Post-Game Talk: Pluck da Ducks 11/18/19 @ 7 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I don't condone what Hathaway did, but man I liked seeing him stand up like that for Leipsic there. I accidentally fell asleep during the game so I don't know how chippy it was, but if you think you can pick on a 5'10 guy who did nothing wrong with his hit thinking that Tom Wilson is on the bench, you got another thing coming.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Alomar spit at an umpire. He'd have been more severely punished of he cheap-shotted Hirshbeck.

That's true. If Hathaway had punched the referee, he would be more severely punished than if he had spit on him. That said, had he spit on one of those officials for allowing him to get punched. ugly

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Any possibility that Gudbranson said "nice game pretty boy" to Hathaway just before the discharge of bodily fluids. No magic to Hathaway's loogie.

Hathaway should hope for 5 games but it may be north of that. Really don't know a history of this in the NHL where you draw on for a comparison as far as disciplinary actions.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Any possibility that Gudbranson said "nice game pretty boy" to Hathaway just before the discharge of bodily fluids. No magic to Hathaway's loogie.

Hathaway should hope for 5 games but it may be north of that. Really don't know a history of this in the NHL where you draw on for a comparison as far as disciplinary actions.
WTF?

He should hope for no games and expect that. 5 games? For spitting?? A headshot doesn't get you 5 games in today's NHL. 5 games for spitting is insane.

giphy.gif

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
nice game pretty boy lol!

Was the sucker punch caught on video? I saw him engaged with Grubnarassson and a jersey punch but that is it.

Leipsic looked like Kaminksi for a moment there.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'll just go ahead and say yes, I am defending the spitting.

Insult, shminsult. It's a completely non-dangerous play. Sucker punching is infinitely more dangerous, cowardly, and egregious unless the spitter has ebola or something. I'd spit, scratch, kick, and more if I was sucker punched while restrained.

The hockey community is weird sometimes.
I totally disagree. There's no place for spitting at an opponent in any sport.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
It was a pretty funny and crazy sequence. Leipsic, a 180lbs player, made all Ducks defense forget about defense, get a goal against and spit in the face as the icing on the cake.

Reactions: RandyHolt

cleanfront

Aug 5, 2013

Insult, shminsult. It's a completely non-dangerous play. Sucker punching is infinitely more dangerous, cowardly, and egregious unless the spitter has ebola or something. I'd spit, scratch, kick, and more if I was sucker punched while restrained.

100% this ^^^^
It's not like they don't spit and bleed all over the same ice they slide, fall, stretch out on during the game. Also a face wash from a sweat soaked, snot covered glove to an opponent is totally fine.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I totally disagree. There's no place for spitting at an opponent in any sport.
And that's why it's a match penalty. Moving beyond that with supplemental discipline sets a nonsensical standard that spitting is somehow more egregious than violence. Again, 5 games is more than most head shots get. I don't think there's any reasonable argument that spitting is worse than a head shot.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
nice game pretty boy lol!

Was the sucker punch caught on video? I saw him engaged with Grubnarassson and a jersey punch but that is it.

Leipsic looked like Kaminksi for a moment there.

I see a solid jersey punch landing at :56.

What a great sequence! Leipzig hits then fights 2-3 guys, Stevie scores, Hathaway celly then immediately fights and decks Grant, Hathaway gets detained while 2 ducks take liberties, bodily fluids flying, and Willy looking on like a proud older brother. That's some great team bonding right there.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

I completely get what you're saying and agree with just about all of it, but spit is one of those weird things that has always been frowned upon no matter the situation.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
True, he seemed apologetic about spitting in general, as in it has no place in Hockey, and feels sorry for spitting.

But he didn't seem apologetic about spitting on Gudbranson specifically :laugh:
He didn't even really say that he committed the act of spitting. His words were spit came out of my mouth.

Reactions: tenken00

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't doubt that NBTW saw proper sucker punches, but I am just still trying to see them for myself. Hathaway called it a sucker punch, but when gloves are off and players are engaged, they are more like punches in my book. Even with a ref holding on.

Here is a proper sucker punch for the old timers to enjoy

Last edited:

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Two reasons for this, both good ones. Wilson is now too valuable to trade 5 minutes with most any other opponent but definitely any other plug, and two is that we now have other options to do that dirty work.
3. Opponents choose who they will jump. Leipsic is a better choice than Wilson. With Wilson on the ice at yesterday's brawl, it would dissolve pretty quickly.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Spitting is bad, while harmless, it’s probably the most offensive non-verbal “offense” a person can commit. I guess peeing on someone is worse, but I don’t believe I’ve seen an athlete disrobe in order to do that, lol.

speaking of offensive cheap shots, anybody recall Mike Bullard, then with the Flyers, swat Hatcher with the blade of his stick during a big scrum? Skated right up and pimp slapped him right across the chops with his Sherwood. I don’t think he even got a penalty for it.

imagine a player doing that in this day and age? Holy cow, the outcry would be loud and long.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't condone what Hathaway did, but man I liked seeing him stand up like that for Leipsic there. I accidentally fell asleep during the game so I don't know how chippy it was, but if you think you can pick on a 5'10 guy who did nothing wrong with his hit thinking that Tom Wilson is on the bench, you got another thing coming.

Ducks fans think Leipsic charged there.

I have no idea what rule book they are reading. He skated from the circle to the goal. The puck was right there.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Spitting is bad, while harmless, it’s probably the most offensive non-verbal “offense” a person can commit. I guess peeing on someone is worse, but I don’t believe I’ve seen an athlete disrobe in order to do that, lol.

speaking of offensive cheap shots, anybody recall Mike Bullard, then with the Flyers, swat Hatcher with the blade of his stick during a big scrum? Skated right up and pimp slapped him right across the chops with his Sherwood. I don’t think he even got a penalty for it.

imagine a player doing that in this day and age? Holy cow, the outcry would be loud and long.

I'd rather be spat on than licked.

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad