Playoffs or No playoffs (mod can make poll?)(sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Why can't they make the playoffs and get better in the off-season? A handful of spots in the middle of the draft shouldn't make or break the franchise.

My hunch is Babcock is coaching to a team he knows can't score goals. He's trying to beat other teams with defensive and safe hockey. So my hope is the focus will be getting guys in the off-season who can score goals.

Trades, free agency, whatever... Holland can't try the same roster again or even the most cheery Wings fans are going to run out of patience.

I agree with everything you said. I have a hunch that in the offseason we are going to trade for Campbell. I'm not sure what we give up but we're still a top pairing dman away from a solid defence and he's the only one that we could realistically get without having to pay an arm and a leg for. I don't think they eat any of his salary so I'm not sure what it would take to get him. I think it'd take either Smith/Kindl + & right now Kindl will more than likely hold more value then Smith in the offseason, I wouldn't give up Smith/Nyquist/our 2014 1st in a deal for Campbell though.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Just a hypothetical but what looks better over all. Not saying this will happened but who knows.

Wings miss the playoffs and go on to be contenders for the next 5 + years.

Wings make the playoffs but get swept in the first round then go on to being contenders for the next 5 + years. Meaning the Playoff streak is extended to 30 years instead of 8-9.

I just don't understand why anybody would want it to end. Not making the playoffs you have zero percent chance of winning. Making it at least you have a chance. Could be slim but a chance.

They think drafting 2 places sooner will get us tgr next Wayne Gretzky

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Why can't they make the playoffs and get better in the off-season? A handful of spots in the middle of the draft shouldn't make or break the franchise.

My hunch is Babcock is coaching to a team he knows can't score goals. He's trying to beat other teams with defensive and safe hockey. So my hope is the focus will be getting guys in the off-season who can score goals.

Trades, free agency, whatever... Holland can't try the same roster again or even the most cheery Wings fans are going to run out of patience.

I meant that more in the way of "let's switch focus to improving" if we happen to miss the playoffs. I don't mean they can't improve if they go to the playoffs.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I meant that more in the way of "let's switch focus to improving" if we happen to miss the playoffs. I don't mean they can't improve if they go to the playoffs.

It's my hope this little scare is enough to spur some action, but I also get to enjoy playoff hockey.

And a 1st round upset of the Hawks would be the greatest thing ever. It's unlikely, but how great would that be? So great.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
No credit to kipper hey? He made several highlight real save. Some times teams meet a hot goalie, thats life. But rather than give credit, where credit is due, you proclaim Detroit doesnt deserve anything?

If you want to descredit weak goals, do so both ways. Calgary scored 2 greasy goals, otherwise that game would have been in overtime and we would be 1 point(at worst) back of columbus with a game in hand.
I don't recall saying Kipper doesn't deserve any credit. Kindl had a glorious opportunity to send it into overtime but got robbed. Howard also had his fair share good saves as well. But highlight reel saves or not. as that much should be expected out of an NHL goalie, doesn't change the fact that the Red Wings struggle to score goals. Please keep in mind only Florida has given up more goals than Calgary. But it is the job of the offense to be able to put the puck in the net despite having to face a "hot" goalie. It's just that the Red Wings simply don't have enough secondary scoring or offensive threats.

A blown line change on a POWER PLAY that results in giving up a short handed goal does not constitute a greasy goal. That's mini mite ****. It was the most pathetic thing I've seen in a long time. I'm sure Jimmy Howard agrees as you saw him throw up his shoulders in shock and disgust before he even went behind the net in attempt to play the puck, he needs to work on his backhand heh. The other one was a head scratcher though.

The Red Wings had no business losing that game last night, plain and simple. A playoff team would have taken care of business against a lousy, lousy Iginla-less Calgary team.

For the record, I would love to see a couple playoff games. If they don't and they get a lottery pick that's fine as well. At this point I'm waiting for next season.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
1) We all want the red wings to make the playoffs. Poll should be 100% yes.

2) Those that voted no, voted for the silver lining. Silver lining is, if we miss the playoffs, maybe the management will change how they do business because they no longer need to "protect the playoff streak"

So with that i say:

Make the playoffs (hope they see the silver lining anyway)
else... silver lining :)

P.S. as for the comments right above mine. We didn't beat Columbus or Calgary all year (pretty sure). So that being said, missing the playoffs is now a real concern.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
I want Holland to have no excuse to think this team is a potential cup contender and keep veterans who suck over prospects who have earned the time on the big club.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
1) We all want the red wings to make the playoffs. Poll should be 100% yes.

2) Those that voted no, voted for the silver lining. Silver lining is, if we miss the playoffs, maybe the management will change how they do business because they no longer need to "protect the playoff streak"

So with that i say:

Make the playoffs (hope they see the silver lining anyway)
else... silver lining :)

Thumbs up.

9hWi1Th.png

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If Holland bases his moves on whether the Wings finish 8th or 9th he's not doing his job. He's conservative, but I don't think he's blind.

I don't buy into this concept, miss playoffs = red button, big changes vs. make the playoffs = everything is fine, no changes. 8th or 9th only affects this season, not next.

While saying that, it doesn't mean I think missing the playoffs will be such a bad thing. But I don't see any great benefits either. Wings would pick a few spots higher in the draft, that's it. Before anyone says we could win the lottery, that's correct, but the chances of winning the cup would be about as big(small).

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
1 point behind.

We have 4 games to 3 left on the schedule in comparison with Columbus.

I think we sneak in.

However I too understand the sentiment that a first round matchup with Chicago would seemingly result in a slaughter, but I'd have a reason to go down to Windsor and see Game 3 at least.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I want Holland to have no excuse to think this team is a potential cup contender and keep veterans who suck over prospects who have earned the time on the big club.

Would that change anything?

His reasoning would probably be.

"We had the most man games lost to injury this year. If Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Helm didn't get hurt we would have missed the playoffs. Can't really do much about that. When they all come back next year we are a playoff team again".

Based on his interview last night that seems to be where he is at.

Going to be fun when all those guys come back and there is no room for Tatar and Nyquist is on the 4th line. Yikes :laugh:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Dallas is the team I'm more worried about. They close out at home against Columbus and the Wings, which means that even if they drop one or both of the games they have at LA and at San Jose, they'll still be in position to dictate their own fate.

Hell, if they beat the Wings tomorrow night I like the Yotes' chances pretty well. They have a tap-in game vs the Avs at home and play at Anaheim on the last day of the year when Anaheim will sit everybody and roll over. So that puts them at 50 points, or 52 if they beat the Wings. That could get them in even if they lose their other game to San Jose.

Columbus has road games at San Jose and Dallas before a tap-in home game against the Preds to close it out.

My predictions - if I'm wrong, Kronwalled55 will eat a hat made out of crow:

DET:
vs PHO SOL (Wings spend this whole game in the box, tie it late, and lose in a shootout)
vs LA L (Quick makes 54 saves, though 51 of them are long unscreened shots from 70 feet out)
vs NSH W (Nashville sucks)
@ DAL OTL (Wings lose a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period on giveaways by Filppula and Quincey, and lose on an OT breakaway when Ericsson gets caught pinching)
Total Points = 52
Total ROW = 19

CBJ:
@ SJ OTL
@ DAL Loss
vs NSH Win
Total Points = 52
Total ROW = 17

DAL:
@ LA L
@ SJ W
vs CBJ W
vs DET OTW
Total Points = 53
Total ROW = 23

PHO:
@ DET SOW
vs SJ L
vs COL W
@ ANH W
Total Points = 52
Total ROW = 17

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Would that change anything?

His reasoning would probably be.

"We had the most man games lost to injury this year. If Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Helm didn't get hurt we would have missed the playoffs. Can't really do much about that. When they all come back next year we are a playoff team again".

Based on his interview last night that seems to be where he is at.

Going to be fun when all those guys come back and there is no room for Tatar and Nyquist is on the 4th line. Yikes :laugh:
And yet, his interviews probably are only politically correct, what he's expected to say really.

I dont think he would say "i'm not happy with this team and this will be an active summer with buy-outs, trades, FA signings etc"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And yet, his interviews probably are only politically correct, what he's expected to say really.

I dont think he would say "i'm not happy with this team and this will be an active summer with buy-outs, trades, FA signings etc"

Is he being politically correct or is he saying what he actually believes? His actions would say to me he is actually behind what he is saying. We will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad