Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
What’s the Columbus take on last night?
They are answering with, " look what Jack Roslovic has done for us". Laine is a " what is Torts going to say to him today"?
PL Dubois is probably ignored, an after thought.
He's our "after thought " now! After last nights game, I like this "after-thought" a whole lot!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
PoMo better not keep him on wing.... but I can see him drooling over the idea of having Scheif and Wheels back together
Playing PLD with Scheifele and Wheeler turned out to be a really good move by Maurice. After an uneven start and injury problems, more than anything PLD needed to get some touches in the offensive zone and have some personal success without having to take on the tough defensive responsibilities. Playing with Scheifele gave him the offensive looks that could help jump start him. Maurice deserves more credit then he gets foe some of his personnel decisions that place players in good spots to have success when they need it, that just isn't about X's and O's. If people don't think PLD appreciate that move from Maurice they would be mistaken.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Playing PLD with Scheifele and Wheeler turned out to be a really good move by Maurice. After an uneven start and injury problems, more than anything PLD needed to get some touches in the offensive zone and have some personal success without having to take on the tough defensive responsibilities. Playing with Scheifele gave him the offensive looks that could help jump start him. Maurice deserves more credit then he gets foe some of his personnel decisions that place players in good spots to have success when they need it, that just isn't about X's and O's. If people don't think PLD appreciate that move from Maurice they would be mistaken.

Yea it was a very good decision.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
If it works, don't mess with it. But when the time comes, I would like to see PLD center a line with Connor and Ehlers. If PLD can handle defensive zone responsibilities with those two.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
upload_2021-2-23_22-36-51-jpeg.399828

Copied this post from the Columbus GDT from tonight. Thought it was funny!

Man, we are so lucky!

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
The idea that people want Trevor Lewis to play 10+ mins a night (and yes that's what "evenly distributing ice-time" would mean) is totally bizarre. The talent level of the likes of Scheifele/Ehlers is significantly more than the likes of Lewis etc and the icetime should reflect that.
No, nobody wants Lewis 10m+ per night. We could play guys with actual potential like Vesalainen et al. instead 10m per night.

Reactions: RabidOne

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah... keep your 2 best centers on the same line instead of spreading the talent and skill out over 2 lines.....

Get PLD off the damn wing and put him at C where he belongs

I see what your saying as well. I just see these two points as reasons why a few games won’t matter

1 Maurice has never spread talent out

2 nothing wrong with getting him up to full speed before he centres his own line.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Playing a crappy player 10 mins a night is dumb, but playing a younger crappy player 10 mins a night and hoping he becomes less crappy is just great logic.
No, a guy like Vesalainen has showed in the past, and has a real chance of achieving some potential. If we actually play him now, we can find out sooner if he will reach that potential or be a crappy player like Lewis. Then we can move on sooner.

I guess we could save cap space and just have 3 good forward lines that we roll evenly and just not play a 4th line at all, but I'm pretty sure there are rules that we can't only dress 15 skaters.

The approach of having 3 talented lines and 1 development line (that can include some good prospects and some decent vets) makes sense to me - they could provide the same or better output than crappy vets or crappy prospects. I don't accept your forced false choice - there are definitely more than 2 options.

Bringing it back to PLD, with him at Centre (along with S, S, & L) we have the potential to have 4 contributing lines to 5v5, and we can pile up all the 'best' players on the PP. Spreading out talent makes sense because then there are no weak lines to exploit. Tough to line match against. All 4 lines can go all out instead of pacing themselves.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Playing a crappy player 10 mins a night is dumb, but playing a younger crappy player 10 mins a night and hoping he becomes less crappy is just great logic.

Sure, but exactly none of our young players are as crappy as NT, and they're way more likely to grow into their games and become un-crappy, while crappy or maybe crappy-plus is his floor and ceiling at this point. That's the logic, IMO.

Anyway -- looking forward to seeing what PLD can bring in his second game back form injury and playing in his home province. Hopefully we see him at centre soon.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Yeah... keep your 2 best centers on the same line instead of spreading the talent and skill out over 2 lines.....

Get PLD off the damn wing and put him at C where he belongs

That's obviously the plan the next time the blender comes out. For now I have no issues running him on the wing for a couple games here until he gets his cardio up to speed. He had a lot of success there last game. Let that confidence build, let him get accustomed to the systems, then move him to center on our new top line:

Connor PLD Ehlers - so much speed
Stastney Scheif Wheeler - Veteran savy
Copp Lowry Appleton - shut down line. Now with scoring!
Perreault Harkins Lewis - 4th line scrubs - They won't ever play so it doesn't really matter.

Book it. Maybe Thompson over Harkins for a bit but Harkins needs to play 12 more games.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

Totally agree with this. It probably won't be long-term, but for now, it looks like this combo will be a good thing for the team.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Think we see him on the wing the next few games until he gets his legs fully back. His reads were still a little out of sink with regards to his line mates at times and having him at the wing with 55 & 26 is probably a good crash course to tighten that up while he gets up to his game speed/shape. He obviously will be a C long term here and have no concerns with him flanking the left on the first line for a few games. MTL is a fast team so having speed on the wings to counter that will be important. Stats is a smart player, but it's his IQ and positional play that's keeping him up to play and not his legs.
Although we probably see him moved to C if the blender comes out.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
PLD is obviously a tremendously gifted athlete - very good skater/blessed with size,skating and other hockey talents ( good hands,shot and stick control). It seems that he has both good acceleration and top speed, but importantly has better than average hockey IQ. In other words, everything one could possibly want in a player! We can be certain that the Jets very much hope that he can play as a top line C on the team, and that they will do everything reasonably possible to develop him in that position.

But I think that we have to exercise caution when we talk of him as our certain top C going forward. He never showed the natural tendencies of a C in his early pre-draft days, and never played in this position until challenged to do so by CBJ. He is in fact the product of a development approach followed by CBJ - one which seems to have emphasized offence far more than defence.. His defensive stats have been decidedly poorer than his offensive, and PLD is not,as some suggest anywhere close to a 2 way C , like Couterier, or, Cirelli. Of course, that`s not to say that PLD may not develop differently under Maurice but, it`s far more likely he will play much more like a typical offensive C, somewhat like Scheifele ( not too much wrong with that though,right?) ;)

So with all that in mind, I think we would be well served to put at least one defensively minded winger with PLD to balance his line.I think those who suggest a line of Connor/PLD/Wheeler will be sadly disappointed with the outcome over a meaningful sample size.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
PLD is obviously a tremendously gifted athlete - very good skater/blessed with size,skating and other hockey talents ( good hands,shot and stick control). It seems that he has both good acceleration and top speed, but importantly has better than average hockey IQ. In other words, everything one could possibly want in a player! We can be certain that the Jets very much hope that he can play as a top line C on the team, and that they will do everything reasonably possible to develop him in that position.

But I think that we have to exercise caution when we talk of him as our certain top C going forward. He never showed the natural tendencies of a C in his early pre-draft days, and never played in this position until challenged to do so by CBJ. He is in fact the product of a development approach followed by CBJ - one which seems to have emphasized offence far more than defence.. His defensive stats have been decidedly poorer than his offensive, and PLD is not,as some suggest anywhere close to a 2 way C , like Couterier, or, Cirelli. Of course, that`s not to say that PLD may not develop differently under Maurice but, it`s far more likely he will play much more like a typical offensive C, somewhat like Scheifele ( not too much wrong with that though,right?) ;)

So with all that in mind, I think we would be well served to put at least one defensively minded winger with PLD to balance his line.I think those who suggest a line of Connor/PLD/Wheeler will be sadly disappointed with the outcome over a meaningful sample size.

Nice post and I tend to agree with the bulk of it. The one area I would add is that although PLD might be better at O than D he has historically been a possession driver and that is something that was in short supply in our top six last season.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
100% there is no denying Jack is off to a hot start in CLB but I would not slot him ahead of Appleton or Stastny on the Hets this season.
It’s crazy to think that Roslo is a bottom 6’er for the Jets, and is/was CBJ’s #1 center within the first couple of games for his new team.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
It’s crazy to think that Roslo is a bottom 6’er for the Jets, and is/was CBJ’s #1 center within the first couple of games for his new team.
That speaks more to CBJ’s centre depth than JR’s skills. He has had a great start but let’s see how he holds up over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->