Line Combos: Playoffs and the Healthy Roster

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No way Burrows doesn't play imo. He's scored big goals for us already.

White will sit, unless we have 2-3 injuries.

He will get a look in the final 2 games I'm sure and if he exceeds expectations he may push Dzingel out of the lineup if anyone

I know it's not realistic.

BURrows and wingels were both good last night. So maybe they carry that into the playoffs. Not 100% confident with that though

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Boucher loves Kelly because of his experience and solid pk ability. I only see White coming in if things start to go south in games 1/2.

Being a key part of the worst PK in the league going into the playoffs is a questionable accomplishment.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know it's not realistic.

BURrows and wingels were both good last night. So maybe they carry that into the playoffs. Not 100% confident with that though

Dzingel is probably the coldest player on the team... 2 pts in his last 21 games. Dude is a scratch no matter how much we like his speed.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Dzingel is probably the coldest player on the team... 2 pts in his last 21 games. Dude is a scratch no matter how much we like his speed.

Makes sense.

I jsut think Mac-White-Dzingel would bring a speed factor that we desperately need.

But who do you pull out for Dzingel? That's the hard part.

I said this the other day, we just have too many bottom 6 guys. I think we're missing a piece in the top 6 to push us over the top. Either a C (to replace Brass) or a RW (to replace Ryan).

If Mac gets back to speed I think Mac and Hoff are legit top 6 LW's

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
If White is playing that means that Smith is on the LW to take draws if needed.

What I'd Do:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Brassard - Burrows
Dzingel - Pageau - Ryan
Smith - White - Pyatt

Stalberg, Kelly, Wingels, Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Wideman
Claesson - Ceci

Harpur, Borowiecki, Jokipakka

What Boucher Will Do:

Smith - Brassard - Burrows
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Stalberg - Kelly - Ryan

Wingels, White, Neil, Dzingel

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman

Claesson, Jokipakka, Harpur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

What I'd Do:

Dzingel - Pageau - Ryan
Smith - White - Pyatt

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Wideman
Claesson - Ceci

What Boucher Will Do:

Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Stalberg - Kelly - Ryan

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman

Stalberg should be in no matter what. Kelly should not be i agree with that. Dont care much for Wingles either.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Assuming Meth's finger needs a bit more time to heal:

Game 1:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Burrows
Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Stalberg-Kelly-Wingels

Dzingel, White, Neil, Varone, (Ryan still hurt)

Claesson-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Harpur, Jokipakka, Englund (Meth hurt)

Guy will have some very tough decisions to make prior to the first game, and at the very least.....will have a ton of depth to work with, which is vital in a tough 7 game series.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I hope White gets into the lineup the next two games and plays his way on to the playoff roster. THAT would be a nice problem to have.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Burrows-Brassard-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Smith-Kelly-Stalberg

Dzingel, White, Neil, Wingels

My assumptions:
1. If Mac is up to speed and healthy, he stays in the top two lines.
2. White only comes in if injuries deem necessary.
3. Neil only draws back in if physicality becomes an issue.
4. Ryan and Pyatt can be interchangeable from 2nd to 3rd line depending on match ups. So odd, but they've had a lot of success with that.
5. Dzingle sits unless a speedy player gets injured (Stalberg, etc)
6. Vets over young guns (Boucher mentality) and Kelly/Burrows are in because they are proven play off performers.

Defence pairs
Karlsson/Methot
Phaneuf/Ceci
Boro/Wideman

Claesson and Harpur stay ready because there will be injuries.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Burrows-Brassard-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Smith-Kelly-Stalberg

Dzingel, White, Neil, Wingels

My assumptions:
1. If Mac is up to speed and healthy, he stays in the top two lines.
2. White only comes in if injuries deem necessary.
3. Neil only draws back in if physicality becomes an issue.
4. Ryan and Pyatt can be interchangeable from 2nd to 3rd line depending on match ups. So odd, but they've had a lot of success with that.
5. Dzingle sits unless a speedy player gets injured (Stalberg, etc)
6. Vets over young guns (Boucher mentality) and Kelly/Burrows are in because they are proven play off performers.

Defence pairs
Karlsson/Methot
Phaneuf/Ceci
Boro/Wideman

Claesson and Harpur stay ready because there will be injuries.

Agreed with pretty much everything here. People around here are all putting White on their starting line ups, they're in a for a disappointment. He has a grand total of 1 game of NHL experience. He is not drawing in over the likes of Kelly, Burrows, or even Neil for the playoffs. He will be a spare and be ready to go, but unless the injury bug strikes again, I don't expect to see much of him. Maybe he'll get a game or something. Kind of like Stone in the 2012 playoffs. White will be a great player no doubt, but he has shown nothing at this point that would justify him drawing in over seasoned Stanley Cup winning/playoff savy veterans. This is not NHL 17.

Boro will also 100% be in the starting line-up, much to the dismay of this board, which is awesome. :laugh: He will be great in a 7 game series, especially if we face BOS/TOR. 100% of NHL coaches would love to have a guy like Boro going into the playoffs. I also think Neil will draw in at some point. Per Boucher the other day, Neil is off the IR and is available. He has a boatload of playoff experience and he always steps it up in the post season. I could see him drawing in for Wingels.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

What I'd Do:

Dzingel - Pageau - Ryan
Smith - White - Pyatt

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Wideman
Claesson - Ceci

What Boucher Will Do:

Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Stalberg - Kelly - Ryan

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman

I don't like Wideman in the top 4. He looks good in the role he's in, but that asks him to play 13-14 mins per game, with by far the least starts in the defensive zone, usually playing against the lesser players on the other team if Boucher gets his way. I'd be fine playing him an extra minute or two, but to ask him to play 22-23 minutes is a recipe for disaster. When he play 25 minutes against WPG, I thought that was a good illustration of why he shouldn't be playing that many minutes.

I like your forward lineup, Kelly is the weak link and needs to come out but it doesn't seem like Boucher's willing to make that move. I'd be okay with Stalberg being in for Dzingel, they both have a lot of speed but Stalberg is more reliable in his own zone and Dzingel's offense has dried up.
I'm hoping to see some of White in these last two games, show that he belongs in the lineup come playoff time, but again, it doesn't seem like a move Boucher will make.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Agreed with pretty much everything here. People around here are all putting White on their starting line ups, they're in a for a disappointment. He has a grand total of 1 game of NHL experience. He is not drawing in over the likes of Kelly, Burrows, or even Neil for the playoffs. He will be a spare and be ready to go, but unless the injury bug strikes again, I don't expect to see much of him. Maybe he'll get a game or something. Kind of like Stone in the 2012 playoffs. White will be a great player no doubt, but he has shown nothing at this point that would justify him drawing in over seasoned Stanley Cup winning/playoff savy veterans. This is not NHL 17.

Boro will also 100% be in the starting line-up, much to the dismay of this board, which is awesome. :laugh: He will be great in a 7 game series, especially if we face BOS/TOR. 100% of NHL coaches would love to have a guy like Boro going into the playoffs. I also think Neil will draw in at some point. Per Boucher the other day, Neil is off the IR and is available. He has a boatload of playoff experience and he always steps it up in the post season. I could see him drawing in for Wingels.

Also agree with pretty much all of this. The only way the lioneup changes that much is if we are down with nothing to lose.

If its a tight series, there won't be much change.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The only way Kelly misses a playoff game is if he gets injured.

That Cup ring is too shiny for Boucher to ignore.

Or something.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Smith - Brassard - Ryan
Stalberg - Pageau - Pyatt
MacArthur - Kelly - Burrows

Dzingel - White - Wingels

Neil

D pairings are pretty obvious. So is goaltending. It's the forward lines where Boucher's going to have some decisions to make if everyone gets healthy.

I feel like MacArthur and Burrows are def top 6 if they are on their games (healthy for Mac). I mean I would take Burrows or Clarke 364 days out of 365 over Mr. Fumbles, aka Mr. Bobby Ryan.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher said he wanted a Left Shot 4th line Center, I wonder if he slots Zach Smith into that spot and uses him on the PP to get his minutes up.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Burrow Brassard Stone and Turris will be in every playoff game unless they get injured

their clutchness is proven

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Everyone will be disappointed when Kelly is in, Dzingel and white are out, and Boro is in. Although at this point Harpur is really pushing. Wideman has been meh while Freddy has been good.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
One thing I love about this team is that we have so many beautiful replacements if someone were to get injured. Hope for no injuries (fingers crossed) but I wouldn't mind seeing Colin White pull a Pageau against his childhood team (boston) and score a hat trick.

I'm lovin it.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
One thing I love about this team is that we have so many beautiful replacements if someone were to get injured. Hope for no injuries (fingers crossed) but I wouldn't mind seeing Colin White pull a Pageau against his childhood team (boston) and score a hat trick.

I'm lovin it.

That would be amazing!! We are very deep right now, if we can get healthy we will be dangerous.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What I'd do:

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Brassard-Stone
Mac-Pageau-White
Stalberg-Pyatt-Burrows

Meth-Karl
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa

Yup, Dzingel has followed a pretty classic rookie arc with a very good first half tailing off a ton later in the season. The grind of a full travel NHL speed and physicality takes its price. He becomes a spare part in the playoff, not point in expecting more at this point in his career. If in it will be for targeted limited minutes. He has been ok but not putting up points.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Boucher said he wanted a Left Shot 4th line Center, I wonder if he slots Zach Smith into that spot and uses him on the PP to get his minutes up.

Something to that now that MacArthur is an option

Build around Turris, Pageau, Smith, Brassard

Hoffman - Pageau - Stalberg
Pyatt - Smith - Wingels/Kelly
Burrows - Brassard - Ryan

in some order

hobbsie93

Feb 29, 2016
Somewhere on Earth
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Burrows-Pageau-Pyatt
Smith-Kelly-Stalberg

Dzingel, White, Wingels, Neil

Claesson Karlsson
Phaneuf Ceci
Boro Wideman

Harpur, Jokipakka Methot (until he comes back)

Notes:
White has a total of 1 NHL game, there's no way he draws in over vets such as Kelly.
MacArthur stays in the top 6 provided he's healthy and up to speed.
Dzingel sits unless a speedy guy gets injured.
Neil doesn't play unless we need more physicality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->