Speculation: Playoffs (poll added)

How far do we go?

• Total voters

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Boston might start running out of gas in a long playoff series.

It's going to be a battle that's for sure.

I dunno man, people have been saying they should run out of gas any day now for quite some time and they just keep winning. That is one scary team over there but when we play our best, so are we. The thing about Boston is that with their history and experience, you can count on them playing to their potential. We don't have that track record so we're less predictable but if we do play our best, we have no reason to fear any team. So let's hope we play up to our potential and if we do, then it will one one hell of a battle that could go either way.

I don't believe much in making predictions, just calculating probabilities. I said a couple of months ago I believe that I'd give us a 40% shot to beat Boston. Our stock has gone up since then though so today I'd up that to maybe 45%. We might face TB though, I'm not as familiar with them so not sure what our chances are there, probably about the same?

I haven't been this excited about the upcoming playoffs since Doug Gilmour was re-signed by us. OK he got injured right away and didn't play for us but still, that was the last time I felt like we could go far. I can't imagine how excited I will be if we get past the 1st round.

I can't wait!

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
I'd be happy if they won 3 in the first round, crazy pumped if they made it to the second round, on the moon if they made it to the third round, need to be committed if they made it to the finals, die with a smile on my face if they won the cup.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I'm still not sure Boston is going to be our first round opponent. As for how far we go. Depends which Jake shows up.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
The only team I think we likely would lose to is the Lightning (and the Penguins should the cards align). I do not fear the Bruins at all like most of you guys do (for some reason). The Leafs have dominated them the last 2 years taking 7 of 8. This isn't the 2013 Leafs. If anything it should be a fun hard-fought series with some well balanced teams with exciting youth. I give the Bruins an edge in D, I think we have the edge in F and goaltender position is a wash. Give Leafs the coaching edge also. Plekanec was also a good/important add as someone who has multiple experience against the Bruins, freeing up some potentially easier match-ups for the Kadri line w/ a very experienced Marleau and not to mention Marner. Matthews showed glimpses of another level last year against the Caps. I would like to see how he performs a year later with some playoff experience under his belt (not to mention same goes to Nylander and Hyman, who should shine in a series like this). Kapanen on the 4th line is incredible with his speed. I fear for the Bozak and JVR duo, but JVR has shown to step up in the past. But that is the line that will cause stress during the playoffs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have been saying it for a while now we can make it to the dance.

Look at all the top teams in the east and they all have goaltending issues.

We have 4 solid lines and a very mobile D coor with championship goaltending.

Babcock has played with our lineup all year long and it has cost us points.

We match up well against everyone and if we get on a roll we will be hard to stop.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have been saying it for a while now we can make it to the dance.

Look at all the top teams in the east and they all have goaltending issues.

We have 4 solid lines and a very mobile D coor with championship goaltending.

Babcock has played with our lineup all year long and it has cost us points.

We match up well against everyone and if we get on a roll we will be hard to stop.

I've had similar thoughts - the first round might the hardest for us and if we get past that, watch out!

I'm not sure if this makes any sense and I can't really explain the rationale behind it, maybe it has something to do with a young team gaining the confidence required to win the cup, not sure.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
The Eastern conference is looking like its wide open. One upset, here or there and look out! @diceman934 hit the nail on the head in terms of goaltending.

Bruins: Being hit with lots of injuries, will Bergy, McAvoy and Rask hold up? Chara? A lot of their young guys are experiencing playoffs for the first time, how will they deal with it?

Tampa: Vasilevskiy is looking human again, how far can he take them? Will Kuch and Stammer continue their torrid pace of offensive production? Will their depth come through? How will McDonagh fair?

Pens: Matt Murray? What can he do this year? With their average D, can he hold them in playoff games? Will he be 100% healthy? After Murray, their G position is VERY weak.

Caps: Can OV and Backstrom finally get their team to Lord Stanley? They've had moments of brilliance this year, but I see them eliminated in Round 2. Not sold on Holtby, their D-corps, and their depth scoring.

Philly: Mrazek/Lyon? Can Philly's two top lines continue to dominate? Their D is extremely weak!

Wild Card Teams:

Columbus
: Only team I think that can pull off an upset - because of Bobrovsky. When he gets hot, watch out! They also have a decent set up of forwards throughout their lineup.
New Jersey: They remind me of the Leafs, to some extent last year. If teams take them lightly they can definitely flip the switch on you. They play well defensively within themselves for a young team, and they have Schneider who is very capable of holding them in games.
Florida: Barkov, Huby, Trocheck, Bjugstad, Ekblad. They got a team capable to pull off an upset for sure. Luongo is playing amazing, Barkov et al are on fire! If they can keep it going and sneak in, I am sure Tampa and Boston might be a bit scared.

So many questions. As much as people say Tampa could have an easy way to the final or what not, a lot of these teams have already been the HOTTEST they might be this year. Can they take that extra step? Have they already taken it?

What about the Maple Leafs?

Apart from our recent hot streak, we have been fairly consistent throughout the year (in getting points). We haven't had a crazy-hot run like the other teams. I rather take a consistent team over a streaky team, but that also doesn't mean that we can't end up getting streaky! Would love it if we could be streaky in the playoffs ;). Seeing how we played last year against the Caps, I don't doubt that we have that extra level to still show:

• pucks on a string
  • tape-to-tape passes off the rush
  • clean zone entries/exits
  • great puck support
  • great gap control

The Leafs have as deep a team as any, with GREAT goaltending, and arguably 4 great lines with AM34 back in. You can argue Andersen could win a cup this year if he was on any other team - that's how well he has played this year. The thing with the Leafs is because their core is fairly new there is not much "expectation" of what they can do in the playoffs. We can surprise a lot of teams. This team has already been told that the playoffs are the real season, and seeing how they played the Caps last year I can see that.

They've known for some time this year that they would be a lock to make it, and to them that is the ultimate challenge. I really feel they are just waiting for these playoffs to start, so they can explode. We should see their next gear starting April ~12th, 2018 - no doubt though, I would definitely like them to finish the season strong.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The only thing that hurts us that we won't have home-ice in the first two rounds.

Because both the series against Tampa and Boston are just coin-flips.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know some people didn't like us spending a 2nd round pick to get Boyle last season but if you consider that it's very possible (and perhaps even quite likely) that we wouldn't have have made it to the playoffs without him ... those 6 games of playoff experience for Matthews, Marner etc. are looking awfully valuable right about now and because of that, I like our chances much better this spring then I would otherwise.

Of course the other side of the argument is that if we go out in the first round, we would have been better off keeping our 2nd round pick last year (and also this year) but I prefer to think positively and say it was worth the gamble.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I know some people didn't like us spending a 2nd round pick to get Boyle last season but if you consider that it's very possible (and perhaps even quite likely) that we wouldn't have have made it to the playoffs without him ... those 6 games of playoff experience for Matthews, Marner etc. are looking awfully valuable right about now and because of that, I like our chances much better this spring then I would otherwise.

Of course the other side of the argument is that if we go out in the first round, we would have been better off keeping our 2nd round pick last year (and also this year) but I prefer to think positively and say it was worth the gamble.

They go out in the first round and they'll have some splainin to do :)
Hanging on to the UFAs, trading a 2nd for 4th line C quick fixes two years in a row, not addressing the D need at the deadline.......

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They go out in the first round and they'll have some splainin to do :)
Hanging on to the UFAs, trading a 2nd for 4th line C quick fixes two years in a row, not addressing the D need at the deadline.......

True enough.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Playoffs are likely a function of Freddy’s play and Auston’s health.

Most of the other details like match ups or special teams won’t matter if either or both of those factors are not positive.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
1st round exit.

I don't think they matchup well against either Tampa or Boston.

I think with Tampa, they play similar styles, but the Lightning are better, deeper, and more experienced than the Leafs.

The Bruins seem to play a style that is specifically designed to counter what the Leafs / Tampa / Pitt try and do, and they are so deep. I don't fancy Bergeron / Marchand / Chara on the ice for 6-7 games against Matthews.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Going to beat Boston in 6 then carry momentum through Tampa. Pittsburgh will be one of the best series of all time with the leafs taking them in 7 before losing a heartbreaker against Nashville in the final.

Win the cup in 2019 a la the 2010 penguins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad