Plus/minus on penaly shots?

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
I am only talking about penalty shots being called during ordinary play - not the shootouts.

If a team gets a penalty shot, I think the players on the ice when the penalty shot was called should see their +/- affected if the PS results in a goal. I even think there should be assists handed out to the players setting up the prevented player.
Do you agree?

But in reality, only the PS scorer's +/- gets affected (and perhaps the goalie's). At least it seems that way according to the HSP files for the most recent seasons.
(Example: Defenceman makes a great opening pass, setting a teammate free. The teammate is hindered, resulting in a PS. Teammate scores. No +/- for anyone but the scorer (or?), and no assists for the setting up.)

Why does only the PS scorer (and the goalie) get their plus/minus affected?
Has it "always" been that way (for as long as +/- has been recorded)? What were/are the reasons?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
The penalty shot scorer does not get a plus for his goal.

But I agree that assists should be handed out as well. Exception to this would be if the PS is called due to the covering the puck with glove rule.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The penalty shot scorer does not get a plus for his goal.
The goalscorer does get a plus for a penalty shot goal.

Here's an example from last season. The Rangers beat Toronto 2-0. They scored a goal at evenstrength in the 1st period, then Ryan Callahan scored on a PS in the second period. Final +/- numbers for the game show 6 Rangers at +1, and 5 Leafs at -1. Callahan is the extra +.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201010300TOR.html

The only exception would be if the penalty shot was awarded to a team that was on the Power Play; then the player wouldn't get a +.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I remember an even more extreme example. Late March 2006 (don't have the exact date): Toronto defeated Pittsburgh 1-0. Chad Kilger scored on a penalty shot with 6:51 remaining. For the game, Kilger was +1, everybody else was zero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->