OT: PlayStation VUE and NESN

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hey all, I recently purchased a PS4 and seem to recall people talking about NESN streaming on vue and not being blacked out - was wondering if anyone has tried this if they mind commenting on;

- how was the quality and overall experience

- how much does it cost to just stream bruins games? I was a tad confused at the rates for everything

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
To get NESN you need to buy the tier that costs $45 a month

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/?emcid=pa-vu-111688

I have the Vue app on Roku , not direct on PS, and it comes with Nesn, in NH, I'm paying $25 a month - I think it is the second tier. It also gets me NBCSN in that package.

That's a very fair deal. There can be some buffering issues and feel like there is a good 90 second delay at times; I run business class internet and most of the other channels are fine. Depends on if one can tolerate intermittent gaps in picture quality.

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State
I tried it for a while and couldn't stick with it.

I have a fast Fios connection, more than enough for streaming. Vue overall was not bad but NESN in particular was an issue. Too much of a delay in games and too much buffering.

I can't watch a game like that.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I'be had ps vue for a couple months now and I'm a fan. Aside from the occasional buffering I haven't had any issues. I haven't watched a b's game on nesn yet, but I'm not anticipating any issues.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
PlayStation vue and sports

Hey all, I thought there was a thread on this but my now aging eyes mighta missed it

For those of you who love watching the Bruins and patriots, have any of you used PlayStation vue to stream these games yet? I'd like to skip cable this year and just use this service. Any and all info and personalized experience anecdotes are very appreciated!

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Hey all, I thought there was a thread on this but my now aging eyes mighta missed it

For those of you who love watching the Bruins and patriots, have any of you used PlayStation vue to stream these games yet? I'd like to skip cable this year and just use this service. Any and all info and personalized experience anecdotes are very appreciated!

Ive had Vue since October.

Works great. Ive only watched the Bruins and maybe some Pats games. It doesn't have FOX or channel 5, so you would miss Pats games on those channels

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Ive had Vue since October.

Works great. Ive only watched the Bruins and maybe some Pats games. It doesn't have FOX or channel 5, so you would miss Pats games on those channels

Thanks! Haha guess I made the original thread. Oops. All those knocks on the head as a kid are finally starting to come full circle

Anyone know if you can record/watch games on delay ?

stungun

Feb 28, 2002
Portland, ME
www.seanrileysite.com
i have had vue for 9 months now. just cancelled as buffering was getting horrible and they just bumped prices up. overall i was happy, dont like when anyone just decides to raise viewers prices to cover their advertising and marketing campaigns.

i had no problems with bruins telecasts. i used vue in multiple ways with varying results. ironically the playstation 3 worked horribly and using the guide with ps3 is the reason i am cancelling, i use it in my man cave and at times it is unuseable. the fire tv app worked reasonably well for our living room. initially i used chromecast via ipads to watch vue. this was touch and go to. i think a lot depends on your internet speed and your wifi settings. i think to many users dont know anything about setting them up to work optimaly. plus i am on simple cable internet up here in the woods so speeds vary and we dont get overloaded like metro areas i assume.

overall vue is good but i am ready to try something new so directv now is where i am headed and i will find the bruins online for free. :sarcasm:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Thanks! Haha guess I made the original thread. Oops. All those knocks on the head as a kid are finally starting to come full circle

Anyone know if you can record/watch games on delay ?

what do you mean about watching recording games on delay.
You canrecord anything. It just deletes after 30 days. The DVR is unlimited. So if you record a Bruins game, I think it records every single NHL game thats being aired and stores it in the DVR- as NHL Hockey. Im pretty sure thats how it worked last NHL season.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I live in Denver and I'm trying to decide my best option for watching the Bruins this year. I've done NHL.tv the last couple years but I've had mixed results.

Can anyone comment on the cost & performance of Vue vs NHL.tv?

I don't need any channels other than NESN so I don't care about all the other stuff that comes with Vue.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I live in Denver and I'm trying to decide my best option for watching the Bruins this year. I've done NHL.tv the last couple years but I've had mixed results.

Can anyone comment on the cost & performance of Vue vs NHL.tv?

I don't need any channels other than NESN so I don't care about all the other stuff that comes with Vue.

i dont know if you can get nesn in denver on vue

roll4lines

Apr 24, 2014
CNY
fenway

find me the last time bruins/candiens played that the canadiens did not a get a 3rd period powerplay

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
what do you mean about watching recording games on delay.
You canrecord anything. It just deletes after 30 days. The DVR is unlimited. So if you record a Bruins game, I think it records every single NHL game thats being aired and stores it in the DVR- as NHL Hockey. Im pretty sure thats how it worked last NHL season.

And do you get the old "the DVR stops recording when the game goes into overtime because its 10:01 PM" issue?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I havent had an issue with this. I remember last years double ot game agaisnt ottawa was all there.

Thanks for all your help Darren

Do you and any of you folks know how to pull up NESN plus and or how to see/click on the bruins games? I just started the free trial and went to the NESN menu but I don't see the bruins game listed...is it too early?

EDIT: NVM peeps I figured it out. The user interface is interesting to say the least. If I had to watch another second of NCIS I was going to claw my eyes out and shove an ice pick in my ears

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad