Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't feel like Hathway owned it as well as you guys are making out.

"Unfortunately, spit came out of my mouth after I got sucker punched, and it went onto him.”

This is classic use of the passive voice.

Sounds like he's taken full ownership now.

Garnet Hathaway said:
“I regret doing it,” he added. “That’s the most I can say. My emotions, I was pretty tied up, and I felt like there was a third man and a fourth man in, and I didn’t have any arms free and made an emotional decision that I wish I didn’t. But right now, I am trying to move on from it, and there is nothing that I can do but apologize.”

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Spitting is bad, while harmless, it’s probably the most offensive non-verbal “offense” a person can commit. I guess peeing on someone is worse, but I don’t believe I’ve seen an athlete disrobe in order to do that, lol.

speaking of offensive cheap shots, anybody recall Mike Bullard, then with the Flyers, swat Hatcher with the blade of his stick during a big scrum? Skated right up and pimp slapped him right across the chops with his Sherwood. I don’t think he even got a penalty for it.

imagine a player doing that in this day and age? Holy cow, the outcry would be loud and long.

my favorite Bullard memory is McSorley spearing him so hard he broke his stick.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Spitting is bad, while harmless, it’s probably the most offensive non-verbal “offense” a person can commit. I guess peeing on someone is worse, but I don’t believe I’ve seen an athlete disrobe in order to do that, lol.

speaking of offensive cheap shots, anybody recall Mike Bullard, then with the Flyers, swat Hatcher with the blade of his stick during a big scrum? Skated right up and pimp slapped him right across the chops with his Sherwood. I don’t think he even got a penalty for it.

imagine a player doing that in this day and age? Holy cow, the outcry would be loud and long.

I don't know, man. I'd much rather take some spit to my face than getting licked by a man...which of course includes spit as well.

And again, I'd much rather take spit than a sucker punch. Nothing is more offensive than a sucker punch because whoever throws one does it with the intention to hurt you. Gudbranson should definitely get suspended.

Reactions: Corby78

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I tell you what, Leipsic is doing what I hoped Hagelin would be doing. Being a pest, causing havoc, and occasionally getting scoring chances off that havoc. I wish I was seeing a little more Leipsic in Haglins game
Hagelin isn't that type of player. He's a Swede. Most Swede's are good natured. Hagelin does things with hard work showing example to others.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't doubt that NBTW saw proper sucker punches, but I am just still trying to see them for myself. Hathaway called it a sucker punch, but when gloves are off and players are engaged, they are more like punches in my book. Even with a ref holding on.

Here is a proper sucker punch for the old timers to enjoy

Priceless only because it was smug Mario getting sucker punched!

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well the Caps finally made the espn talk shows

It was talked about on every radio show I heard today and I listen to a lot of them on my drive. Every hockey commentator weighed in and a bunch who aren't. Jim Rome had the hottest of hot takes.

Hathaway will be known for this for the rest of his relevant time in the game.

#RobertoAlomar

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
WTF?

He should hope for no games and expect that. 5 games? For spitting?? A headshot doesn't get you 5 games in today's NHL. 5 games for spitting is insane.

giphy.gif

3 games max I guess. I remember Alex Frei spitting at Steven Gerrard at the UEFA Euro and receiving 3 games for it.
Don't have a hockey example but since Hathaway did it in the heat of the moment and after having to take sucker punches I don't think he deserves more than 3 games. In any case, Gudbranson should watch for longer than Hathaway.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
It was talked about on every radio show I heard today and I listen to a lot of them on my drive. Every hockey commentator weighed in and a bunch who aren't. Jim Rome had the hottest of hot takes.

#RobertoAlomar

*Ugh*

Give him a second chance.

Btw, Roberto Alomar and the ump he spit on became good friends afterwards.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I don't doubt that NBTW saw proper sucker punches, but I am just still trying to see them for myself. Hathaway called it a sucker punch, but when gloves are off and players are engaged, they are more like punches in my book. Even with a ref holding on.

Here is a proper sucker punch for the old timers to enjoy

How times have changed. "Gutsy move right there" would be frowned by this generation of fans. Good ole stuff and a RH sighting!

Reactions: RandyHolt

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'll just go ahead and say yes, I am defending the spitting.

Insult, shminsult. It's a completely non-dangerous play. Sucker punching is infinitely more dangerous, cowardly, and egregious unless the spitter has ebola or something. I'd spit, scratch, kick, and more if I was sucker punched while restrained.

The hockey community is weird sometimes.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. Heck, my friends were competitive in sports and would get too hyped and pull stuff like that growing up. Just give them a fist or forearm to the face when they pull those stunts. It's mostly a topic for bored HF posters. It's way better than a cheap shot later in the game and he did get the match penalty.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

That is one super memory you have. As for last night's game, I was watching it with a family member who isn't into hockey or sports. They commented about the scrum and I told them the good old days had stuff like that a few times a game. Nowadays, they just compete who can post a thread on the main HFboards and troll about violence etc.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

#RobertoAlomar

in a month only the haters and overreactors will even remember this...

Reactions: StrikingDistance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad