Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So uh...

Which players have progressed under Hynes?

All the D seems to have stagnated. You could argue Severson's a bit better than 5 years ago maybe. Moore progressed minimally when he was here, I guess?

At forward, you could say Palms did much better than he did when he was with the Ducks, but that may be simply getting the opportunity. Hall definitely got better than his years before he came here... for a year at least. Zacha maybe, but he's still getting benched regularly. Hischier got better, but not nearly as much as expected.

It just seems that the longer anyone stays in the system the worse they get. The best we can hope for s that they stay as good as they were in the first months after we get them.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So uh...

All the D seems to have stagnated. You could argue Severson's a bit better than 5 years ago maybe. Moore progressed minimally when he was here, I guess?

At forward, you could say Palms did much better than he did when he was with the Ducks, but that may be simply getting the opportunity. Hall definitely got better than his years before he came here... for a year at least. Zacha maybe, but he's still getting benched regularly. Hischier got better, but not nearly as much as expected.

It just seems that the longer anyone stays in the system the worse they get. The best we can hope for s that they stay as good as they were in the first months after we get them.
Not a single player you listed has become better in any consistent way.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Fire Hynes already holy ****.

Has the team made any significant progress since week 3 or something ?
They gotten worse with this low event hockey. I didn’t think they were far off in the first 12 games. The team was scoring and were in position to win more games than not. They had many leads in the 3rd period, all they had to do was play a smarter last period and get better goaltending.

But now they are far off...

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Fire Hynes already holy ****.

Has the team made any significant progress since week 3 or something ?

Well, progress in that they aren't losing every game like they were the first 6 games, but this win one then lose one or two thing is probably worse. At least if we lost like 7-8 in a row there might be a chance Hynes actually gets fired. If we're going to hover around NHL .500 the rest of the way, he's probably not going anywhere unless the players revolt (which seems unlikely) or the owners put pressure on Shero (which also seems unlikely).

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
They gotten worse with this low event hockey. I didn’t think they were far off in the first 12 games. The team was scoring and were in position to win more games than not. They had many leads in the 3rd period, all they had to do was play a smarter last period and get better goaltending.

But now they are far off...

agreed they were a little loose and getting dreadful goaltending but as you point out a few adjustments and you're good.. and it was entertaining for god's sake. this garbage is unwatchable and comes with a more boring loss.... the main problems... poor puck management, poor defensive zone play, below average goaltending, not sustained forecheck or zone time, and if you want to throw bad pp in the convo you may... still exist and have not changed...they simply play the games a little tighter for a little bit longer against good teams but we all know its just a matter of time before they lose.

its a really bad brand of hockey, and its a really poorly built hockey team..( thats on shero) its collection of some skilled players but pretty weak from the net and moving out. weak in net, weak on defense, adequate on paper at forward but not the results.. its a bottom 3-5 team in the NHL and frankly I don't think a coaching changed will improve this too much.. not saying we should keep hynes.. but im starting to feel more of this is on Shero.....he has traded and drafted ok so far but is still years away from having built a legit team here.. he convinced the owners to spend money this year.. its blowing up in their face, shero must be held accountable for this. Im not saying he should be let go.. but he sure as shit... cant sit on his hands until the trade deadline.. this team is in crisis right now..event the recent wins have been lucky for the most part.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
In our last 7 games we lost to both the 27th and 28th teams in the league, at home. Yikes

well since we are the 30th team its really not that devastating.. the devils are one of the worst teams in the NHL so there are no gimmie wins for this team... don't be fooled this a bad hockey team.. this team is not making the playoffs this team is still several years away from rebuild.. the components needed to have a good hockey team may not even be in this organization right now thats how far we are..

we have:

what appears to be a solid 1 and 2 center punch ( but still 2-3 years from being a force due to age)

a few nice wingers that have not proven they are more than 6-9 guys.

huge question mark in net.. MB may be ok who knows

No young budding star on defense.. not one.. no #1 defensman in sight not even in the distance.. ( huge problem)

so when you start to look at the big picture... shero has not done a good job... he has maybe built up the forward prospect pool a bit... he has had the fortune of two #1 overall lottery wins as well... so far he didn't even pick the best player in one of them will see how hughes turns out vs. kappo.

he has yet to draft a defensman...that can crack the lineup of a shittily built D corps.. ok butcher was signed but not drafted.. and he is average. Shero should be on just as much a hot seat as Hynes.

Reactions: NJ07102

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So uh...

Coleman and perhaps Vatanen are the ones that come to mind. Maybe Bratt, if we ever got to see him f***ing play.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
John Hynes is still the coach today, because Ray is tanking another season. That is the only reason that makes sense, other than perhaps Ray sniffing industrial grade glue on an hourly basis and thinking all those losses are actually wins. That wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
When Hynes was actually kind of given a hard question he said ask the players tomorrow. Has he ever said I've got to get these guys motivated, Ive got to do this, Ive got to do that? I know the players play but the guy almost seems to NEVER take any responsibility which is alarming. I truly think these guys have tuned him out.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
When Hynes was actually kind of given a hard question he said ask the players tomorrow. Has he ever said I've got to get these guys motivated, Ive got to do this, Ive got to do that? I know the players play but the guy almost seems to NEVER take any responsibility which is alarming. I truly think these guys have tuned him out.

You think coaches are supposed to actually help their teams win games? Hahaha, the Devils hired Tyler Dellows just to say the exact opposite of that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It’s been really great seeing a breakout for 23 games of throw the puck to a guy standing still at the center ice line or to a guy standing still at the halfboards. Either way, it’ll probably be a turnover.

How can the team have watched this low reward/high risk style for 23 games and not seen how bad it is? It would be difficult to design a system that is less beneficial while still vaguely resembling an actual strategy.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It’s been really great seeing a breakout for 23 games of throw the puck to a guy standing still at the center ice line or to a guy standing still at the halfboards. Either way, it’ll probably be a turnover.

How can the team have watched this low reward/high risk style for 23 games and not seen how bad it is? It would be difficult to design a system that is less beneficial while still vaguely resembling an actual strategy.
How to force the Devs to turn it over a billion times a game and ensure they have 0 transition game: opponent sticks player on blueline boards of whichever side the puck is on and sticks another player staggered slightly behind him towards the middle.

That's literally it. And I've been saying it since game 2.

Spacing is one of the most important concepts in all major sports that people seem to often overlook. Where players are off the puck, ball, etc, is what opens up space and opportunity for your team. These coaches don't understand that concept. At all. They focus on who has puck and who is option A to puck carrier. THAT'S IT.

Reactions: Nubmer6

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

He's a blowhard. I have no idea where he got this ego from and why he feels it's justified, but here we are...

The self-stroking presser after Saturday's win, refusal to take accountability after losses, giving non-answers and pointing fingers when asked tough questions...

He's highly unlikeable. And I used to be a Hynes fan. I can only imagine how rough it must be to endure all of this as one of his players.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
He's a blowhard. I have no idea where he got this ego from and why he feels it's justified, but here we are...

The self-stroking presser after Saturday's win, refusal to take accountability after losses, giving non-answers and pointing fingers when asked tough questions...

He's highly unlikeable. And I used to be a Hynes fan. I can only imagine how rough it must be to endure all of this as one of his players.
Aside from maybe guys like Bratt and Zacha who actually get impacted with less games/ice time, I don’t think most of the team gives a shit. They get to coast along with no accountability. Losing is ok now. The results suck and the coach doesn’t really seem to know what he’s doing from an X’s and O’s standpoint, but hey we tried and “it is what it is”. Plus we get to a high draft pick again...yay! Building a winner!

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So uh...

The problem is you can't tell. I don't doubt that he's given them confidence (well, as long as they aren't Pavel Zacha). And I think he's honestly good at teaching proper work ethic. The problem is his system and hockey strategy fundamentals are so monumentally bad that it's impossible to sort out what is players being stupid and what is idiotic coaching.

I was very harsh on Severson the first few games, because he was doing things he should know not to do. But then I realized all the D were doing those things. That's on Hynes. I don't think Severson has great hockey sense. I think it will limit his whole career. But I'm not going to try to judge him based on this sorry ass moron "system" Hynes is trying.

That's the main reason I still REALLY want to see a coaching change. This season is over. Period. We aren't making the playoffs. There's an effective 0% chance. That's on Shero. But what does need to happen is we have to see who's worth keeping and who needs to go. In order to do that, the coaching factor has to be removed. Ray needs to fire shithead just to figure out what's worth keeping at this point. Our season was done in October. Sad, but true. If only we could combine Shero's patience for a rebuild with Lou's high expectations for a coach....

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Someone asked him what adjustments he could make to help get this thing going and Hynes didn't seem to understand the question.

Which I think was a passive aggressive tactic in trying to put it back on the reporter, there seemed to my eyes to be some underlying tension in Hynes's response, but anyway I slice that one I thought that was a bad look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad