Playoff vs Top prospect

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think some people underestimate the development value of making the playoffs. As fans, there's big entertainment value for some of us. But I think making the playoffs also helps the team building process more than some credit. Building isn't just getting draft picks. It's also exposing the players, and particularly the younger ones, to winning, and to what it takes to win in the playoffs. It also raises how players perceive the organization, which can help in contract negotiations and FA signings, which can also help build the team. Making the playoffs, especially with a young team that ought to be considered on an upward trajectory, should always be the preferred outcome.

Amen.
A playoff run is so good for the players. Young and Old.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
How about this : do you want that Habs participated in playoffs last year, or you want to have Galchenyuk ?

As for me, I'd sacrifice one year, especially the short season, to have a player like Stamkos or Tavares that could give us a dozen good years.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How about this : do you want that Habs participated in playoffs last year, or you want to have Galchenyuk ?

As for me, I'd sacrifice one year, especially the short season, to have a player like Stamkos or Tavares that could give us a dozen good years.

The thing is... They might not turn out Tavares or Stamkos-like.

Those two players are elite in every aspect of their game. Their top 5 in the NHL...
Look at the 3 last 1st pick... This is the common first pick you get... First line player with alot of potential. You don't always get a Stamkos. And you rarely get a Tavares.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Why are you talking about this now? this team clearly isn't tanking, the season is nearly at the half way point and it would take an all out tank job to secure a top 3 pick at this point. It's time to let go, the Habs aren't getting Jones or Drouin.

Even if the results so far have been a fluke (IMO - we've had an easy schedule, but the underlying stats show that the Habs consistently outplay their opponents. This team probably won't be able to get past the Bruins in the playoffs, but it's not a bad team, sorry), the fact that so far 10 people want to go back to tanking after one loss is just sad.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Because some of us don't visualize well, I have to put a name.
Top prospect is less attractive than Drouin, MK or Seth Jone.
And when a player is linked to Habs, we will have more attachment to that player.

Year ago, when Habs were so bad, some people didn't want to tank. Now, with Galchenyuk, the tanking (maybe not intentional) is not a bad thing at all.

What if I twist a question a bit: if Habs make playoff, we won't have Galchenyuk. Do you want Habs make it or not ?

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
The question is moot cause as someone pointed out, if we miss the playoffs by a couple of pts, our chances of picking top 3 are what 1 or 2 % ? Not worth it

If you could guarantee me that we'd draft Drouin or Jones, then I'd think about it. But that would mean losing basically every game til april so emphatically NO ! Let's make a run as best we can

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Because some of us don't visualize well, I have to put a name.
Top prospect is less attractive than Drouin, MK or Seth Jone.
And when a player is linked to Habs, we will have more attachment to that player.

Year ago, when Habs were so bad, some people didn't want to tank. Now, with Galchenyuk, the tanking (maybe not intentional) is not a bad thing at all.

What if I twist a question a bit: if Habs make playoff, we won't have Galchenyuk. Do you want Habs make it or not ?

The problem is it doesn't work like that. Teams rarely intentionally tank, they are usually just bad. If the Habs tanked last year, it was decided when the season was already a lost cause; before that they were just mismanaged. We got rewarded for it, but there's a reason it cost Gauthier his job.

We could play this game every year. The fact is we could trade all our vets like the tank brigade wants and still miss out on the top 5. This poll is a loaded question - "make the playoffs or Drouin!" What if you changed it to "Win the Stanley Cup or Monahan!" Not as sexy that way, no? And we probably won't win the Stanley Cup, but at this point we probably won't be getting Jones or Drouin either. We'd have to lose every game from this point out, and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed.

Seriously, why now? I understand this loser mentality before the season started, I thought the Habs would be a bad team. But you really think one of the richest professional sports teams in North America should throw away season after season in hopes to someday emulate the Oilers?

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
What is the point of playing the games if all you want to do is lose and collect prospects?

A-MEN.

I can get this "playoffs or tank?" argument if you're a middling playoff bubble team with a record very slightly above .500.

But when your team has one of the top records in the entire league - ENJOY IT. Seriously.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
No one's suggesting the team to "purposely" tank to draft top 3.. it can happen out of our control.. (like last year).

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Yea I bet L.A wishes they didn't just make the playoffs last year so they could've gotten a better draft pick. :handclap:

2009 NHL Entry 1 5 Brayden Schenn Brandon (WHL)
2008 NHL Entry 1 2 Drew Doughty Guelph (OHL)
2007 NHL Entry 1 4 Thomas Hickey Seattle (WHL)

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
To get a lottery pick this team would have to suffer a terrible collapse. It would be even more painful than the last year for players and fans alike. From first in the East to the very bottom, no thank you. Especially considering the way they have been playing this year. I don`t want to watch the chaos which will surely ensue if the Habs fall that low.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
And yet everyone is drooling over Galchenyuk and being 1st in East. If we made the playoff last year, we won't have Galchenyuk to drool over and everyone would be complaining instead of drooling coz we *might* not even be 1st in East..

For sure, the best is to go the Boston way :) Stanley Cup + 2nd and 8th pick :)

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
if i actually had a choice, i would obviously pick top prospect over a PO run, which might be looking good now, but i doubt habs can contend for cup.

But considering our current spot in the conference, go PO's, because unless we tank hard, there is no way we get into top 3 pick this year.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Cammy would get traded for talking about how much of a loser mentality this thread represents.

Playoffs or BUST. In the position we are now, 100% playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad