Playoff vs Top prospect

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Playoff. We already got one top prospect who might even be better then them down the road.

The goal of a team should always be playoff. WTF is this loser mentality.

Last year really has grown into you guys

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I want everything.

Unless we fall off a cliff and are a few points out of a playoff race come trade deadline, we're focusing on playoffs.

Jmac1160*

Playoff. We already got one top prospect who might even be better then them down the road.

The goal of a team should always be playoff. WTF is this loser mentality.

Last year really has grown into you guys

This

We are one of the top teams right now yet there are STILL threads like this. **** off

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
As I have said since last year, we do not need to tank. We are one of the best teams in the league when healthy. We have desperately needed Markov back, and now that we have him I am all for a run at the Cup. We should see who might be available at the trade deadline to help put us over the top (try and get Clowe from San Jose) for a Cup run, and then let Timmins work his draft day magic. We have four picks in the first two rounds. Timmins will find us some gold.

We actually have the pieces to make a good, solid Cup run, guys. Let's think about winning #25 rather than tanking and hoping to win it in 3-5 years from now. Seriously, get a Ryan Clowe type of forward and a crease clearing defenceman who can hit and protect Price, and we will be in the Finals.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Even as sellers, the odds of drafting another Chucky this season are close to zero...

1) The 3rd worst team last season had a historically high amount of points. I had made the calculation last year. If my memory serves me right, some seasons, with the same record as last season, we can draft close to 10.
2) We lost an incredible amount of Shootout games.
3) We had ridiculous injuries.
4) We had bad coaching.
5) Chucky doesn't fall to 3 if he isn't injured last season.

All the stars were aligned...

Edit: With 78 points, 2011-12 is the only season we would draft as high as 3rd (if our lottery pick stays same) since the Shootout was implemented... In 2006-07 we would have drafted 9th.

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Unless half the team gets injured we won't be finishing in the bottom 3 so why even talk about it?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
while the goal should always be to make the playoffs, i prefer a top prospect this year. last place finish last year, expiring contracts and whatnot, seems like the best time to do it.

that said, no way were missing the playoffs :)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Let's talk near the trade deadline. The team is off to an amazing start, but it has also been involved in lengthy collapses over the years.

Too much parity, too many things to happen over the next 15-20 games to make a call.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Threads like this should not exist on a team's board when said team is at the top of the Conference near the half-way point of the season.

Seriously, it's just incredibly sad to see threads like this even exist here at this point.

Some people here are so insanely focused on upcoming picks and prospects that they can't even enjoy the here and now when the here and now involves a top team in the Conference!

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
We don't automatically get MacKinnon, Drouin or Seth Jones if we miss the playoffs.

Picking top3 requires an abnormal amount of suckage that we just don't have this year. We did it last year but it doesn't mean it was easy.

I'd rather make the playoffs than pick 8 to 14 overall. Big time. Timmins is good enough to find us a good player in the later part of the first round. We might have the chance to select a great prospect even then that might turn out better than one of the top 3 even, stranger things have happened.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
We`re first in the east...c'mon.

We got 4 picks in the top 60, thats already pretty awesome, and with Timmins & cie at work, we'll find a couple of top/good prospects.

Im happy happy happy we got Galchenyuk, and had a quick turnaround. It only proves that we werent a last place team but that management was the problem.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
The statistical likelihood of us missing the playoffs are decreasing steadily.

So it doesn't matter what we want, we will most likely make the playoffs.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
First place in the Eastern Conference...talk of picking top 3.

23519565.jpg

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
6-0-2 in their last eight games.
Eight out of a possible ten points during that stretch.
First place in the East, TIED for 2nd in the NHL.

I think it's safe to say playoffs.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd prefer a top-prospect over simply "making the playoffs'. But the team right now looks like they can make a run for the cup, and I'd choose that over either.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think some people underestimate the development value of making the playoffs. As fans, there's big entertainment value for some of us. But I think making the playoffs also helps the team building process more than some credit. Building isn't just getting draft picks. It's also exposing the players, and particularly the younger ones, to winning, and to what it takes to win in the playoffs. It also raises how players perceive the organization, which can help in contract negotiations and FA signings, which can also help build the team. Making the playoffs, especially with a young team that ought to be considered on an upward trajectory, should always be the preferred outcome.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
If I can pick make the playoff this year, or draft top 3 next year (let's say you get what you wish for), I'd take top 3 next year. Because it'll be a longer lasting satisfaction then making the playoff this year. Look at last year, we missed the playoff and we forgot about its pain already. And look at how we're enjoying Chucky this year, and the MANY more to come.

So since this is a short year, I'd think long term this time. However, after this year, I want playoff every season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad