Plays where a very fast player got beaten by a player who was slower than him

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Obviously these are just outliers. Lots of things can factor into this. The fast player was caught flat footed and the momentum was going the other way. The fast player was at the end of his shift, was nursing an injury, etc. But what times did a player slower than the fast player beat them at their own game with speed? Show times that someone burst past them or other ways.

1971 Game 2 Habs/Bruins. We all know this game. The squandered 5-1 lead by the Bruins. The first goal to start the comeback was Orr getting his pocket picked by an older Henri Richard. Richard bursts in past Orr who is caught flat footed and scores. It starts at 4:00. Then start at 6:00, same game, but Lemaire steals the puck from a flat footed Orr and goes the length of the ice. Not that Lemaire couldn't skate, but he stays ahead of Orr here. To be fair, Orr had 4 points in this game and these are rare times he is looking bad defensively.

Stevens wasn't an offensive defenseman by the time 2000 hit, and he wasn't someone with blinding speed, but when Pavel Bure is just gliding back and doesn't try to thwart a 2-on-1 then you look fast. Start at 47:15

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't know if it's accurate to say that he beat fast players, but Darren McCarty whipping the whole Flyers defense on the cup-winning goal in 1997 is still memorable. I think Janne Niinima was the one he completely undressed.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Gino odjick stripping Ray Bourque of the puck in Boston’s zone and scoring a great goal

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I don't know if it's accurate to say that he beat fast players, but Darren McCarty whipping the whole Flyers defense on the cup-winning goal in 1997 is still memorable. I think Janne Niinima was the one he completely undressed.
Correct , Dmac turned Niinima inside out.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

52 second mark of the video.

Hmmm............yeah not what I was really looking for. I am thinking of times a player blows by another one that we know is very fast. Like Henri Richard doing it to Orr for instance. This was just a bad pass or Bourque bobbling the puck right at the side of the net and Gino burying it. I know Bourque got beat by Bill Lindsay pretty badly in the 1996 playoffs on what was eventually the series winning goal, so I was thinking this play would be something more like that.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Hmmm............yeah not what I was really looking for. I am thinking of times a player blows by another one that we know is very fast. Like Henri Richard doing it to Orr for instance. This was just a bad pass or Bourque bobbling the puck right at the side of the net and Gino burying it. I know Bourque got beat by Bill Lindsay pretty badly in the 1996 playoffs on what was eventually the series winning goal, so I was thinking this play would be something more like that.

Clearly unfamiliar with Montana Bill's footspeed. This thread quickly became "instances of players being scorched by inferior counterparts."

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Obviously these are just outliers. Lots of things can factor into this. The fast player was caught flat footed and the momentum was going the other way. The fast player was at the end of his shift, was nursing an injury, etc. But what times did a player slower than the fast player beat them at their own game with speed? Show times that someone burst past them or other ways.

1971 Game 2 Habs/Bruins. We all know this game. The squandered 5-1 lead by the Bruins. The first goal to start the comeback was Orr getting his pocket picked by an older Henri Richard. Richard bursts in past Orr who is caught flat footed and scores. It starts at 4:00. Then start at 6:00, same game, but Lemaire steals the puck from a flat footed Orr and goes the length of the ice. Not that Lemaire couldn't skate, but he stays ahead of Orr here. To be fair, Orr had 4 points in this game and these are rare times he is looking bad defensively.

lol Orr was taken to school defensively in that clip. Proves even the best in history aren't above an ass whooping from time to time.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Stevens wasn't an offensive defenseman by the time 2000 hit, and he wasn't someone with blinding speed, but when Pavel Bure is just gliding back and doesn't try to thwart a 2-on-1 then you look fast. Start at 47:15

Ouch.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
lol Orr was taken to school defensively in that clip. Proves even the best in history aren't above an ass whooping from time to time.

As I said before, Orr is commonly believed to have had a bad game there as he was burned for a couple goals and was on the ice for others. He had a bad game, and he still scored 4 points, haha. But yeah, it wasn't a pretty game.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Is it just a coincedence that there seems to exist a lot of video on the dark web of Bourque coughing up the puck or getting beaten badly?...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is it just a coincedence that there seems to exist a lot of video on the dark web of Bourque coughing up the puck or getting beaten badly?...

21 years on a team that should have given you more support but didn't and playing 30 minutes a game for them in all situations means that there will be footage of you on the wrong end of a goal at times. Especially considering there were years Bourque was the one carrying the defensive AND offensive load on those teams.

Reactions: The Pale King

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is Patrick Kane considered slower than Crosby? I think he might be. Here is a lock cinch breakaway foiled by Kane with about 3 minutes left in the 2010 Gold medal game at the Olympics. Crosby scores here and Canada is up 3-1 and I doubt there is overtime then. It's alright, Crosby made up for it later that game. But just look at that separation between Crosby and anyone else and Kane just keeps plugging away to catch him just as he is making the shot. It starts at 1:52:50. I remember thinking that this would have been a classic moment in Canadian history had Crosby scored right then...…...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad