Playoffs?

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I would say yes but there is certain things that would have to take place.
1. The team has to buy into what Hartley is preaching.
2. Our new guys (Cervenka, Hudler, Wideman, and I guess Bartschi) need to provide secondary scoring so the top line isn't relied upon.
3. Kipper and Iginla have to have good to very good seasons.
4. The team has to show up every night and play good, especially in this short season. Better defensive play, more finish on chances, and better all around game.
5. We need a back up goalie to win some games especially if the schedule is crammed and to give kipper rest.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This may be our last year to get in for a few years the Canucks are still strong and the Wild have added some great pieces it is only a matter of time until the Avs and the Oilers pass us. I think we either make it in winning the division or we finish bottom 5 it will be a boom or bust year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If I recall, last year we had a disgusting amount of man-games lost. Plus we lacked serious goal scoring and couldn't win a face off even if the opposition was late to the circle. Our coaching was wonky at times too, whereby Kostopolous was nearly in the running for a while for logging the most minutes for the team.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Not a chance. I think we're likely the weakest team in our division and only Columbus is substantially worse than us. Depending on the start we get we will either be battling for the 8th-11th slot, which will be really close, or we'll be in the battle for the basement, likely headed to 14th. Getting out of the gate with a string of wins is crucial to any success in a shortened season and we'll know where we stand in that regard by Valentine's Day.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
4 games against 2 division rivals
5 games against the other 2
3 games against the other 10 teams in the conference, no East vs West

I'm guessing 5 vs EDM and VAN, 4s vs COL and MIN

Every game will be important and played that way, cant wait

Gary83*

31-22-11 against the west last year.

I think we'll be in the race. Really depends how Iginla starts IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree with a poster above, it's going to be a boom or bust year.
Either Flames come out hot and all the pieces finally come together, or they are quickly fed their lunch and end up near the bottom. I'm really hoping, if they do fall near the bottom, they make it count and move pieces for a single year rebuild on a half season.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

Had to be done.

Anyways, I think the Flames regardless how they do this season need to get young talent on this team asap. Yes I know we are doing better in that department, but boy... when Iginla and Tanguay are done, it looks scary. We need to keep up with the division.

Who's old other than Iginla and Kipper, both of which are exceptional leaders and performers. Tangs, Sarich, Jackman, etc aren't keystone pieces but do their jobs. While Baerstchi, Backlund, Horak, Brodie, and Irving have loads of potential and very young. Then there's Cervenka, Glencross, Bouwmeester, Giordano, Hudler and Cammy who have 10 years each left in them.

I think we have a good mix of talent, so why go young for the sake of going young. Going better perhaps?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Here's what I see:

Nashville, Anahiem, Pheonix, Columbus and Avs will be near the bottom. Dallas, Detroit, Calgary, Edmonton, Chicago, San Jose and Minny will fight each other. LA, St.Louis, and Vancouver will lead the pack.

All 3 divisions are equally tough, perhaps the central is the toughest and the Pacific is the weakest. You can't rule any team out other than Columbus, perhaps Pheoni too

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
had to be fixed. ;)

As for the playoffs, no fudging way. Minnesota and Edmonton improved more than the Flames, and I don't see any significant drop off from the prior season's playoff teams (well maybe Detroit)

Pheonix can't keep doing what they're doing. They're an inflated basement dwelling team that loses their players every year and pick up UFA scraps.

Nashville also lost a marquee player as well as some pride with the fact they almost lost another. How long until they come crashing down.

The Flames have an uphill fight, no question. But they removed their biggest losing common demominator in Brent Sutter, and added 3 pieces while losing Moss & Jokinen.

Flames sit on the edge of the playoffs every year. With a new coach and significant peices, I don't see why they can't atleast remain sitting on the edge.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's my prediction:

1) St. Louis
2) LA
3) Chicago
4) Detroit
5) Vancouver
6) Minnesota
7) Nashville
8) San Jose
9) Dallas
10) Edmonton
11) Calgary
12) Phoenix
13) Anaheim
14) Columbus

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My prediction is we start out semi hot through the first 10 games, then it all comes crashing down, we sell off some of the core, and end up only ahead of Columbus by the end of the season. :nopity:

JK were gonna win the cup :hockey:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Edm will not finish higher than the flames. You cannot expect those kids to win you a playoff birth. No way. Unless they get a goalie, we will finish higher.

And with the Wild, if they stay healthy, they will be good. Van is missing kesler, and will have a ****** backup.

Honestly like the flames chances this year. It's all about the PP and shootouts. Had we won a few shootouts and actually had a half decent PP we would have at least been eliminated in the 1st round last year.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
Here's my prediction:

1) St. Louis
2) LA
3) Chicago
4) Detroit
5) Vancouver
6) Minnesota
7) Nashville
8) San Jose
9) Dallas
10) Edmonton
11) Calgary
12) Phoenix
13) Anaheim
14) Columbus

Avs will be so bad they won't even rank? :sarcasm:

1) St Louis
2) Los Angeles
3) Vancouver
4) Dallas
5) Chicago
6) Nashville
7) San Jose
8) Colorado

9) Minnesota
10) Detroit
11) Calgary
12) Edmonton
13) Anaheim
14) Phoenix
15) Columbus

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
My prediction is we start out semi hot through the first 10 games, then it all comes crashing down, we sell off some of the core, and end up only ahead of Columbus by the end of the season. :nopity:

JK were gonna win the cup :hockey:

AHAHA I tell people at work (who some don't care about hockey ) to get ready for the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions rally downtown Calgary lol. They seem to disapprove :shakehead

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
My co-worker and I broke it down into three groups for the conference, which I think works best. Mind you this is as the rosters stand now.

1-4 seeds(in no order)
Vancouver
Chicago
SJ/St.Louis
LA

5-13
St. Louis/SJ
Calgary
Detroit
Nashville
Minnesota
Dallas
Anaheim
Edmonton
Colorado

14-15
Columbus
Phoenix

The middle of the pack is Pejorative Slured huge. So many teams have so many question marks on paper.

Calgary is relying on a lot of unknowns in Cervenka, Backlund, Bartschi, and Hartley.

Dallas has to hope Lehtonen can stop more goals than their slightly above average forwards can score. Their defence still sucks.

Anaheim is in similar straits to Dallas. ****** D. Not a whole lot of forward depth after RPG and Selanne. If Hiller starts the season like last year they don't stand a chance.

Minnesota has some huge guns at each position but depth is still questionable, especially on defence.

Colorado has very little consistency from year to year from their fowards and goaltending.

Can Elliot and Halak put up such Pejorative Sluredly good numbers again? Can they afford to score by committee of whoever isn't slumping at the moment?

Nashville lost once of the best in the game on defence. Will Weber suffer without his partner? Will their grab bag of forwards be able to score enough?

Detroit lost the best the best defenseman in the last twenty years. That's gonna be huge. Also relying on a lot of young guys, far more than they've had to in more than a decade.

Edmonton has yet to rise from the bottom of the league. Can the young stars make up for an otherwise lacklustre roster?

Hell even Vancouver is gonna suffer from a complete lack of second line. It's gonna be made up of Raymond, Higgins and one of Booth/Burrows. Only one of those three has been close to a 2nd line producers in past years. And if Schnieder falters after Luongo is moved...

LA won the Cup with a very strong roster last year. They also barely snuck into the playoffs last year. On the other hand perhaps they've avoid the traditional Stanley Cup hangover with the lockout lol.

SJ has an atrocious bottom six, and not the best goaltending, but not bad either. That's pretty much all I've got against them.

Chicago needs Kane to put aside the off ice drama and be the forward they know he can be. A return to form for Keith and Seabrook would help immensely and Crawford only needs to be average with the roster in front of him.

Phoenix lost Ray Whitney's 70 points and replaced it with... David Moss. Sure they got Michalek back, but I suspect Vrbata won't be scoring as many without Whitney feeding him pucks, so I think they're in trouble. I also have my doubts about Smith repeating last year.

And sorry Columbus, but even with you're additions, your roster is still pretty patchwork. Granted, there is room for improvment over last season, as Bobrovsky alone could be a huge improvement over Mason, and Jack Johnson played really well for them down the stretch

This shortened season is simply about who can be hot in the first 25 or so games.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
^ I don't see Chicago or SJ as that good, if Hossa isn't 100% Chicago is fairly weak and Crawford will not be able to carry them. SJ is a decent team will make the playoffs like always but they still aren't a top team they can't seem to elevate themselves.
Imo there is only 1 bottom team I don't see how Phoenix is bottom 2.

Top 3
LA
Vancouver
St.Louis

4-14
Phoenix
Chicago
SJ
Calgary
Detroit
Nashville
Minnesota