Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Sens: I hate this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
K. So “good” team should beat every “bad” team.

You realize by having less stars it forces the Senators to play a tighter systematic game. There still is a coach that took the back to back Penguins to the tightest brink during their championships behind Ottawa’s bench.

We played a near perfect game and lost because of a terrible individual play by Olli and a powerplay.
When you're inefficient in converting the high quality scoring chances you have you're far from perfect. We had the territorial advantage but that in and of itself doesn't mean much when you lose.

Reactions: EightyOne

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Rust with 1 goal in 28 games.

After getting a massive raise this past summer.

I sometimes feel both he and Maatta are what the scouts are at Pens games for. When JR was quoted as saying "some guys not performing after raises" - I immediately thought of Rust. I would hate to see big-game-Rust get dealt, but he does not seem "snakebitten" like the broadcast suggests - he flat out sucks this year. He needs to take some reflection time. Maatta is also a similar age to Rust and on a decent contract for a 3-5 defenseman at his age. I think on a slower team he would be okay.

Next thing of note - since I don't post often anymore... No clue what the hatred on Sheahan is about. That guy has been awesome in the boards and at extending plays this year. At 2M/year - folks should be taking their anger elsewhere. He may not bring a whole lot beyond faceoffs and board play - but his contract certainly does not merrit the criticism. Brassard is also super cheap to us, so while he is not bringing any offense right now, it's not like we have our 6-7M 3C many people were asking for who may not be performing.

Lastly, I know there's an entire thread dedicated to the subject - but remember how Pouliot was not given his fair shake, got dealt, then beat the Pens with a GWG and burnt the house down? Where is he now? 'Nucks were trying to trade him for a bag of pucks. Sprong may have a shot, we all know this - but he did absolutely NOTHING here for this team. Not one clue what the absurd fanboy presence is about here. Maybe Sully chased him out, or maybe he just sucked? It's not like Sid was asking for him to play on his line - because it's absolutely obvious if Sid wants a young guy to play with him, he gets his wish. Perhaps it was SPRONG'S doing why he's no longer here, and not the only coach we've had who's been able to keep the guys playing on a mostly-even keel.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
When you're inefficient in converting the high quality scoring chances you have you're far from perfect. We had the territorial advantage but that in and of itself doesn't mean much when you lose.
that's not exactly a typical problem for guys like Sid or Jake though. That's why I'm not worried about that loss; the right guys did the right things and it just didn't work. It usually would. It still sucks to lose.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
that's not exactly a typical problem for guys like Sid or Jake though. That's why I'm not worried about that loss; the right guys did the right things and it just didn't work. It usually would. It still sucks to lose.
But with this team they're more than capable of finding other ways to lose as I cited above, this was just one way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Reading Yohe's comments, he mentions that he has heard from NHL execs that the refs have been given a new mandate. Call less penalties. That the "higher ups" want more physicality and less PP's. Could explain the lack of penalties that were incredibly obvious.

If that's true, then f*** the NHL execs. These dinosaurs would rather see "tough hockey" than actually allow the skilled players to showcase their skill in that case.

If Zack Smith has as big an impact on a hockey game as Sidney Crosby because the refs allow him to hook, slash, elbow, etc. without being called, you have an issue.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
jake coasted pretty much from our own blueline, across the red line, and then across the other blueline. That's too much coasting :laugh:
He didn't even have to get to the other blue line. Hop on the defensive side like a mile earlier. He doesn't even have to be on the bench just hop on the wall.

Plus, the bench should have been letting him know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We had 12 goals in the past two games.

I’m not really concerned about getting a point out of a game where the refs lost control and our stars got fed up.

Our offense is going to suffer missing two top six wingers. We did an incredible job defensively outside of Oleksiak and Maatta which we should expect by now.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
If that's true, then **** the NHL execs. These dinosaurs would rather see "tough hockey" than actually allow the skilled players to showcase their skill in that case.

If Zack Smith has as big an impact on a hockey game as Sidney Crosby because the refs allow him to hook, slash, elbow, etc. without being called, you have an issue.
Agreed. It's freaking ridiculous.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
If that's true, then **** the NHL execs. These dinosaurs would rather see "tough hockey" than actually allow the skilled players to showcase their skill in that case.

He also referenced that getting Reaves was a call from ownership (guessing that reads Mario), and not management. A response to the abuse Sid was getting.

Maybe we are gonna be heading back that direction if things like last night become the new normal.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We had 12 goals in the past two games.

I’m not really concerned about getting a point out of a game where the refs lost control and our stars got fed up.

Our offense is going to suffer missing two top six wingers. We did an incredible job defensively outside of Oleksiak and Maatta which we should expect by now.
Second and third line must get better, right now they are riding this wave with Sid's unreal game and good chip in by the fourth line muckers. Second and third line is where that second third punch comes. second line had some zone time last night, but not much to show for that....I remember first four games under Sully where we lost, but you could tell there is something cooking throughout the line up...I am not seeing that yet...I don't care whether we win or lose as long as they are on the right track....This will require some more tweaking...

One thing that really is encouraging: maybe we really got something in petterssen:
Letang Dumo
Shultz Petterssen
Rikkolla Maatta
Oleks JJ

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Second and third line must get better, right now they are riding this wave with Sid's unreal game and good chip in by the fourth line muckers. Second and third line is where that second third punch comes. second line had some zone time last night, but not much to show for that....I remember first four games under Sully where we lost, but you could tell there is something cooking throughout the line up...I am not seeing that yet...I don't care whether we win or lose as long as they are on the right track....This will require some more tweaking...

One thing that really is encouraging: maybe we really got something in petterssen:
Letang Dumo
Shultz Petterssen
Rikkolla Maatta
Oleks JJ

Yeah. I think Pettersson and Schultz could be real, real good together.

And I think the second and third lines are suffering from the injuries.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah. I think Pettersson and Schultz could be real, real good together.

And I think the second and third lines are suffering from the injuries.
even with simon and horny there I am still not feeling it, the way Brassard is playing, its so hard to believe in any of those combos, however sometimes things just start working....

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He also referenced that getting Reaves was a call from ownership (guessing that reads Mario), and not management. A response to the abuse Sid was getting.

Maybe we are gonna be heading back that direction if things like last night become the new normal.

That's unfortunate because that's clearly not their game.

Reactions: td_ice

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Brassard is fine. The bottom six has been producing for like six or seven games now. Malkin needs to get his **** together.

The bottom six has been fine in the production aspect, but Brassard has not been fine. If Brassard was fine he would be locked down in a position with dedicated linemates.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The bottom six has been fine in the production aspect, but Brassard has not been fine. If Brassard was fine he would be locked down in a position with dedicated linemates.
Sid and Geno aren't lock down with dedicated linemates either. The 3C is going to be the last one to get locked in linemates.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sid and Geno aren't lock down with dedicated linemates either. The 3C is going to be the last one to get locked in linemates.

True, but we are talking 3rd wheels here.

Guentzel, Crosby
Pearson, Malkin

Tech. this should work...

Brassard, Kessel

But we all know it doesn't, and if you add Kessel and Hornqvist to the top two lines they're complete as complete can be.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist/Kessel
Pearson, Malkin, Hornqvist/Kessel

That leaves a lot to be desired for Brassard, but playing behind those two lines should soften the load and matchups for his line, meaning they should be doing more by design.

Cooke, Staal, Kennedy isn't all that flashy either. That's two 3rd line wingers with a 2/3 line center.

Tech. this should be alright.

Simon, Brassard, Rust

But we all know it isn't.

Brassard isn't in a position to succeed because he's not the top 2 seed center. We all should have known this, his role was never like it is here so his production suffers, but it shouldn't be nonexistent, either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Guentzel, Crosby
Pearson, Malkin
I think Pearson is likely more of a 3rd wheel himself. But we'll have to wait and see.

Simon, Brassard, Rust

But we all know it isn't.
do we?
Brassard isn't in a position to succeed because he's not the top 2 seed center. We all should have known this, his role was never like it is here so his production suffers, but it shouldn't be nonexistent, either.
The 3rd line has produced pretty well lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->