shot to be any better than Joe Hicketts as that little offensive defenseman that sometimes makes it pro. And he's not nearly fast enough to make up for a total lack of strength and size. The times I saw HV71 play he was noticeably out of place. He's going to have to work on his game in the Allsvenskan before making the jump back to the SHL.

Wallinder is a total project but he's a better skater than the above players, a better passer than both of them, and arguably a better shooter than them. What he needs to improve right now is strength/conditioning, pace of play and attention to detail in systems and defensively. He's probably never going to have elite defensive IQ like Seider but the makings of a potential top 4 puck mover are there. Maybe he becomes our Edler. Maybe he becomes like Leddy.

Rogle is going to be a big test for him next season because they lost a few veterans like Daniel Zaar, their top scorer (Torpedo in the KHL), Simon Ryfors, their 2nd leading scorer (Tampa Bay) Eric Gelinas (Carolina), and they lost Mo Seider (Detroit). But I think the Abbott brothers program in Rogle is top notch, and they aren't afraid of playing rookies if they prove they deserve the icetime.

If you look up some of those names on defense you'll see there's a pretty good chance that if Wallinder isn't a total screwup he is very likely to be in Rogle's top 4. Ryan McKiernan is coming over from Eisbaren Berlin as their veteran puckmoving defenseman but he's never played in the SHL. Their number 2 defenseman is probably Lukas Ekestahl-Jonsson. Erlund Lesund, Tony Sund and Thimo Nickl are depth guys. A second pair spot is Wallinder's to lose.

I preach patience with Wallinder. He's likely a 4 or 5 year project before even sniffing the NHL. We're just past his first season with the DRW organization.

(But seriously this kid should probably do some squats.)

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
Dragged my girlfriend there yesterday for all day, fun to just hang out and drink some beer with a minimal crowd.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Rogle is going to be a big test for him next season because they lost a few veterans like Daniel Zaar, their top scorer (Torpedo in the KHL), Simon Ryfors, their 2nd leading scorer (Tampa Bay) Eric Gelinas (Carolina), and they lost Mo Seider (Detroit). But I think the Abbott brothers program in Rogle is top notch, and they aren't afraid of playing rookies if they prove they deserve the icetime.

If you look up some of those names on defense you'll see there's a pretty good chance that if Wallinder isn't a total screwup he is very likely to be in Rogle's top 4. Ryan McKiernan is coming over from Eisbaren Berlin as their veteran puckmoving defenseman but he's never played in the SHL. Their number 2 defenseman is probably Lukas Ekestahl-Jonsson. Erlund Lesund, Tony Sund and Thimo Nickl are depth guys. A second pair spot is Wallinder's to lose.

I think that's a bit optimistic. Rögle has some solid d-men, not like last year but Wallinder is still going to have to fight to be a mainstay and to get regular minutes. It won't likely be a situation where he can struggle and play poorly and still get minutes.

Yes, I think the NHL scouting community places quite a bit of value in events such as this. Given the volume of NHL front office staff (GMs, Asst. GMs Scouting Directors, Amateur scouts, Development personnel) that attend this event every year, it’s hard to believe otherwise.

I don’t think they’re going just for entertainment.
Every scouting opportunity is important and this is a chance for people in the organization to watch them live.
But no one is going to care that Niederbach didn't have 2PPG here if he goes on to have a good season in the SHL. It's one data point in a year that contains dozens and dozens of data points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad