Please let RNH fall to Ottawa.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I think with trading Fisher and an 11 game losing streak; I see Ottawa ending the season with the worst record in nhl. So RNH won't really have to fall.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think with trading Fisher and an 11 game losing streak; I see Ottawa ending the season with the worst record in nhl. So RNH won't really have to fall.

We could really get to see how meaningful that connection to Adam Larsson's current coach is. If Ottawa finishes 1st and drafts yet another defensemen in Adam Larsson, you're going to know that his coach in Skelleftea thinks there's some sort of special player there....because the centers around him are needed in Ottawa, a winger for Spezza as well...interesting to watch for.

Good luck outsucking us Oil country. My two favourite teams may be picking back to back at the top this year. Fun time.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'd say 1st-4th overall. You take the top 4 and throw them in a hat, in particular the forwards. Larsson is probably the majority top pick, or close to it, and the other 3 are pretty equal. RNH could fall to 4 easily. In fact, any one of the forwards could drop to 5th, if a team went off the board for a Murphy, Strome, Huberdeau or Hamilton. Quiet possible, as team draft boards are not nearly as homogeneous as all these rankings you see out there by services.

Yes, anything CAN happen, but no scouts, insiders, etc. are projecting that to happen, and if anything there seems to be a better chance of RNH going 1st overall than there is of him going 5th overall. Of course, anything can happen on draft day. Guys like Gormley and Fowler were suppposed to be top-5 locks and potentially challenge the top 3, yet both of them fall out of the top 10.

I used the 1-3 range because it seems probable he falls somewhere in that range...there are some teams that have him lower I'm sure, but at the moment from the data at hand, I think that more teams have RNH at 1 than Couturier or Landeskog. A lot of teams are willing to take the risk and love his upside.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
We could really get to see how meaningful that connection to Adam Larsson's current coach is. If Ottawa finishes 1st and drafts yet another defensemen in Adam Larsson, you're going to know that his coach in Skelleftea thinks there's some sort of special player there....because the centers around him are needed in Ottawa, a winger for Spezza as well...interesting to watch for.

Good luck outsucking us Oil country. My two favourite teams may be picking back to back at the top this year. Fun time.

We won't have to...this is the year where the 2nd last place team wins the lottery ;)

:laugh: Truthfully, I want RNH at number 2, and think if we end up picking first we will take Larsson. Not that I don't think Larsson is BPA right now, which IMO he is, but I think they are so close that I would rather get us a gifted centre to play with what we already have built up front. Defensemen are more readily available in FA and through trades, not to mention we could have 3 d-men taken in the top 5 next year and maybe 5-6 in the top 10, so plenty of options.

Pyke*

We won't have to...this is the year where the 2nd last place team wins the lottery ;)

:laugh: Truthfully, I want RNH at number 2, and think if we end up picking first we will take Larsson. Not that I don't think Larsson is BPA right now, which IMO he is, but I think they are so close that I would rather get us a gifted centre to play with what we already have built up front. Defensemen are more readily available in FA and through trades, not to mention we could have 3 d-men taken in the top 5 next year and maybe 5-6 in the top 10, so plenty of options.

If Ottawa's picking 1st, it's between Landeskog or RNH, and Murray has apparently hinted he wants a Center.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

They'd still have to win the lottery or hope someone 6 or lower does.

The Oilers seem to be big on RNH as well. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Yes, anything CAN happen, but no scouts, insiders, etc. are projecting that to happen, and if anything there seems to be a better chance of RNH going 1st overall than there is of him going 5th overall. Of course, anything can happen on draft day. Guys like Gormley and Fowler were suppposed to be top-5 locks and potentially challenge the top 3, yet both of them fall out of the top 10.
In terms of the chips falling where they are supposed to, they simply never do. No one predicted Wheeler going 3rd, or DiPietro going 1st (he wasn't even top 10 at this point in his draft year) let alone Gormley and Fowler. GM's and their scouts just don't really care what the rankings say, so I learned a long time ago that trying to predict what teams are going to do is folly. To me, it is quite possible, even probable, that the top 4 right now, don't end up the top 4.

I used the 1-3 range because it seems probable he falls somewhere in that range...there are some teams that have him lower I'm sure, but at the moment from the data at hand, I think that more teams have RNH at 1 than Couturier or Landeskog. A lot of teams are willing to take the risk and love his upside.

Of the six rating sources I track (Mckeens, ESPN, Redline, ISS, TSN, CSB), RNH is ranked ahead of Couturier in 3 of the rankings, where as Couturier is ranked higher in 3. It is pretty clearly split. Couturier is ranked first by one service (ESPN), while RNH is ranked fist by none (although MacKenzie alludes to both players being ranked #1 by a scout or two in his limited survey). There is simply no evidence to support your contention that RNH would go #1 given no scouting service out there has put him at #1.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
If we win the lottery, I want Larsson.

Doesn't have to be in this order, but imagine this defence :|

Larsson-Karlsson
Cowen-Runblad
Philips-Gonchar
Carkner

Brings up the question who you'd use on the pp :D

source

Jul 13, 2008

Larsson-Karlsson
Cowen-Runblad
Philips-Gonchar
Carkner

Sub in Campoli for Phillips. He's for sure gonzo, as are Ruutu and Kovalev.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006

Larsson-Karlsson
Cowen-Runblad
Philips-Gonchar
Carkner

Don't count out Wiercioch just yet.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I don't really understand why Sens fans want RNH so bad. You have Jason Spezza already, you don't need him. Landeskog is a way better fit and may very well be a better player than RNH anyway. Also could you imagine Larsson on your d?

Larsson/Karlsson
Rundbland/Cowen

Something like that could be a great top 4 in the very near future.

Besides I want RNH on the Oilers. :laugh: I think all the top 4 kids are just as good but in different ways, but RNH is a Western Canadian kid, he's playing in our backyard right now and he could be that #1 center we need.

Why we want RNH? Because I can't remember the last time we had a legitimate second-line offensive centre and this would potentially give us two first-line calibre ones.

Karlsson - Cowen
Rundblad - Wiercioch

is an adequate top-4 for the future, to put it mildly. Outside of Spezza it's very thin up front, however, and Spezza's basically a decade older than whomever we pick in this upcoming draft. Now, I'd love to draft Larsson too, and I think he's a better prospect than RNH, but the need is definitely more slanted in Nugent-Hopkins' direction.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Of the six rating sources I track (Mckeens, ESPN, Redline, ISS, TSN, CSB), RNH is ranked ahead of Couturier in 3 of the rankings, where as Couturier is ranked higher in 3. It is pretty clearly split. Couturier is ranked first by one service (ESPN), while RNH is ranked fist by none (although MacKenzie alludes to both players being ranked #1 by a scout or two in his limited survey). There is simply no evidence to support your contention that RNH would go #1 given no scouting service out there has put him at #1.

The problem is that those so-called "sources" are usually wrong, especially around the mid-term rankings, simply because they are all in-house service organizations that simply rank the players based on preference on the viewing they have. They do not take any input from head scouts from NHL teams, which Bob Mack clearly does. Mackenzie puts in a LOT of work into his rankings, especially year-end rankings, and even though he only got inout from 10 scouts, he is very well connected and it very well could be that those 10 scouts are all head scouts of different NHL teams. That's 1/3 of the entire league, if true.

He didn't allude to both players getting 1 or 2 though, Larsson was 1st on 5/10 lists, RNH was first on 3/10 lists, and both Landeskog and Couturier got 1 first place vote. He said he thought it was clear from his discussion around the league that many people that RNH's upside would lead him to having more potential of going number 1 than potentially the safer picks in Couturier and Landeskog. Of course the sample is only 10 scouts, but I trust Bob Mack more than every scouting service because his job is to get a feel for how the players are actually viewed by organizations, i.e. where they could go in the draft, not rank them based on limited viewings and preference.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The problem is that those so-called "sources" are usually wrong, especially around the mid-term rankings, simply because they are all in-house service organizations that simply rank the players based on preference on the viewing they have. They do not take any input from head scouts from NHL teams, which Bob Mack clearly does. Mackenzie puts in a LOT of work into his rankings, especially year-end rankings, and even though he only got inout from 10 scouts, he is very well connected and it very well could be that those 10 scouts are all head scouts of different NHL teams. That's 1/3 of the entire league, if true.

He didn't allude to both players getting 1 or 2 though, Larsson was 1st on 5/10 lists, RNH was first on 3/10 lists, and both Landeskog and Couturier got 1 first place vote. He said he thought it was clear from his discussion around the league that many people that RNH's upside would lead him to having more potential of going number 1 than potentially the safer picks in Couturier and Landeskog. Of course the sample is only 10 scouts, but I trust Bob Mack more than every scouting service because his job is to get a feel for how the players are actually viewed by organizations, i.e. where they could go in the draft, not rank them based on limited viewings and preference.

Keep in mind Bob talks to 10 NHL scouts, not head's of scouting departments. It's not even clear they are all from different teams. It still makes it interesting to read, but there isn't enough information there to start pigeon holing guys about not falling past a point. Especially because the teams differ so much.

My point was that you simply don't have the information to start saying "RNH won't fall past #3". Even for MacKenzie's article, for all you know half of the scouts had RNH at #4 or lower.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Keep in mind Bob talks to 10 NHL scouts, not head's of scouting departments. It's not even clear they are all from different teams. It still makes it interesting to read, but there isn't enough information there to start pigeon holing guys about not falling past a point. Especially because the teams differ so much.

My point was that you simply don't have the information to start saying "RNH won't fall past #3". Even for MacKenzie's article, for all you know half of the scouts had RNH at #4 or lower.

Agreed on all counts, but I was responding to someone initially claiming he was projected to go 3-5. I corrected him by saying he is really projected by most to go 1-3, which at the moment seems pretty fair considering he has never been ranked lower than 3 on any mid-season rankings IIRC and has torn it up since then.

Of course I'll never say it's a guarantee, which I didn't, but probability is own my side at least....let's hope he doesn't pull a Fowler :sarcasm:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Petrov is far from physical and an NHL unknown. Okposo is not physical either. I do see the Islanders swinging for the fences if it comes down to RNH or Landeskog and going with RNH but i don't see the same high end potential in Couturier.

Okposo is physical in that he's willing to do the dirty work:fight along the boards for the puck,go hard to the front of the net.Take a hit to score.

In the brief look at Nino,I think Nino will be even more physical then KO.Chippier.

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I agree completely. Not only that, but I tend to agree with the writer of the oilersnation article that there are red flags coming up about RNH. He doesn't seem to be nearly as capable at scoring even strength goals as he is capable of taking advantage of powerplays. 60%+ of his points are on the powerplay...if he has trouble with even strength in the juniors I can only imagine what kind of trouble he'll have against bigger, physically mature players with tighter D and a faster paced game. =/

Sorry, edit, but to put that into perspective, even with nearly 20 less games played Landeskog still has more ES points than RNH.

I actually prefer RNH over Landeskog but that's just personal preference. I really do feel that Larsson/RNH/Landeskog/Couturier is pretty much a crapshoot. They're all real good prospects. Larsson is supposed to be the BPA but I'm a little torn because so many dmen have been highly touted, drafted high and didn't deliver.

RNH is simply the kind of player I like to watch. I appreciate skill and intelligence and in that regard he is superior. I'm not sure if he'll pan out but I think he will, he's just too good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad