Playoffs, Draft and lotto format announced - Are you happy with the format for the habs, or no?

Are you happy with the draft, lotto + playoff format from a Habs perspective?

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To be fair, Habs had won the conference one year before.

The reason Gainey was able to attract them is the organization still had class and most importantly had shown a willingness to do what it takes to make the team better. They were also making the playoffs consistently.

With Bergevin, everything seems to be such a **** show, mirred in mediocrity for half a decade. 2 playoff wins in 5 years. Signing here is desperation at this point. It's like being so desperate you'll pick-up the first skirt you see on Ontario street, even though she's 6'1 and has a coarse voice.

There's no class left in the organization. I'd be surprised to see anyone (except maybe Price), stand up like Couture, Wheeler, etc. are doing.

Molson keeps re-tweeting garbage after allowing 24CH to show us Therrien's treatment of PK week after week.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
1. I'm a fan of Price. Although he's a great goalie, our current lineup is too weak to make a big splash in these playoffs. Who will produce on offense? Do we expect our powerplay to magically arise from the dead? It's unfair to make this all about Price once again.

2. We're talking about a season beginning in the post-season. It's a different type of monster, which no one has observed before. I think it's dishonest to bring up how well we've fared at the start of the previous X-amount of seasons considering my point above.

How will the break impact teams remains to be seen. A part from injury-ridden teams (like the Avs), which should benefit from this break, we're in unknown territory. That, in itself, is exciting. But to what extent is it impactful? No clue.

I'm not saying our lineup is great on offense - but there are some exciting pieces.

1. Drouin. Great in Tampa playoffs in past - and great to start season. Maybe he puts something good together
2. Domi did great last season. Do we see more of that? He seems like someone built for playoffs
3. Suzuki/Kotka/Poehling - would love to see how they do in playoffs

Our issues this year was more on defense and giving up leads, then an inability to score goals. We only scored 12 goals less than Pittsburgh for example (2 more games).

And yes of course - all of this is unknown and unprecedented. I'm just speculating - our history of strong season starts is one angle to consider. As a fan i'm excited to see what happens.

There's no class left in the organization. I'd be surprised to see anyone (except maybe Price), stand up like Couture, Wheeler, etc. are doing.

Molson keeps re-tweeting garbage after allowing 24CH to show us Therrien's treatment of PK week after week.

Can you elaborate on Molson tweeting and especially on Therrien and PK's treatment? I haven't heard specifics and would love to find out more. The one thing we have in common is - to this day I still hate the PK trade more than anyone else here (even though I like Weber fine).

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
They got swept in the conference finals. Yeah anything is possible in a series. But poorly constructed Cinderella teams always lose out eventually.

And dont talk about St Louis. A perennial contender who was sunk by goaltending. Added a top two way C in the league and found a goalie.

If Montreal added ROR and Taylor Hall it would be a totally different story here.

I was joking about the anything is possible line.

I agree with you, I can’t remember a team that I was surprised won the Cup. St. Louis wasn’t, and neither was the Kings in 2012, even though they were the 8th seed.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not saying our lineup is great on offense - but there are some exciting pieces.

1. Drouin. Great in Tampa playoffs in past - and great to start season. Maybe he puts something good together
2. Domi did great last season. Do we see more of that? He seems like someone built for playoffs

Our issues this year was more on defense and giving up leads, then an inability to score goals. We only scored 12 goals less than Pittsburgh for example (2 more games).

And yes of course - all of this is unknown and unprecedented. I'm just speculating - our history of strong season starts is one angle to consider. As a fan i'm excited to see what happens.

Can you elaborate on Molson tweeting and especially on Therrien and PK's treatment? I haven't heard specifics and would love to find out more. The one thing we have in common is - to this day I still hate the PK trade more than anyone else here (even though I like Weber fine).

Molson is just re-tweeting stupid things and no one in the organization has come out to condemn any of this. No one has responded to the Akim Aliu stuff either, which is a shame because Montreal is a multi-cultural place and their words have an impact in the community.

24CH just had a bunch of footage between Therrien and PK, and it was pretty telling how awful he was to PK compared to Gorges in the same room. You'd have to re-watch the episodes, but the stuff you see on it, is pretty disgusting and it's pretty in line with things we've heard from other players who have been around him.

Reactions: BLONG7

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Stop with the if we make it final 8 we will sign better UFA's.

Star UFA's don't sign here regardless how far we make it in the PO's

Bergevin says it until our ears bleed... He will not hurt the future of this team by giving big money to UFA's... He's building through the draft.

Let's be honest, the Habs were sellers at the draft, got more picks and were heading toward a bottom 5 to 7 record.
Habs management and coaching were looking towards the draft.

They would not have made the playoffs and they were following the plan. Get ready to draft another high prospect.

Having this situation happen and gifting the Habs a playoff possibility is simply for the league to generate more cash.

This format was approved by the league because they want to make more money and the players because they want to owe the league less money in order for Cap to go up as soon as possible and have everyone make more money.

If covid hit 1 week later and the league suspended play just 1 week later, I'm pretty damn sure that we wouldn't even be having this conversation because we would have been part of the 7 extra losers and all of you would be talking about the draft and Laffer and trading down and bla bla bla.

Fact of the matter is that Habs shouldn't be in any playoffs and this format throws a wrench in the team's main plan, which is building through the draft.

No way this team's wins the cup. Those who think so are so positive and hopeful to the point of being delusional.

This year apparently the talent drops significantly after the top 8. They go from a Rossi/Perfetti/Holtz/Raymond to best hope Sanderson and most likely someone like Lapierre.

If Habs beat the Pens just to lose the next round, this season ends up being a complete and utter failure. Just another year in no man's land.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
No cause Bergevin will put emphasis that we made playoff this year, so this goal was reach. But in reality, the last season was just a mess all in all

Reactions: Fixxer

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Well the world is changing and this montreal cant sign will quickly change, players will give a discount to play in Canada , and not many Canadian teams have cap room. Keep in mind, ufa, are usually players with young families, and with the way, this pandemic and politics have changes north America, a huge value will be on safety and stability.

Anyways, thats the way i see it .

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

The team you describe is not a team that has any chance of competing for the Cup. Let’s open our eyes.

We need to plan for 4-5 years down the road when Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, our 8th overall this year and Romanov are ready to go toe to toe with the big boys and Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, St Louis, etc are on their way to rebuilding themselves. This is not our window and every year we try to compete is another potential league cycle wasted.

And it’s why Price and Weber have no value to the organization on the ice right now. If we truly want to win something one day and not just sell tickets, we have to do like the Rangers who moved their core a few years ago for a quick rebuild. Imagine the assets you get for those guys to complement the core I mentioned above. You’d turn things around really fast. Heck you could even consider drafting Askarov this year, the highest ranked goalie since Price in the draft.

Think of this- if 5 years ago someone would have asked you if they could actually make you a cup contender within 5 years, would you do it? Of course. Now think 5 years from now, do you want to still be where we are today as we were 5 years ago, or do you want to actually be a cup contender? You tell me.

You have to make tough decisions to get there.

Now if you’re just a passive fan who wants to see your team in the playoffs and doesn’t really care for anything else, I get it, but I’m a hardcore fan that wants to see a Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Locks

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Teams that finish in the final 8 have a better chance of getting good players in Free Agency. So your odds go down on one metric but go up on another.

Based on what? Do you have information that supports this?

Is there data on FA signings that compares teams that start and finish playoffs in 16-9 range to those that start 16-9 but end up 8-1?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I don’t think this will end well for us. We don’t belong in the playoffs and our chances of getting one of the top 3 picks has been diminished substantially from what I have read. We need a draft choice that our current paradigm/development system can not f*** up. That’s a tall order but here we are.

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
We were free falling. Winning 3 games against Pittsburgh in the middle of the summer wont erase an entire season of failure. It would however pervent us from getting a deserved top 10 pick.

Its a complete joke imo.

I'll root for them AND will be completely pissed at loosing a good pick at the same time.... that's not how it should be.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The last time Da Pens were in Da playoffs - they scored 1.5 gpg and were swept in round 1 by a team who got swept themselves by a wildcard team the next round. Theyve since lost Phil Kessel.

By your logic - i guess we're sweeping the Penguins right?

OR - and this is truly a crazy idea, so try to bare with me - OR one counterperformance in a playoff series doesn't define who you are - especially a few seasons removed with the team looking much different. Crazy i know
lol

Let's hope the Habs can shake off the last 5 years, of being pathetic and make a miracle run!!!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Molson is just re-tweeting stupid things and no one in the organization has come out to condemn any of this. No one has responded to the Akim Aliu stuff either, which is a shame because Montreal is a multi-cultural place and their words have an impact in the community.

24CH just had a bunch of footage between Therrien and PK, and it was pretty telling how awful he was to PK compared to Gorges in the same room. You'd have to re-watch the episodes, but the stuff you see on it, is pretty disgusting and it's pretty in line with things we've heard from other players who have been around him.
Bergevin's first move 8 years ago, to hire Therrien................most of us at that point, knew we were in trouble. Therrien and Bergevin have been superstars ever since, no surprise the Habs are in their worst place, in their history, thanks to those two clowns...

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
The last time Da Pens were in Da playoffs - they scored 1.5 gpg and were swept in round 1 by a team who got swept themselves by a wildcard team the next round. Theyve since lost Phil Kessel.

By your logic - i guess we're sweeping the Penguins right?

OR - and this is truly a crazy idea, so try to bare with me - OR one counterperformance in a playoff series doesn't define who you are - especially a few seasons removed with the team looking much different. Crazy i know
I don’t understand why you’re so hellbent on winning now. Can you explain that? It makes zero sense to most of us.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don’t understand why you’re so hellbent on winning now. Can you explain that? It makes zero sense to most of us.

You dont understand why a sports fan wants to cheer his team on to win as they enter the playoffs?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
To be fair, Habs had won the conference one year before.

The reason Gainey was able to attract them is the organization still had class and most importantly had shown a willingness to do what it takes to make the team better. They were also making the playoffs consistently.

With Bergevin, everything seems to be such a **** show, mirred in mediocrity for half a decade. 2 playoff wins in 5 years. Signing here is desperation at this point. It's like being so desperate you'll pick-up the first skirt you see on Ontario street, even though she's 6'1 and has a coarse voice.

giphy.gif

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
You dont understand why a sports fan wants to cheer his team on to win as they enter the playoffs?
Yes because your team isn’t going to win, wasn’t supposed to even be here except for a pandemic, and all you’re doing is f*cking up your future chance to actually win. OPEN YOUR EYES

Can’t you be patient and try to win when it’s our time? Are you not understanding a thing anyone is telling you? Lol

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes because your team isn’t going to win and all you’re doing is f*cking up your future chance to actually win. OPEN YOUR EYES

Can’t you be patient and try to win when it’s our time?

Hate to break it to you - but i'm not Marc Bergevin and I have absolutely 0 control over what the habs management is actually doing, sorry.

I'm just a fan trying to engage with other fans and be optimistic about us doing well in these playoffs. Nothing I do or say has any effect on the team, nor the direction they go. It's cute that you think that your opinion on HF is actually effecting some sort of change though.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Hate to break it to you - but i'm not Marc Bergevin and I have absolutely 0 control over what the habs management is actually doing, sorry.

I'm just a fan trying to engage with other fans and be optimistic about us doing well in these playoffs. Nothing I do or say has any effect on the team, nor the direction they go. It's cute that you think that your opinion on HF is actually effecting some sort of change though.
I’ll chalk it up to the 80-20 rule that you have absolutely no clue.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
While our opinions don’t mean much, you should at least be able to analyze the state of your team. Again if you just want to be a passive fan who waves his pompoms that’s fine, but others want to actually win someday.

How am I not analyzing the state of our team properly? You're just throwing out words now.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad