Please Explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
From the news reports I was under the impression that it's just down to the
dollars.From reading the threads here it seems there is still a whole lot of
fine print that in practicality still amount to "philosophical differences".So is it
just down to the numbers or not?

Also,how come the media is not mentioning the figure the NHL origainally set
out for a cap? Can someone remind me - was it $33M ?

mabus

Mar 28, 2004
www.dalnetdebates.com
The situation is a lot more difficult than just arriving at a number. First off, remember that every million, is multiplied by 30 teams, so a 6 or 7 million dollar difference is actually 90+ million dollars, a heck of a lot. Another thing is that the two offers are actually quite different. The nhlpa proposal does NOT have a hard cap at 49 {as most seem to think}. Rather, it's a hard cap at 49, PLUS Each team can go OVER that cap by 10% twice in a six year period. So thats another 5 mill per tean, twice in 6 seasons. They are still a long way off, and i'm actually quite stunned that goodenow is still playing games like that, this late in the process.

As to your second question, the original 32 mill cap, is no longer being mentioned, obviously because the leagues latest offer of 42.5 mill is on the table, replacing the old offer.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I think it was 31M$, that's why I laugh when some players claim it's just them that are making concessions. Boo hoo, boo hoo

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
mabus said:
Another thing is that the two offers are actually quite different. The nhlpa proposal does NOT have a hard cap at 49 {as most seem to think}. Rather, it's a hard cap at 49, PLUS Each team can go OVER that cap by 10% twice in a six year period. So thats another 5 mill per tean, twice in 6 seasons.

That does not seem to be a very big factor to me... There is only a handful of teams in the league that are willing and will be able to "break" the 49-Million cap... If they do, there is a luxury-tax of 150% per Dollar.

A Good Flying Bird*

fredez said:
I think it was 31M$, that's why I laugh when some players claim it's just them that are making concessions. Boo hoo, boo hoo

Get real would ya?
If I walk into a room with car salesman and tell him I'll pay him $10,000 for that brand new Lexus, and then I gradually go all the way up to $30,000, have I made a concession?
Hell no.
Especially when that same Lexus cost $45,000 last year.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
CaptainShark said:
That does not seem to be a very big factor to me... There is only a handful of teams in the league that are willing and will be able to "break" the 49-Million cap... If they do, there is a luxury-tax of 150% per Dollar.

Yeah, why do people keep forgetting that? How many teams are willing to pay 12.5 million for a 5 million player? The NHLPA offer is unbelievable. I was 100% pro-owners but now I'm 150% pro-players.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, why do people keep forgetting that? How many teams are willing to pay 12.5 million for a 5 million player? The NHLPA offer is unbelievable. I was 100% pro-owners but now I'm 150% pro-players.

cuz it's easier to spout "party line" rhetoric as loud as you can instead of taking a look at how these things actually work

i still think the players should come down to around $46 mill, but all in all the basis for a deal shouldn't be far off. BUT, with these two yahoos, I have no idea if we can expect a deal anytime in the next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad