Playoffs! Playoffs?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
When we make the playoffs will you guys take some happy pills? The pessimism on these boards is out of control. Didn't we mant to be playing meaningful games in March and April? Have fans showing up and be in the news about the games on the ice and not ownership? The glass is more then half full.

There's an old saying in the Army that if the troops aren't complaining...something is wrong. Same on F40, but in this case there is a lot to complain about :laugh:.

Reactions: _Del_

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
When we make the playoffs will you guys take some happy pills? The pessimism on these boards is out of control. Didn't we mant to be playing meaningful games in March and April? Have fans showing up and be in the news about the games on the ice and not ownership? The glass is more then half full.

I don't think it's quite that simple that we're playing meaningful games. Our GM bet the farm (literally) on us getting in...I don't think we'd have as much venom had we not signed Hall, kept our youngsters and tried for the playoffs it would be completely different. That added pressure of not having our 1st rounder and all the kids we gave up is a big deal.

Reactions: Surfshop

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Haha I’m an optimist pretty much all the time and I have to say the glass is not half full my man, let alone more than. Expectations changed when we traded for Hall, and this organization is now on the verge of blowing their best chance to make the playoffs in 8 years. Literally just choking it away. If we miss AND lose the opportunity to sign the most marquee free agent in franchise history, it will likely set the franchise back multiple years.

Reactions: Surfshop and zz

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Here's where I am.

Yes, I am happy about the increased attendance. But I want it to be a trend, not a bubble. And I still don't trust Arizona enough yet that I believe it's the former rather than the latter.

I wanted to be playing meaningful games in March or April, but I didn't want them to be last, desperate, flailing grasps at flotsam in the wreckage of our season. And that's what we're doing. Since the start of 2020, nearly every time we've been in a must-win situation, we've not only lost, but we've looked apathetic and disinterested doing it. And maybe I'm perennially naive, but I like to feel like my team cares about succeeding - that's an atmosphere that excites me as a fan. The recent victory with Keller's fantastic game was an example of what I look for (well, the second and third periods, anyway). If the team could produce moments like that - even in losses - then I'd feel more sanguine about things.

What is the glass half full of? That's my question. Is it refreshingly cold water, or lukewarm saliva?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I believe it's approximately 38.4% full, at the moment.

You'll excuse me if I'm not drooling in my cereal bowl over those odds, when the team has left itself zero margin for error after pissing away points to LA, Anaheim and Ottawa a month or so ago.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We were in the race until game 81 last season. I do not give a shit about "meaningful" games anymore. No. More. Moral. Victories. If the team isn't in the playoffs, it's a tremendous failure and everyone needs to be fired.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Barely make the playoffs in a wide open west...whoopee! They won't make it next year with this team's roster without many changes. They just dont have it in them. This year is fools gold. To many better teams and organizations above, around and below them.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I think the team needed this. Have the challenge laided out, come together and go on a run. These next 4 games will say alot about the team :)
The "challenge" was "laid out" 10 weeks ago when GMJC went all-in leveraging valuable futures for a possible half-season rental. The last 32 games have said a lot about this team...very little of it good. But hey the Coyotes absolutely clattered a Sabres team in crisis, surely that means all our troubles are behind us...

Reactions: _Del_ and JTPoni23

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Who do we want to win this one? Pls no 3-point games.

upload_2020-3-3_14-14-42.png

The same games played...one pt separates. We are actually behind the Wild in pt%. I vote for them to lose, but that means Preds move further out of reach. tough call.

upload_2020-3-3_14-18-20.png

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Just no 3-points games between rivals. That's where the free improvement for the Yotes hope is to be found.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Who do we want to win this one? Pls no 3-point games.

View attachment 330371

The same games played...one pt separates. We are actually behind the Wild in pt%. I vote for them to lose, but that means Preds move further out of reach. tough call.

View attachment 330379
Yeah, this is a tough call. If Minnesota wins they jump up. But I'm not sure they can sustain their winning. So maybe win tonight and then let the losses start rolling in?

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
Assisting is the key word. Not leading, not motivating. The Kessel whisperer is a farce. Kessel played better after Tocchet left. Please share your financial information on the owner that was going to go broke within a year. Speculation at best.

rt

May 13, 2004
Still 10th worst P% in NHL. All of these things just seem to happen to us and all around us. The one constant is that no matter what, we seem to just always be the 10th worst team in the NHL. It’s the one thing we can depend on. No matter what happens, there will be only nine teams in the league worse than us. This will never change and will always be true.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Assisting is the key word. Not leading, not motivating. The Kessel whisperer is a farce. Kessel played better after Tocchet left. Please share your financial information on the owner that was going to go broke within a year. Speculation at best.

It’s pretty common knowledge that Barroway was leveraged to the hilt when he bought out the original IA group. Why do you think he only was left with a 5% stake in the team after Meruelo came in?? That was all the equity he had in it. Aside from the massive loan debt he had to pay off, he was losing millions on top of it running the team.

Barroway is a rich guy. But not rich enough to continue burning through tens of millions annually propping up the franchise. That’s why six months after he bought out IA he was looking for a “minority” investor to drop $200-250 million into the team for a minor stake (ie no control). Nobody in their right mind would drop that much cash into something without a say into it.

If Meruelo had not come along when he did the odds were extremely high Barroway would have been forced to sell the team to either OVG (Seattle) or Tillman Fertitta (Houston).

If you don’t want to believe that then that’s your problem. Most everyone here in F40 knows what the deal was..

Getting back to Tocchet. Look at who Kessel had to play with in Pittsburgh and look who he has now. You going to try convincing me (or anyone) the Penguin’s forward group is inferior to ours?? The “Kessel Whisperer” thing was something hyped up by the media.

Tocchet came to Arizona because he wanted another chance to be a head coach. He could have stayed in a comfortable spot in Pittsburgh, but he didn’t. He went after the position and gave Chayka a full on presentation on what he wanted to do. He may still end up being a bust, but to make some lame drive by chirp that he’s had no fire since the gambling thing a decade ago is a load of manure.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I dunno how lottery odds came up, but we'll win the cup before we win a lottery even with Taylor Hall juju.

I wanted to be playing meaningful games in March or April, but I didn't want them to be last, desperate, flailing grasps at flotsam in the wreckage of our season.

Whatever it's full of, since December it's sprung a leak.

Arguably November.

The Coyotes are IN meaningful games but are they playing like it? Not a distinction without a difference.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Virtually every result last night went against the Coyotes, if not all of them. Almost like not controlling your own fate shouldn't been considered "glass half full"?

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta
Virtually every result last night went against the Coyotes, if not all of them. Almost like not controlling your own fate shouldn't been considered "glass half full"?
Given our position in the standings the Team should be well motivated, Given their effort since xmas break well rested. Else i hope the glass is half full of high percentage spirits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad