Prospect Info: Plymouth Summer Showcase

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I’m watching this game and can’t for the life of me figure out how Wallinder was drafted where he was. Constantly out of position, turning the puck over, and generating no offense. Niederbach is just invisible.

I think Hakan missed bad on this one.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m watching this game and can’t for the life of me figure out how Wallinder was drafted where he was. Constantly out of position, turning the puck over, and generating no offense. Niederbach is just invisible.

I think Hakan missed bad on this one.
Mistaking #20 for #22? Helge Grans is by far the worse player on that pairing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lord, was Wallinder just on ice AGAIN for that goal? If so, that’s -4?
You must have had the wrong number or something. I counted 2 goals against for Wallinder, one he had no blame on and one where he made a pretty bad read at neutral ice. Maybe he was on the ice for the ENG, unclear.

He definitely doesn't look great. But he also isn't even 19 yet.. he's super raw, super unpolished. He will come into a legit development program now for next season where we will get a better idea if he can iron out the kinks in his game.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
Regardless of how many goals against he was responsible for today, Wallinder is, and always has been, a major project. He currently has virtually no ability to play defense, in terms of NHL projection. I thought everyone knew this when we drafted him? He needs to improve his defense in a major way and, assuming that eventually happens, it will be years from now. He's the kind of kid who, if he does make it to Detroit, it won't be until he's no longer waiver exempt. And considering he doesn't have to sign for 3 years, I assume that window is like 5 years away? His bust potential is very high. If he makes it, he could be a nice asset. No reason to bank on that happening as of now though.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
No he isnt wrong. Wallinder was #22 and was on for at least 3 goals against. One was directly his fault as Lambert turned him into a turnstyle and scored. It is rather interesting that the Wings chose to take him with their first pick in the 2nd round, passing on a multitude of more promising players and claiming that they had a mid first round grade on him...and yet here we are, with him still looking like dogshit and everyone saying well, hes a project, hopefully he can be straightened out 5 years from now. I mean, thats a pretty big whiff if he cant even begin to do the basics of his position. Thats what gives me a little pause when looking at this year's draft.
On the bright side, Viro looked good again. Building on his performance last year. And even though Teddy had no points, he had a handful of slick little plays and set his linemates up for some quality chances. Just isnt looking like hes a play driver at this point. Like, he's not popping out aside from winning some faceoffs and making those little plays. But it's important to remember it was the first game in an exhibition showcase in the middle of the summer. We should let these guys get their feet wet. Im going up for the games on Tues and hope to see some good things in person!

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
No he isnt wrong. Wallinder was #22 and was on for at least 3 goals against. One was directly his fault as Lambert turned him into a turnstyle and scored. It is rather interesting that the Wings chose to take him with their first pick in the 2nd round, passing on a multitude of more promising players and claiming that they had a mid first round grade on him...and yet here we are, with him still looking like dogshit and everyone saying well, hes a project, hopefully he can be straightened out 5 years from now. I mean, thats a pretty big whiff if he cant even begin to do the basics of his position. Thats what gives me a little pause when looking at this year's draft.
On the bright side, Viro looked good again. Building on his performance last year. And even though Teddy had no points, he had a handful of slick little plays and set his linemates up for some quality chances. Just isnt looking like hes a play driver at this point. Like, he's not popping out aside from winning some faceoffs and making those little plays. But it's important to remember it was the first game in an exhibition showcase in the middle of the summer. We should let these guys get their feet wet. Im going up for the games on Tues and hope to see some good things in person!

Report back!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Regardless of how many goals against he was responsible for today, Wallinder is, and always has been, a major project. He currently has virtually no ability to play defense, in terms of NHL projection. I thought everyone knew this when we drafted him? He needs to improve his defense in a major way and, assuming that eventually happens, it will be years from now. He's the kind of kid who, if he does make it to Detroit, it won't be until he's no longer waiver exempt. And considering he doesn't have to sign for 3 years, I assume that window is like 5 years away? His bust potential is very high. If he makes it, he could be a nice asset. No reason to bank on that happening as of now though.

Maybe we can convert him to wing? He’s got good offensive tools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->