Speculation: Playoffs (poll added)

How far do we go?

• Total voters

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They go out in the first round and they'll have some splainin to do :)
Hanging on to the UFAs, trading a 2nd for 4th line C quick fixes two years in a row, not addressing the D need at the deadline.......

I don't agree. They did what they needed to do at the TDL to strengthen the team for the playoffs for a reasonable cost (hindsight is 20/20). The team improved this year and continues to trend up. That is what we should take away from this season. I see them improving the team this off season and would be more disappointed if they lost in round 1 next year.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Im going to say a shocking first round win and then outed in the 2nd. We are due for some breakthrough.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We've got a real fighting chance to make deep into the playoffs. IMO, the Bruins are the best team in the league, but we've proven time and again that we can skate with the best. We're underdogs, but have a legitimate chance at winning that series. Then it's on to Tampa Bay, where we are again the underdogs with a real chance. If we want to be cup contenders, we've gotta figure out a way to get through those teams sooner or later, because they've got talented young cores that aren't going anywhere for the next five years. We may have the hardest road to the cup in the whole league, but we've get a better than Cinderella chance at making it there. Odds are that we go down in the first to the Bruins, but there's no shame in that unless we stink out the joint. Voted "Win one round" because that's halfway between winning two and winning none.

Reactions: iSophagus

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think containing Marchant and staying out of the penalty box will be the keys to beating the Bruins. If Marchant is allowed to do his thing (sh1t disturbing and scoring) we need Rask to not be on top of his game and a lethal PP.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The Eastern conference is looking like its wide open. One upset, here or there and look out! @diceman934 hit the nail on the head in terms of goaltending.

Bruins: Being hit with lots of injuries, will Bergy, McAvoy and Rask hold up? Chara? A lot of their young guys are experiencing playoffs for the first time, how will they deal with it?

Tampa: Vasilevskiy is looking human again, how far can he take them? Will Kuch and Stammer continue their torrid pace of offensive production? Will their depth come through? How will McDonagh fair?

Pens: Matt Murray? What can he do this year? With their average D, can he hold them in playoff games? Will he be 100% healthy? After Murray, their G position is VERY weak.

Caps: Can OV and Backstrom finally get their team to Lord Stanley? They've had moments of brilliance this year, but I see them eliminated in Round 2. Not sold on Holtby, their D-corps, and their depth scoring.

Philly: Mrazek/Lyon? Can Philly's two top lines continue to dominate? Their D is extremely weak!

Wild Card Teams:

Columbus
: Only team I think that can pull off an upset - because of Bobrovsky. When he gets hot, watch out! They also have a decent set up of forwards throughout their lineup.
New Jersey: They remind me of the Leafs, to some extent last year. If teams take them lightly they can definitely flip the switch on you. They play well defensively within themselves for a young team, and they have Schneider who is very capable of holding them in games.
Florida: Barkov, Huby, Trocheck, Bjugstad, Ekblad. They got a team capable to pull off an upset for sure. Luongo is playing amazing, Barkov et al are on fire! If they can keep it going and sneak in, I am sure Tampa and Boston might be a bit scared.

So many questions. As much as people say Tampa could have an easy way to the final or what not, a lot of these teams have already been the HOTTEST they might be this year. Can they take that extra step? Have they already taken it?

What about the Maple Leafs?

Apart from our recent hot streak, we have been fairly consistent throughout the year (in getting points). We haven't had a crazy-hot run like the other teams. I rather take a consistent team over a streaky team, but that also doesn't mean that we can't end up getting streaky! Would love it if we could be streaky in the playoffs ;). Seeing how we played last year against the Caps, I don't doubt that we have that extra level to still show:

• pucks on a string
  • tape-to-tape passes off the rush
  • clean zone entries/exits
  • great puck support
  • great gap control

The Leafs have as deep a team as any, with GREAT goaltending, and arguably 4 great lines with AM34 back in. You can argue Andersen could win a cup this year if he was on any other team - that's how well he has played this year. The thing with the Leafs is because their core is fairly new there is not much "expectation" of what they can do in the playoffs. We can surprise a lot of teams. This team has already been told that the playoffs are the real season, and seeing how they played the Caps last year I can see that.

They've known for some time this year that they would be a lock to make it, and to them that is the ultimate challenge. I really feel they are just waiting for these playoffs to start, so they can explode. We should see their next gear starting April ~12th, 2018 - no doubt though, I would definitely like them to finish the season strong.

I like your post, friend, truly. You put some thought into this. However, your analysis of the teams we face included the shortcomings/weaknesses of the those teams. Your analysis of the Leafs mainly looked at the positives. I'm sure you, as me, know that the Leafs have to tighten up defensively. I worry about JVR and Bozak, Brown can only do so much. I worry about Zaitsev, even more than Polak (who I think has improved these past couple of weeks) because of his low threshold with the puck and zone entries. To the point I'd easily take Carrick with Gardiner over Z. How long can Hainsey go on a night/off/night schedule? Which Gardiner do we get (I lean to good Gards based on history)?

Generally, I like our team, we're good. And, dangerous. But, someone said earlier,'I don't fear any team', I don't either. But, I respect them. You make the playoffs, you got a chance. The Leafs better than most. I think we'll go as far as Andersen takes us. Goalies in the playoffs...give me the guy going lights out and that's who I'm betting on.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think containing Marchant and staying out of the penalty box will be the keys to beating the Bruins. If Marchant is allowed to do his thing (sh1t disturbing and scoring) we need Rask to not be on top of his game and a lethal PP.

This is where I think we'll get undermined. We have this 2 unit PP non sense. We should be loading up 1 unit that plays 1.5 mins of each PP. If we don't utilize our best players more often then we did in the regular season, we will lose. Bozak shouldn't be playing instead of Matthews on the PP with better players, I am sorry. Komarov should never see PP time in the playoffs either. No way should Polak get more than 15 mins of ice time in the playoff either.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I don't seem to be as worried about Boston as other people. I don't think it's a sure thing by a long shot but I feel like we have a 60%ish percent chance of winning that series.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This is where I think we'll get undermined. We have this 2 unit PP non sense. We should be loading up 1 unit that plays 1.5 mins of each PP. If we don't utilize our best players more often then we did in the regular season, we will lose. Bozak shouldn't be playing instead of Matthews on the PP with better players, I am sorry. Komarov should never see PP time in the playoffs either. No way should Polak get more than 15 mins of ice time in the playoff either.

Agreed. Babs can start with what got us here but as soon as it isn't working, he has to lean on his horses. If we are going down, it has to be on the shoulders of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri and JVR (on the PP only) and Rielly, Dermott, Hansey and Gardiner on D.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Just because they're using the 2nd unit heavily right now doesn't mean that they will use it the same way in the playoffs. Babcock knows that rest is a weapon, and he isn't over using anyone (maybe Andersen, but that seems to be working and is a different conversation).

I expect the minutes to be distributed differently in the 2nd season. And I'm glad that the coaching staff is making sure our whole roster is clicking for when we get there. Playing the top guys a bit less and the depth guys a bit more makes sure we have everyone rested and tested, rather than some tired and some rusty.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I like your post, friend, truly. You put some thought into this. However, your analysis of the teams we face included the shortcomings/weaknesses of the those teams. Your analysis of the Leafs mainly looked at the positives. I'm sure you, as me, know that the Leafs have to tighten up defensively. I worry about JVR and Bozak, Brown can only do so much. I worry about Zaitsev, even more than Polak (who I think has improved these past couple of weeks) because of his low threshold with the puck and zone entries. To the point I'd easily take Carrick with Gardiner over Z. How long can Hainsey go on a night/off/night schedule? Which Gardiner do we get (I lean to good Gards based on history)?

Generally, I like our team, we're good. And, dangerous. But, someone said earlier,'I don't fear any team', I don't either. But, I respect them. You make the playoffs, you got a chance. The Leafs better than most. I think we'll go as far as Andersen takes us. Goalies in the playoffs...give me the guy going lights out and that's who I'm betting on.
Thanks @meefer, honestly didn't put much thought into it just spoke about the obvious things that come to mind. I type really fast, plus I am at work so I'm working on a double monitor setup which makes it easy to juggle the rosters/stats about other teams ;)

Yeah my Leafs section was harping more on the positive. I agree with a lot of the points you mention on the "question marks" surrounding our team. JVR looked to use his size and reach a bit against the Pens recently, I was surprised with how he was tying guys up at times. Him & Bozak are our wildcards tbh. If they decide "Hey, that's it, I've had enough!" and they go on a tear, hitting everything, scoring, blocking shots, etc then we can do quite well. We will need to rely on them heavily. They know we are counting on them so hopefully they can bring it! I can't tell you how much I harp on Bozak and company, but the moment he scored that winner with the deft direction (pass from Kadri) in Game 3, I was going wild :laugh:

Every player steps it up in the playoffs, every player! They know this is the real season, where every shift counts, every possession counts. I am not expecting domination or a sweep of any kind. I am looking for positive growth from all of our core guys and steady support from our vets (Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Hainsey).

Andersen is Andersen! I am not worried about him at all.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not sure how my prediction matters but Tampa Bay and Boston seem like the least formidable 110+ point NHL teams I can imagine. The Leafs seem to match up with either team well. Pittsburgh and Washington seem like opponents with games that really challenge the Leafs. Pittsburgh is all hustle and elite forechecking/cycling up front. Washington can rough up an opponent although meeting such a team in the 3rd round means this is less of a factor.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Not scared of Boston. They have one unbelievable line, which means the Kadri and Plekanec lines will have to be at the top of their game, but I don't see them having the offensive depth to hang with us in a long series. We have too many threats on every line.

Tampa is a different beast altogether.

Reactions: robertmac43

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
We'll best the bruins(fairly easily)

We're in their heads, play them very well, and will be incredibly determined with scary memories in their heads. Kadri, Rielly, Gards and JVR especially should be extremely motivated.

I'm honestly quite a realist, and not worried much about Boston.

Lets atleast win one playoff series before we talk about easily beating teams ahead of us in the standings.:rolleyes:

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I think the key to beating Boston is getting Marchand off of his game, and I'm of the opinion that this is why we acquired Plekanec at the deadline.

When we have control of the line match-ups, you can bet that Pleks will be out there in Marchand's face every time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Im going to say a shocking first round win and then outed in the 2nd. We are due for some breakthrough.

It should be a fairly even battle against BOS or TB so I find it hard to see how winning the first round would be shocking.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I voted to win 2 rounds.

We're a better team than last year and now we have real playoff experience to draw on.

We've beaten Boston 7 of the last 8. They terrify me because they used to beat us all the time, and then there was that series I cannot bring myself to talk about. But I still think we can do it, and the key is probably Marchand. I hope Mr. Iafrate is right about Pleks and him. Rask is the other problem. The rest of them.... they're getting old.

If we can win the first round we can win the second on pure momentum. Beyond that? Anything's possible but I ain't gonna jinx it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He's a big playoff performer

Nah, not really. Would not say anything extraordinary. 3 points in 6 games last season. The only "good" playoffs he has had was in 2013 with 7 points in 7 games. Beyond that, 2 in 7 in 2012, 7 in 11 in 2011 and 6 in 21 in 2010. Nothing "big". What a myth.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The 1st round is usually the toughest round to win. Watching past play-offs minus the Leafs I always seemed to lose interest after the 1st round. I find the 1st round the hardest to predict and each successive round easier to predict.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->