Tribute Please vote for your 5 favorite listed Network Announcers

Please vote for your 5 favorite listed announcers.

• Total voters

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
All this Doc hate, and I’m over here like “someone likes Joe Buck????”
Those of us of a certain age know Emrick as a Devils and Flyers announcer. He joined NBC right after the lockout ended when the network pushed Crosby and the Penguins. He and that whole crew were pro-Pittsburgh. Not to mention, the constant screeching and silly wordsmithing. I also have no doubt that the flat and almost morose McDonough was hired on purpose to be the anti-Emrick.

Joe Buck is just plainly unlikeable. It's mainly because he's so condescending and unrelatable.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Those of us of a certain age know Emrick as a Devils and Flyers announcer. He joined NBC right after the lockout ended when the network pushed Crosby and the Penguins. He and that whole crew were pro-Pittsburgh. Not to mention, the constant screeching and silly wordsmithing. I also have no doubt that the flat and almost morose McDonough was hired on purpose to be the anti-Emrick.

Joe Buck is just plainly unlikeable. It's mainly because he's so condescending and unrelatable.
Well do i remember the pens home announcing team being on all the national broadcast 😂

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Gary Thorne and Bob Cole are favs not listed. I can't stand Al Michaels but him and Madden were a good pairing.

I wasn't really into football until the Giants got Manning so Summerall and Madden don't resonate with me.. missed the 80s teams and the mid 90s teams didn't grab me.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Always loved Gary Thornes voice. And watching all of the 94 clips, hes in a lot of them. He nailed the guarantee game.

Puck flies up in the air off Messiers stick from one side of the rink to the other-

"Do you believe it!? Do you believe it?! He said they will win Game 6 and he just picked up the hat trick!"

One of the more underrated calls of his generation

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This demands a much longer post with stories, not a 3 line post. Please elaborate!!!!

@bobbop
Ok…here you go.

In the summer of 1973 I was working on the sports desk at the Syracuse Post Standard and hanging around the hockey beat. The PR man for the Syracuse Blazers resigned right before Labor Day and I was offered the job, Around the same time, our broadcaster (Andy MacWilliams, late of the Cincinnati Stingers and Chicago Blackhawks) left Syracuse to go to Jacksonville. Bob and I had worked together at the campus radio station and he, Andy and I were all friends. Bob wasn’t a big hockey guy but I convinced him to take the job. It became my job to tutor him on hockey and for most of the season I served as the color man. We had a blast and the Blazers won the NAHL championship. The following year, Bob went to the ABA Spirits of St. Louis and I was promoted to Assistant GM. Here’s a true story for you.

Reactions: NYR Viper

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
No Gary, Keith, Ron? Best crew in all of sports, especially back in the day when they had young Kevin Burkhardt working the stands before he became the main guy at FOX NFL.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
how were the announcers chosen? most of these guys havent been on air in a long time and the majority of the board probably never watched a game with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad