News Article: Playoff Spot

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hard to get excited about this with all the injuries and the division all but won, but yes after watching the team in the mid 2000s you really learn not to take going to the playoffs for granted.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yep. Devils lose and we are in. washinton loses in regulation and we are assured that if we win the division, we will get no less than the 2nd seed.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
We have already clinched, just not by the way the NHL tracks it.

It is impossible for us to not be in the playoffs at this point.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The #1/#2 seed is all we should be concern about. Going into the playoffs with a lot of cold players from injuries won't bode well against a top seeded team if by chance they happen to drop to #4 or less. *Harder Competition*

I'm tired of our top players always, always being the ones out.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
We have already clinched, just not by the way the NHL tracks it.

It is impossible for us to not be in the playoffs at this point.

One scenerio left that would end with us out of the playoffs... we lose out with no loser points, the devils win out beating the rangers twice in OT. the rangers win everything except those games. The rangers beat the Isles in OT. the Isles win the rest of their games.

The pens would have 58 pts, the devils 59,the isles 59, and the rags 60... now thats pretty much as improbable as it gets, but still....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The #1/#2 seed is all we should be concern about. Going into the playoffs with a lot of cold players from injuries won't bode well against a top seeded team if by chance they happen to drop to #4 or less. *Harder Competition*

I'm tired of our top players always, always being the ones out.

It really is ridiculous, isn't it? We don't limp into the playoffs with guys like TK or Adams or Engelland on the IR. Nope, it's always gotta be some combination of Crosby, Malkin, Letang or any number of our top six forwards/top four defense.

Just one season and playoffs, I'd love to see what this team could do if every single one of our stars remained healthy from Game 1 of the regular season until the Stanley Cup finals ends.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We clinch!!
Now in order to get the division, we need to win our next game and rags need to lose.

SarahCrash

Dec 17, 2005
St. Albert, AB
the Leafs side of you is excited about the fact of making the playoffs. However, realistically, the Penguins have been playoff bound since the first week of February and were never outside of the top 8 in the East in that time.

But, I am glad that you are celebrating a day that the Pens aren't playing. For, me, I am happy that they are resting... they have some serious long term injury issues that will last through the first round.
I'm not excited about this at all!

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Congratulations, now on to the division and the #1 seed :handclap:
I saw somewhere that it would only take one loss by one team for us to have the division and the #2 seed at worst. Was it the Rangers? Or was it a combo of one win for us & one loss for the Rangers or something?

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
After years and years of watching them piss away the division title in the final few weeks.. it'll be nice to see them lock it up early. Gotta change up the game this post-season. Going in as a 4-5 hasn't been ideal lately.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I saw somewhere that it would only take one loss by one team for us to have the division and the #2 seed at worst. Was it the Rangers? Or was it a combo of one win for us & one loss for the Rangers or something?

Yes, one regulation/over time win for us is enough to keep Islanders (and Capitals) behind us. And if Rangers lose one game, it'll be enough to keep them behind us too.

So basically a #1 or #2 seed is one win away.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
528419_10151340639620919_567373224_n.png

We're in! :vhappy:

"The Pittsburgh Penguins have clinched a spot in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs."

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Is anyone shocked we made the playoffs at this point? I want that Home Ice throughout the EC playoffs. That's when I'll do a little jiggity dance. But only momentarily as I refuse to celebrate too much over regular season accomplishments.

thoo-mclovin.jpg

Fans seem to be making some more noise this year so may be more of an advantage than in past years at the CEC.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm shocked at how early they clinched. Most years it seems like no matter how good the team is they never really seem to clinch until there are only a couple of games left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad