Pre-Game Talk: Playoffs game 1 the legendary toronto maple leafs vs montreal canadiens

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
It's honestly making me depressed watching these games with fans knowing the Leafs don't get any in their arena. Screw this BS already.
It’s truly ridiculous. I was playing volleyball at Woodbine Beach on Saturday and there must have been a hundred people playing., and others just enjoying the sunshine. Nobody stopped us because apparently there were too many of us. Let’s get some fans outside Scotiabank, socially distanced of course, for what will be a historic run by our boys.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It’s truly ridiculous. I was playing volleyball at Woodbine Beach on Saturday and there must have been a hundred people playing., and others just enjoying the sunshine. Nobody stopped us because apparently there were too many of us. Let’s get some fans outside Scotiabank, socially distanced of course, for what will be a historic run by our boys.

Sounds like a really bad idea. There are more than a few people with some power in government who'd love to marginalize hockey fans as bad citizens. I don't think some understand how much some people despise hockey and what it represents.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Its depressing the game is scheduled days after the first playoff game. Starting to remember how awful it is to be out of the playoffs.
Addiction withdrawal is a bad thing.
giphy.gif

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
why did the leafs canadiens start on thursday while the rest of the league is already done game 2?
is it because of canucks/flames ?

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

you would have to get someone to turn on the big screen first lol or get someone to bring their own projector...well at least we have nhl playoffs which is better than nothing at all. perhaps if enough people show up outside scotiabank arena it could make the news and that could start a snowball effect. at the very least allow friends and family members of the players to attend socially distancing. I know that if we make the final i am going to be at maple leafs square

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Would there have been any rule against having Riley Nash play in the Marlies game yesterday on a conditioning stint? Wondering why the Leafs wouldn't have tried to get him in a game before the playoffs.

He's coming off a knee injury and his last game was April 4th.

Mopar

May 3, 2021
I like Foligno on the second line with Tavares. I think they will compliment each other quite well. The second line is going to be huge for us this playoffs. There will be a lot of focus on shutting down the Matthews/Marner duo after the show they put on this season. Time for the second line to thrive and be difference makers in these games and the series.

Can't wait till Thursday!

Reactions: The Masters

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think that new 3rd line has the potential to be a good shutdown line. Like others, I am a bit concerned about the lack of speed of the 4th line, bit if they play sheltered minutes, they should be able to provide energetic shifts and cause some problems in the Habs defensive zone.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sounds like Montreal could have fans in the building?

On the plus side we just reported the lowest numbers in two months!

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I can barely sleep just thinking about this series.

Me too, I just can't get it out of my head that this is going to be an upset. It's just such a Leafy thing for them to do by losing to the worse team that made the playoffs after ruling the division all season long. I hate to sound so pessimistic but they just keep on finding ways to embarrass themselves no matter who the President, GM, Coach or roster is.

By saying this, I'm only going back to 2006 when they first missed the playoffs by a point for 2 seasons and then all sorts of issues after Sundin left. Thinking of the 2013 playoff choke job against the B's; more recently, even though they were the underdog, they were up 2-1 in games against the Caps but couldn't finish those OT games. They were up 4-3 in game 7 against the B's going into the 3rd but then just gave up. Then they were up 3-2 in games against the B's but just couldn't finish the job. Then they tied the series against the Jackets on 3 goals with the goalie pulled but just couldn't finish the job in game 5. That's what makes it so hard to imagine them winning a round.

Then of course other recent 1-game embarrassments like losing to the Zamboni goalie, the Sens beating them 6-5 after down 5-1, losing 2 straight to the Nucks after their Covid shutdown. Losing their last 2 games kinda sucked also. Thinking of these things (and how bad the PP is) is making this a very long week.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
What's the PP lines?
Same ? I thought I saw someone saying they made changes[/QUOTE
What's the PP lines?
Same ? I thought I saw someone saying they made changes
To try and ignite things, Keefe disassembled his usual top unit of Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, John Tavares, William Nylander and Morgan Rielly to create two new groups. Now it’s Rasmus Sandin with Matthews, Marner, Joe Thornton and Zach Hyman, and then Rielly with Tavares, Nylander, Jason Spezza and Wayne Simmonds.

So there you have it sire. Joe Thornton and Hyman on the first PP unit............................................................ Even the sharks of the san jose didn't play joe in their first unit durint that last season of joe with the shesharks sire :Think about that sire, hard.

Our captain, tavares should always, always like the italians say with the hard accent, play in the dirty first unit. He our best shootas too sire. I understand the sandin first role, but joe should not be there. Never again. I'm lauging out loud sire. This that bad coaching. Our rest of the team is so solid, strong, hard and heavy. Thugs. Ready. But those pp units will not be our strentgh in the long run if played like that. Malhotra is not doing it right if that's the human being behind these thangs. That's just plain stupid and old. Joe ain't playing the first unit even with the sharks anymore................................................................................................................ That's some fool dirt right thurr sire.

Our rest of the rich, rightfully built club, IS READY TO KILL A SUCKA OFF!!!!!! :clap:

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Im in BC and live next to a sports field and ymca. Every afternoon theres young kids playing organized youth baseball or soccer, and the ymca has their programs running and full use of the gym (with obvious precautions taken for everyone) Its nice to see our provincial government balance mental health needs with lockdown precautions.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yes, because of the Canucks/Flames... dumb, but hey, it is what it is.

I assume when they made the playoff schedule they couldn't be sure the Flames and Canucks would be out of it so early. How do you schedule playoffs early when two teams that haven't been eliminated yet still have regular season games to play? They had no choice IMO. 29 other teams had to start organizing for the post season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I assume when they made the playoff schedule they couldn't be sure the Flames and Canucks would be out of it so early. How do you schedule playoffs early when two teams that haven't been eliminated yet still have regular season games to play? They had no choice IMO. 29 other teams had to start organizing for the post season.

The schedule was announced, after the Flames and Canucks were eliminated. I can't speak to when they began to work on it.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Yeah thurdsday sire! That's what I meant yeah! :clap: I'm just so excited they making these weird decisions no! These three will only play when needed, after the first three loses. Then they NEED THESE :biglaugh:

You are still a living, breathing jinx to these boards.

I ask this as a fellow Leafs fan and friend. Please don't make guarantees and no Game Day Topics. Your history is...lacking.

Passion and fanship is in the right place, but let's take this one day at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad