Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Eddie Shore

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Please Vote for the Top 5 Hockey Players listed. This poll was based on polling of hockey historians. The Big 4 are almost unquestioned. These are the best of the rest.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hate goalies being on these things. Apples to oranges. I did my best.

I also think Ovechkin and McDavid should be involved if this is "best of the rest."

Maurice Richard is the Maradona of hockey. The mystique supersedes the actual quality of the player.

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... I also think Ovechkin and McDavid should be involved if this is "best of the rest." Maurice Richard is the Maradona of hockey. The mystique supersedes the actual quality of the player.
Someday I'll do a future poll with them and Jagr. The HoH forum voted The Rocket 9th all-time.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Crosby is really the only slam dunk on this list. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe are the top 4. Crosby is somewhere between 5-7 and there isn't much argument there.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not sure what you're after with these posts, but the lists are wildly incomplete and subjective

Maybe do them in 2 parts, instead of assuming you know best

Ask US to suggest who should be on lists like best alltime NY players, or hockey players.

Compile those, then offer a list of ~20+ for us to choose from

These are too arbitrary to enjoy or appreciate, the omissions are so distracting

Reactions: kovazub94

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
Crosby is the definition of a pure winner. Let's face it, if he doesn't get hurt in the playoffs last year we probably lose that series. If I'm down a goal or tied late in a playoff game I want Crosby on the ice.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This poll was based on polling of hockey historians. Sorry if not everyone is familiar with all the players.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I'd put Richard at #5. I think Beliveau is worthy, he won 10 Cups. But...Does he have the same legendary status as the Rocket? Richard was the best goal scorer of his time. He won 8 Stanley Cups! He was as fierce as Gordie Howe and he is maybe one of the most talked about Athletes North of the border all time.

Reactions: Elvis P

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hate Alexander Ovechkin and have basically forever, but he has to be on there. The best pure goal scorer ever to play, for my money.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Ovechkin > Crosby.

Seriously threatening the all time goal scoring record that was though untouchable and rarely misses a game. Was everything Lindros was billed as a player without being a douche (Lindros used to give out cheap shots constantly), and without being a head-down concussion waiting to happen. Hits, scores, passes, had the highest single season goal total in the last 30 years.

Crosby is darn good and always seems to find a way, but Ovechkin can beat you five ways, and while he's lost a step somehow his production is as solid as it ever was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad