Playoff Watch 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If the switch refers not to changing end of year momentum, but jumping from middling through the year to good in the playoffs, then the 2012 Kings absolutely qualify.

The 2012 Kings were not good all year. They fired their coach mid-season and finished 8th despite playing in a laughingstock Pacific division. They won a total of 40 games, didn't see much improvement after the new coach took over and all of this was with Quick being a top 5 NHL goalie all year (.929 through 68 starts for the season). They went 5-2-3 down the stretch, which isn't all that special. I mentioned earlier that I have been listening to old MvsW episodes lately. I'm in March of 2012 and any tie they have made playoff predictions they both were writing the Kings off.

And then the Kings demolished the league in the playoffs, losing just 2 games over 3 series vs the West on the way to the Cup Final. They were a drastically different team than they were in the regular season. Quick was great in the playoffs, but he was also great in the regular season. The difference is that they went from scoring 2.29 goals a game in the regular season to 2.85 goals a night in the playoffs.

I think you and I have pretty similar attitudes about this current Blues team. I will be (extremely pleasantly) surprised if we win 3 or even 4 rounds, but I don't think that it would be an unprecedented "flipped switch" if it were to happen. We had stretches of solid play to start and end the year. 10-5-2 in our first 17 and 8-3-3 in our last 14 are both good stretches that show sustained periods of resembling a good team. That's 60% of the season played so far.
The Blues haven’t shown the underlying numbers to really predict they could function like they did in 2019 playoffs. But there just aren’t that many rules about post-season outcomes that don’t have exceptions. That’s why they play the games.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
If the switch refers not to changing end of year momentum, but jumping from middling through the year to good in the playoffs, then the 2012 Kings absolutely qualify.

The 2012 Kings were not good all year. They fired their coach mid-season and finished 8th despite playing in a laughingstock Pacific division. They won a total of 40 games, didn't see much improvement after the new coach took over and all of this was with Quick being a top 5 NHL goalie all year (.929 through 68 starts for the season). They went 5-2-3 down the stretch, which isn't all that special. I mentioned earlier that I have been listening to old MvsW episodes lately. I'm in March of 2012 and any tie they have made playoff predictions they both were writing the Kings off.

And then the Kings demolished the league in the playoffs, losing just 2 games over 3 series vs the West on the way to the Cup Final. They were a drastically different team than they were in the regular season. Quick was great in the playoffs, but he was also great in the regular season. The difference is that they went from scoring 2.29 goals a game in the regular season to 2.85 goals a night in the playoffs.

I think you and I have pretty similar attitudes about this current Blues team. I will be (extremely pleasantly) surprised if we win 3 or even 4 rounds, but I don't think that it would be an unprecedented "flipped switch" if it were to happen. We had stretches of solid play to start and end the year. 10-5-2 in our first 17 and 8-3-3 in our last 14 are both good stretches that show sustained periods of resembling a good team. That's 60% of the season played so far.

This is such an abysmal description of that Kings team that it has to be refuted. You are looking at record without deep diving into what every analytical person was saying that entire year: The Kings were a sleeping giant who just had an incredibly unlucky season. They not only outshot there opponents by 150 shots on the season, they did so while finishing 11th in shots for and 5th in shots against. The only reason they were not one of the top teams in the West is they put up a putrid 7.5 shooting percentage, dead last in the league. Everyone that paid attention knew if that shooting percentage even got up to league average they would be one of the best teams in hockey. There shooting percentage in the playoffs was 9.3, which wouldn’t have been too 10 in the NHL in the regular season but was more then enough.

By comparison, this Blues team has been outshot by 35 this year, but our shooting percentage being up at 10% has actually bailed us out and kept us alive. We aren’t close to the type of team that Kings roster was, at basically any element of hockey.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It's OK, Novacain. This Blues team will just "flip the switch" when games become important again. I hear it's really easy to do, and there's no proof at all of teams - especially really good, even recent Cup-winning teams - in the past also trying to float into the postseason and then "flip the switch" and being unable to do so.

We won in 2019 on a run for the ages; doing it this year will be like taking candy from a baby.

This seems like a prime spot to check out.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
It's OK, Novacain. This Blues team will just "flip the switch" when games become important again. I hear it's really easy to do, and there's no proof at all of teams - especially really good, even recent Cup-winning teams - in the past also trying to float into the postseason and then "flip the switch" and being unable to do so.

We won in 2019 on a run for the ages; doing it this year will be like taking candy from a baby.

Thought we were trading you? What happened?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I just want to clarify what I stated earlier about "turning it on" in the playoffs. I was referring to effort moreso than success itself. The success of our system predominately depends on effort (forechecking, hitting, and backchecking). And yes, I did reference those caring about regular season success, but there's no denying the fluctuating effort that our players are putting in throughout the season. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing but rather indicative of the player's confidence and ability to pace themselves. Contrast this team with the Hitch-Backes team that had little talent upfront outside of Tarasenko, and you'll see them sprinting throughout the regular season and ultimately getting bounced in the first or second round or getting burned out by the third round.

I don't know how far this team will go. It will largely hinge on Tarasenko, Parayko, Krug, Schwartz, and Schenn getting back into their regular form. None of those players are playing anywhere close to their potential right now, and given the lack of effort at times, it's hard to tell where the problem stems from. I'm not getting my hopes up seeing how teams that do go far require a lot of stars to line up properly, and we just haven't had that consistently throughout this season. However, I do think the effort level rises markedly once the puck drops in round 1. What that effort translates to remains to be seen.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

The 2019 team also didn’t deal without playing arguably two of their top wingers, 1D, Thomas, and Bozak for significant stretches of the season. Also, that 2019 team was very, very fortunate with regards to in

Sorry for the optimism if I think this team can perform well if healthy for more than a handful of games.

Am I expecting a SCF run? No. But at the same time I don’t understand the doom and gloom sentiment.

The Blackhawks dropped 4 straight before the 2015 POs. I think they turned out OK. Kings lost 4 of 5 before the POs in 2014.

Regular season success, more so in the NHL than any other major 4 sports league, doesn’t indicate much.

Also, making the POs in 2009 was way more crazy/unexpected than 2019.

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
No problem! If it weren’t a back to back, I think Husso would get both.
I don't know. It's always worried me thinking about players, especially goalies, sitting the last couple games before the playoffs. If I were Berube, I'd play Husso tonight and then have Binnington finish the regular season. There's just something off about having your starter sitting on the bench as the regular season ends. I get it, you want to rest them and avoid injury, but I'd rather limit my starter's games leading up to the last few games as opposed to right at the end. I'd want him to finish the year strong and get into a groove. It kinda sucks that the last two games are a back-to-back, though. I don't know what it's like being a goalie, but I'd feel a little weird starting game 1 of the playoffs after sitting my last game. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, some of you believe these last couple games are meaningless, and in terms of the standings they are, but in my mind they are still important games. I'd hate for our players to view these games like a lot of people around here are. That's just asking to start some bad habits. In my opinion, we should be playing these last two games like they are playoff games. By game 1 we'd be already in the swing of things. I'd hate to start game 1 less prepared than whoever we are playing, because it's going to be the Avs or the Knights and we can't afford a slow start against teams like those.

Just my two cents.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues slotted in as the 13th best team heading into the playoffs: Stanley Cup tiers: Anonymous exec, coach, scout and player rate every playoff team

Standings aside, the 13th best team would pick 20th...but barring a run to the Final-4, the Blues are picking 17th(?)...so...arbitrage? They've at least got that going for them, even if they're likely out in 5 at the hands of the West's top seed (whoever that shall be).

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
E1R1adoWUAAUMna

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Colorado wins and they get Presidents Trophy and face the Blues. Anything else and Vegas gets the same.

The schedule is imbalanced, so these rankings are flawed, but the top 2 teams in points in the league are in the West Division.

I have no idea what to expect out of Minnesota in the postseason.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Give me Colorado. They’re a good team but aside from the MacKinnon line, they aren’t that scary.

Vegas meanwhile is built more on depth and it seems like a new guy can kill you each game. Stone, Pacioretty, Tuch, Theodore, Smith, Marchessault, etc. They are also a lot more physical, where as Colorado is a softer team.

I think we lose to Vegas in 5 or 6.

I think we take Colorado to game 7 and potentially pull an upset.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Give me Colorado. They’re a good team but aside from the MacKinnon line, they aren’t that scary.

Vegas meanwhile is built more on depth and it seems like a new guy can kill you each game. Stone, Pacioretty, Tuch, Theodore, Smith, Marchessault, etc. They are also a lot more physical, where as Colorado is a softer team.

I think we lose to Vegas in 5 or 6.

I think we take Colorado to game 7 and potentially pull an upset.
agreed but i think colorado goes down before 7 games. it all depends on the type of officiating that occurs. that team gets suffocated without their help. i havent been impressed in a single game vs em this year. one trick pony team.

vegas beats us in 6. we dont match up with them well unless 91 is actually the 91 of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad