Equipment: Please wear eye protection!

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Guy in his fifties in my beer league was hit in the face by a puck the other day. He was not wearing a visor or other facial protection. He lost his eye as a result. We all love hockey. We all love to play well. We are also not NHLers. We are not earning a paycheque by playing hockey. Please wear a d*&@ visor at least! I wear a full cage because, at my age, the thought of picking my teeth off the ice does not appeal to me. Be careful out there!

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I've always worn a full cage and never won't. Don't understand one bit the guys in my beer league who wear no cage/no visor.

Reactions: Neutrinos

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, I've always worn full face protection. But one time I forgot my helmet and had to rent one that only had a visor. Never felt so vulnerable. Had my chin tucked in the whole game.

For me, each scratch on my goldfish bubble is one trip to the doctors that I never had to make. And there are a lot of scratches.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Took a stick to the visor today and it's making me think about throwing a cage back on. I wear a mouthguard and generally avoid standing in vulnerable areas, but shit happens.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Accidents happen. If you play hockey long enough without full face protection, inevitably, you're going to suffer some type of injury at some point

I've always worn a full cage, and always will

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Bauer Re-Akt cage all the way, anytime I play with a visor I'm paranoid I'll take one in the teeth. My cage has been hit 2 times in the last 7 weeks alone, just a smart investment really.

Reactions: LarryO

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
I played pick up games without a cage until I was about 21. Then, one day, I decided that I'd seen enough accidents and close calls--even though we were pretty careful the action wasn't that intense and there were no slapshots allowed--and so I went ahead and bought a cage.

Two days after I put the cage on, someone on the other side dumped the puck into the zone high off the glass. Puck hit a stanchion deflected towards me and hit me square between the eyes. Three days earlier the puck would have shattered my nose. Instead it just bounced harmlessly off the grill.

I was very fortunate. Resolved to never go cageless again after that. Just not worth it

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I did the visor for a few years, then nearly missed having my entire row of bottom front teeth cleaned out by a blocked shot that rode up the shaft of my stick.

Cage purchased hours later. Never taking it off.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I always at least wore a visor and depending on where and who I play, i'll go visor or full cage. I can't imagine not wearnig a visor. Guys like Benn, Getzlaf Byfuglien are outta their f***ing minds. NHL Marksmen and deflections can change your life forever if you get injured.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Hmm. Noticing this thread has me thinking about wearing one for Dek Hockey. Can't count the amount of times I try to block a shot but wince hoping it doesn't hit me square in the face.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not really a cage or visor related thing but...
last Sunday I was out killing a penalty when I was caught out of position. The opposing team's big d-man got the puck from the point and I rushed to cover his shot. I skated over as quick as I could and tried to block the lane as he took a slapshot and... BAM! I somehow got hit right in my left finger, near the top of the glove, which was protecting my groin. I was expecting the shot to go low into my shinguard, but it came up high considering I was close to him. He fell over while shooting, so maybe it affected the angle, or it maybe came up my stick? Nice bruise but the finger is slowly getting better. A small chunk of my glove tore off though.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/G69Cb7NzHjzP3dL86

The worst part is that I should have scored a goal on a rebound later, but my hand still hurt and I couldn't really bury it. I got a goal later disallowed too! I batted the puck out of midair right below the crossbar, and pounded it bar-down similar to this one here (I did't catch it though)

However, my team was up 3 goals in the third when this happened and the other team protested enough to get the ref and linesmen to disallow it. I didn't really argue since I thought it was obvious it was a goal. Nope, they disallowed it which sucks since I've been robbed of 3 assists also this season, the refs / scorekeepers in my league are horrible at keeping accurate points compared to where I play at in the summer.

I guess it wasn't my day, at least I didn't break my hand I suppose.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->