Pre-Game Talk: Playoffs game 1 the legendary toronto maple leafs vs montreal canadiens

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
The schedule was announced, after the Flames and Canucks were eliminated. I can't speak to when they began to work on it.
I think this happened for 2 reasons: avoids lawsuit with tv stations that purchased the rights to those games and gives the NHL more time to sort out the Canada covid issue.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Thursday….at least we will have an excuse if we lose the first one.
Not happening. This team was in cruise control all season long and there was nothing to play for for half a season. However, if any team challenged us for first in the North we dominated them and put them back in place. The same thing will happen now.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I personally think the fourth line will be fine. Spezza and Simmonds really don't seem that slow to me in all honesty. They're not Mikheyev or Kerfoot..but slow? Bit of a stretch imo. Very veteran savvy guys who can turn up the heat. We all know what Simmonds can bring physically. Spezza has been a stud all year in his fourth line minutes (and they'll start with the puck alot with him on the draws). Thornton has quietly put up his points as he always has, and we've seen what he can bring to the table when he was terrorizing Ehlers...look for more of that from the big bodied 41yr old who's still chasing his first ever Stanley Cup.
I do however agree the shutdown unit of Kerfoot-Nash-Mikheyev is likely much less effective against a team like Montreal, as it would be against a team like Edmonton. Can't wait for Thursday either way. GLG
I think they need some reps with Nash as their C. That is perfect scenario to start that process against habs in lower pressure games. I would expect them to go out there with Tiffoly on the ice. He creates his own offence and we need none of that.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
By the time the Leafs and Habs play game one, every other team, aside from Winnipeg-Edmonton will have played two, and the other games on the night are game three of their series.

It's obvious that Bettman hates the Canadian teams but what kind of shell game is he running here?

Did Bergevin call in a favor because elite shutdown center Phil Danault, who sure showed Matthews what's what, holding him to 7-6-13 in 9, 2012-2014 world's best goalie Carey Price and 2012 Norris trophy runner up Shea Weber still need a bit of rest?

it’s obvious. Semis will start without North if they happen to still play within division with automatic losses assigned until they can play in semis.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
you would have to get someone to turn on the big screen first lol or get someone to bring their own projector...well at least we have nhl playoffs which is better than nothing at all. perhaps if enough people show up outside scotiabank arena it could make the news and that could start a snowball effect. at the very least allow friends and family members of the players to attend socially distancing. I know that if we make the final i am going to be at maple leafs square
If I have to I'll bring the Zenith I have in my basement and we can crowd around that but I don't think we'd be able to social distance., lol. I'll be there in MLS with you if we get to the finals Cobra. After 54 years of no finals, I'll risk any fines they may give.

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
If I have to I'll bring the Zenith I have in my basement and we can crowd around that but I don't think we'd be able to social distance., lol. I'll be there in MLS with you if we get to the finals Cobra. After 54 years of no finals, I'll risk any fines they may give.

i will wear a hazmat suit and gas mask. :D

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
It’s Tuesday, I’ve been watching playoff hockey since Saturday, my team doesn’t play for another 2 nights, and there’s a meaningless game involving non playoff teams being played right now. This is seriously screwing with my head.

look on the brightside. the Leafs are in the playoffs. Playing the HABS. Also, we have a better team than them on paper. Most of our roster is healthy. And Campbell is starting Game 1!

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
why did the leafs canadiens start on thursday while the rest of the league is already done game 2?
is it because of canucks/flames ?
Canucks and Flames are playing during the other playoff series I don't know why it would affect the North series.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not happening. This team was in cruise control all season long and there was nothing to play for for half a season. However, if any team challenged us for first in the North we dominated them and put them back in place. The same thing will happen now.

I don't want to get too cocky as anything can happen in one game but you're right - every time a team got close to us and we played them, we showed them who's boss. Every single time!

Not too cocky, but quietly confident. That's where I'm at and I have to believe that's where our players are at. Let's light this candle already!

Reactions: mix1home

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
SOOOOOO the Habs are going to have some fans and we cannot? Like WTF! How is this remotely fair?

I know it may not get to 6 games, but if it did that is an advantage.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It's too bad we didn't get Jeff Carter instead of Nash. Foligno better bring it for the price Dubas paid.
Carter I think only waived to the pens due to having a prior connection with Crosby as both played at the Olympics and other tournaments.

Don't know if he would have come here (I guess we have Joe who played at the Olympics as well so a possibility)

I watched majority of the pens game and Carter was great. Crosby/rust/Guentzle dominated mostly.

If Malkin comes back healthy the pens are one of the deepest teams at forward. They have a great team that will be a hard team to beat. They need their defense to stay focused and not make bad reads/pinches and need Jarry to be sharp and not let in back breakers

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->