Playoffs or No playoffs (mod can make poll?)(sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Where do you stand now.
Do you want the wings to make the playoffs or not?

*By now I'm sure you all know what making the playoffs likely mean (sweep/5games 1st round loss to main rivals), and what missing the playoffs could mean (nice draft picks in deep draft, 2 buy-outs in the summer, signing of a tough players like clarkson/torres/horton, let go's of cleary, white, filppula etc.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I want this team to make the playoffs, but I no longer think that they will make the playoffs.
I doubt that not making the POs will result in any of the moves you're hoping for; would be nice to see something done to truly improve this team during the offseason whether we make it into the post season or not.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
what missing the playoffs could mean (nice draft picks in deep draft, 2 buy-outs in the summer, signing of a tough players like clarkson/torres/horton, let go's of cleary, white, filppula etc.

Clearly, you're dreaming if you think missing the playoffs by one point is going to bring that much change.

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
After last night, can't see it happening. Would I want us there, of course I would. If this season as a whole - with a likely swift first round exit - doesn't serve as enough of a wake-up call, just missing out won't either.

Sort of worried about it already, actually... the thinking could very well go along the lines that we're moving to a supposedly softer conference, let's just wait and see and hope for the best.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I want them to make the playoffs. Mainly because whether they make the playoffs or not. Things will stay status quo for next year. Kenny won't fire Babcock (he should), he will try to re-sign Flip and they'll entertain bringing back Cleary (GOD NO).

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
We arent winning the lottery so **** yeah I want to make the playoffs ... [mod] This teams vulnerability is evident more now than ever. Even if we make the playoffs if Holland cant see that and doesnt start doing some proactive moves to get us back to being an elite team then yeah ... ill grab a torch and pitchfork too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Yes I want them to make it, no I don't think will.

Missing the playoffs by a point or 2 and coming is 9th is one of the worst things you could do. I'd rather make the playoffs and get to enjoy at least 4 games with a glimmer of hope to go far than finish 9th. If the Wings are gonna miss the playoffs I'd want them to be Colorado bad.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings have a better chance of winning the lottery than winning the cup.

Watching the wings get slaughtered in the first round doesn't interest me.

It's time for a real rebuild. This current roster is a complete disgrace.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I really want them too, no I don't think they will. just sucks to wacth my team go down with little to no fight at all.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I highly doubt any changes are made just because they miss the playoffs by a few points (if they miss). It's just too easy for Kenny to waive it off because of injuries and no training camp etc and then go back to business as usual.
So if the management's course of action will be the same regardless of whether they make the playoffs, I'd rather see them make it.

RedWingsNow*

Clearly, you're dreaming if you think missing the playoffs by one point is going to bring that much change.

What a silly post.

Maybe Mindfly is right. Maybe he's wrong. But it's not an unrealistic idea that missing the playoffs might serve as a bit of a wake up call.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Playoffs? Upcoming Schedule

Is any other Red Wings fan like me and think this team is going to miss the playoffs?

Upcoming Schedule: @Canucks, Coyotes, Kings, Predators and @Stars.

Detroit will have 2 games in hand against the Blue Jackets before they play on Saturday and if Columbus wins tonight @Kings, then you have to think Saturday against Vancouver is a must win. Detroit also needs Dallas to lose some games here down the stretch.

I see Detroit going like 2-2-1 and missing the playoffs. Detroit needs about 6 points to probably make the playoffs, with the two games in hand they'll have.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
As a fan, of course I want my team to make the playoffs! Rebuilding on the fly is far more admireable than finishing last for a couple of seasons and drafting high (I'm looking at PIT and CHI).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think Holland will make any changes he hasn't already planned regardless of how we finish so I'd like to make the playoffs.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
This is Detroit. Anyone who wants us to miss needs to turn in their Wings gear immediately, because I want and we all should want this team in the postseason. It would be quite an embarrassment for the streak to end like this

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
As much as I'd like to see them in the playoffs, if you can't win one ****ing game all season against the CGY Flames you don't deserve to be in the playoffs

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This is Detroit. Anyone who wants us to miss needs to turn in their Wings gear immediately, because I want and we all should want this team in the postseason. It would be quite an embarrassment for the streak to end like this

Its way less embarrassing to get destroyed by Chicago in four maybe five games?

The playoff streak is worthless if you aren't contending.

Today's NHL requires tanking/high draft picks to turn into a contender.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Its way less embarrassing to get destroyed by Chicago in four maybe five games?

The playoff streak is worthless if you aren't contending.

Today's NHL requires tanking/high draft picks to turn into a contender.

Nah, if Holland had made a few correct moves this year we could be right in the thick of things to make the playoffs.

Today's NHL requires a New England Patriots style of management, get talent while they're young and use them until they're too expensive, then move on. Identify your core and pay them while supplying the team with enough depth to continue contending. Pittsburgh isn't the best example because they had to be horrible to get Crosby and Malkin, but since getting them Shero has find ways to continually bring in more talent that works (Dupuis, Kunitz, Neal, Iginla).

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Nah, if Holland had made a few correct moves this year we could be right in the thick of things to make the playoffs.

Today's NHL requires a New England Patriots style of management, get talent while they're young and use them until they're too expensive, then move on. Identify your core and pay them while supplying the team with enough depth to continue contending. Pittsburgh isn't the best example because they had to be horrible to get Crosby and Malkin, but since getting them Shero has find ways to continually bring in more talent that works (Dupuis, Kunitz, Neal, Iginla).

Yeah but the Wings core is too old to contend. It's easy to build around 25 year old players who are the best players on the planet. If holland wasnt incompetent and did one thing right, I still don't see this team contending.

Today's CBA doesn't allow teams to rebuild on the fly. You are either good or bad. Being stuck in the middle gets you nowhere.

Time to gut the foundation and hope the Wings don't turn into Edmonton.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah but the Wings core is too old to contend. It's easy to build around 25 year old players who are the best players on the planet. If holland wasnt incompetent and did one thing right, I still don't see this team contending.

Today's CBA doesn't allow teams to rebuild on the fly. You are either good or bad. Being stuck in the middle gets you nowhere.

Time to gut the foundation and hope the Wings don't turn into Edmonton.

Are you advising the Wings trade Datsyuk and buy-out Z?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
If we miss the draft pick we get will be so high it won't be worth it in the end. Unless we have faith on Holland. The point is missing can only be bad.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Are you advising the Wings trade Datsyuk and buy-out Z?

If Holland knew Datsyuk wasn't coming back once his contract was up, absolutely.

Z needs to stay so he can provide veteran leadership to the kids and hopefully prevent a losing culture like there is in Edmonton.

RedWingsNow*

Yep.
It's a fallacy that you need to tank.
It makes it easier to get great young talent... but it's not required.

I also don't think it's critical to move talent when they get expensive. You just need to decide which guys are worth the money and which guys aren't.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Wings have a better chance of winning the lottery than winning the cup.

Watching the wings get slaughtered in the first round doesn't interest me.

It's time for a real rebuild. This current roster is a complete disgrace.

Roster and coaching. Otherwise, I agree with the sentiments here exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad