Series Talk: Playoff Qualifier Series: Minnesota Wild vs Vancouver Canucks (VAN wins 3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm not misunderstanding those rules. I'm pointing out that act of singing was more symbolic than anything else since they weren't prevented from entering in the first place.

Symbolic document creation and singing is a common thing in government.

MLS players returned to team locations weeks ago.

MLS players return to training ground for voluntary individual workouts

They resume training already this week.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed Tuesday that the NHL will stage a 24-team playoff split by conference between two hub cities, with timelines and locations to be finalized at a later date.
The top four seeds in each conference will get byes, while seeds 5-12 will battle in best-of-five series to determine who advances. The NHL and NHLPA have yet to decide whether teams will be reseeded or if the postseason will use a bracket format.
The matchups are based on points percentage in conference standings through games played until March 12. Teams with byes will all play each other once under regular-season rules to determine their seeding in the next round.
Here's a look at how it breaks down.
Eastern Conference

Byes: (No. 1) Boston Bruins, (No. 2) Tampa Bay Lightning, (No. 3) Washington Capitals, (No. 4) Philadelphia Flyers
Western Conference

Byes: (No. 1) St. Louis Blues, (No. 2) Colorado Avalanche, (No. 3) Vegas Golden Knights, (No. 4) Dallas Stars

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed Tuesday that the NHL will stage a 24-team playoff split by conference between two hub cities, with timelines and locations to be finalized at a later date.
The top four seeds in each conference will get byes, while seeds 5-12 will battle in best-of-five series to determine who advances. The NHL and NHLPA have yet to decide whether teams will be reseeded or if the postseason will use a bracket format.
The matchups are based on points percentage in conference standings through games played until March 12. Teams with byes will all play each other once under regular-season rules to determine their seeding in the next round.
Here's a look at how it breaks down.
Eastern Conference

Byes: (No. 1) Boston Bruins, (No. 2) Tampa Bay Lightning, (No. 3) Washington Capitals, (No. 4) Philadelphia Flyers
Western Conference

Byes: (No. 1) St. Louis Blues, (No. 2) Colorado Avalanche, (No. 3) Vegas Golden Knights, (No. 4) Dallas Stars
Another step taken, still a ways to go before they know when and where games will be played.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I can see us winning this one. Unfortunately, that is not a good thing because we just aren't that good, and have zero chance to go far in the playoffs, unless both of the KK's play for us and kill it.

The nightmare scenario would be for us to win against VAN, and PIT to lose against MTL. That would push our pick back into the familiar territory of the late teens, and push our other first to the 2021 draft. We'd go from having the #11oa and #25oa to the #18oa, or something like that.

Spot on with how the draft order was determined. :thumbu:

Reactions: thestonedkoala

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Here's a theory for you. Since we all know that the NHL froze all rosters because of Covid and have said that they have no plans on unfreezing them, does that mean that Markstrom has to stay on LTIR for Vancouver? Seems only fair if the Wild can't sign their prospect then the Nucks shouldn't get to make roster moves either.

Reactions: fgobuzz and AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Here's a theory for you. Since we all know that the NHL froze all rosters because of Covid and have said that they have no plans on unfreezing them, does that mean that Markstrom has to stay on LTIR for Vancouver? Seems only fair if the Wild can't sign their prospect then the Nucks shouldn't get to make roster moves either.

You already know that's not going to happen. I have no idea why the league has a rod up their ass in regards to drafted, unsigned players, but it's stupid.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Seems only fair if the Wild can't sign their prospect then the Nucks shouldn't get to make roster moves either.

Actually reading more into it, the NHL is fine with Minnesota signing Kaprizov. Their only issue is the TBD date on when the contract begins. So, once they solidify the start date, Wild can sign a prospect, but he can't play.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Actually reading more into it, the NHL is fine with Minnesota signing Kaprizov. Their only issue is the TBD date on when the contract begins. So, once they solidify the start date, Wild can sign a prospect, but he can't play.

Do you really think the issue is the semantics of “signing” a guy, or do you maybe think it’s the bolded part?

Think about it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Do you really think the issue is the semantics of “signing” a guy, or do you maybe think it’s the bolded part?

Think about it.

It could go either way; the Canadiens signed Romanov. We'll see if he plays or not, but at least he has a contract and argument can be made for him to play. Furthermore, it legitimately could be us signing Kaprizov (which the NHL won't allow any teams to do) and risk having him go back to Russia.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So the teams on a bye have to face their first opponent that just played two weeks of competitive play?

The top four teams in each conference play each other to determine seeding

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The nightmare scenario would be for us to win against VAN, and PIT to lose against MTL. That would push our pick back into the familiar territory of the late teens, and push our other first to the 2021 draft. We'd go from having the #11oa and #25oa to the #18oa, or something like that.

Good call! Anyone who has been following the NHL could see them doing exactly this.

Reactions: Spurgeon

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It could go either way; the Canadiens signed Romanov. We'll see if he plays or not, but at least he has a contract and argument can be made for him to play. Furthermore, it legitimately could be us signing Kaprizov (which the NHL won't allow any teams to do) and risk having him go back to Russia.

The issue has always been the fact that in any other year, Kaprizov would be allowed to play for us after we signed him, which would be May 1st. However, this year, they have inexplicably decided to pause that rule. They have yet to provide a good reason or justification.

Kaprizov is not going back to the KHL. He’s not going to delay his NHL career by 15 months just so he can avoid delaying his NHL career by 3 months.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The issue has always been the fact that in any other year, Kaprizov would be allowed to play for us after we signed him, which would be May 1st. However, this year, they have inexplicably decided to pause that rule. They have yet to provide a good reason or justification.

Reading more into it; I think the issue is the TBD on the contract. That is what it comes down to with the Romanov contract (that and Montreal not filing). Daly mentioned current year contracts are not permitted and my guess is the length is different than other standard contracts (some variance due to playing time) and they may need to talk to the NHLPA in length about the handful going through.

Kaprizov is not going back to the KHL. He’s not going to delay his NHL career by 15 months just so he can avoid delaying his NHL career by 3 months.

If the NHL doesn't come back until December or January, it'll be almost a year since he last skated and played (9-10 months). It isn't necessarily a delay but (a) pay and (b) certainty.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Reading more into it; I think the issue is the TBD on the contract. That is what it comes down to with the Romanov contract (that and Montreal not filing). Daly mentioned current year contracts are not permitted and my guess is the length is different than other standard contracts (some variance due to playing time) and they may need to talk to the NHLPA in length about the handful going through.

If the NHL doesn't come back until December or January, it'll be almost a year since he last skated and played (9-10 months). It isn't necessarily a delay but (a) pay and (b) certainty.
All of your guesses are wrong. 1st of all, there's no "TBD" on a contract ever. A player contract could never be a contract without the years specified. 2nd they would all be signing ELC's that are very cut and dried contracts. There's no possible issue with length and I have no idea what you could be talking about when you say "variance due to playing time" but I'm fairly certain it makes zero sense when it comes to an NHL contract.

The issue is simple. The NHL has decided that they're not going to honor any contracts for the remainder of the 2019-2020 season. It doesn't matter if Kaprizov or Romanov have signed or haven't signed their actual deals because the NHL has zero plans to file them.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I've met Leipold a handful of times at Chicago Wolves games and for as much of a passionate owner as he is - he's really let the NHL pet his belly on this one.

I'd be causing such a shit storm over this singular issue. Haven't heard a f***in' peep out of that guys mouth this entire time.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I've met Leipold a handful of times at Chicago Wolves games and for as much of a passionate owner as he is - he's really let the NHL pet his belly on this one.

I'd be causing such a shit storm over this singular issue. Haven't heard a f***in' peep out of that guys mouth this entire time.

Has he ever come out and issued a public statement on anything even remotely close to this? As far as I remember he’s only spoken to the media when hiring or firing coaches, GM, or signing players.

I wouldn’t expect him to come out swinging against the NHL because they won’t let us play Kaprizov. It’s his job to be cordial with the league. Maybe he’s raised a fuss behind closed doors, but that’s all you can expect.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The teams with a bye play each other in order to determine the seeding 1 - 4, which would determine the relative strength of their opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs(as opposed to the "play in" round). I would presume that this will be done concurrently with the other series, in order to keep them somewhat sharp.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Their top 6 is lethal. Besides Hughes, their D is pretty meh though.
Elder never seems to get any respect. 40-45 point D with little PP time. Our top 4 is ok but Stech and Benn suck arss.
However, the only 2 teams I wanted to avoid in a short series is Dallas, the Wild and the Jets.
Not sure why but we seem to play our worst against you guys.

Best of luck and hope it goes 5.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On the one hand, our older players should be rested and feeling good. OTOH, we were awful at the beginning of the season, so maybe the old legs take longer to get into game shape?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
A respectful member of the wild fanbase came to our boards and gave a breakdown on the wild season.

I would like to do the same, just so you guys get a bit of a feel on our team.

Canucks

Lets first talk about the main reason the Canucks are even in an opportunity like this (Even with normal playoff setup).
Jacob Markstrom has been absolutely stupid for the canucks in the past couple years.
Don't let the stats fool you, he has stolen more games for Vancouver in the last two years than any goalie in the league.
When markstrom got hurt, the canucks absolutely collapsed, they are a completely different team without him, he is absolutely one of the best goalies in the league, and a potential Vezina goalie in the near future.

For offense: The canucks have JT miller, petey and newly aquired Toffoli who has fit like a glove alongside both lines.
Petey is extremely creative, highly skilled offensive two way center, while Miller for some reason has been the perfect fit for him, and a perminant stable moving forward.
The 2nd line is a more defensive reliable line, still has firepower, but boeser has not looked quite right all year, wild could absolutely do damage here.

Ferland has been hurt all year, but apparently is 100% healthy, should be a nice boost.
Gaudette is a solid young player, but gets babysat in matchups the most on the canucks.
Virtanen is having a resurgence, coming off back to back impressive seasons.

The fourth line is your typical fourth line, they hit, mostly defensive reliable, nothing crazy to talk about here.

As for the Defense.

Quinn Hughes / Tanev - What needs to be said about Quinn Hughes? top 5 young defender in the game, absolutely dynamic with his skating, completely changed the entire makeup of the canucks back end, he is a special talent.

Tanev is having the best year of his career at his old ass age, and the first healthy season, maybe ever?

Edler / Stecher - Edler is having a pretty standard season, stecher has been fine, but nothing to write about.

Fantenberg / Myers - Myers has been a pretty bad all year, some good games but mostly disapointing.
Fantenberg has been a nice surprise.

Overall: I think the wild has a vastly superior defense over the Canucks, I don't think it's mostly close honestly. The wild could vary easily shut down the canucks top stars, with guys like brodin and suter. Not to mention, Dumba is one of my favorite D-men in the league, future stud.

That being said, Quinn Hughes is a complete game changer, game breaker, he is the key here.

Goaltending is a huge edge for Vancouver, Markstrom has found a completely different level.

Offense - Canucks Edge for sure, but the wild have some really talented forwards who are very reliable.
Fiala especially is coming into his own, a fantastic talent, could be a major factor in the wild beating the Canucks.

What does it come down too?
Honestly, if the wild shut down the Canucks offense with the amazing defense, and dubnyk plays good enough, wild could win.

I still feel the game will go all 5 games.

Thanks for having me.
cheers:cheers:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Forgot about Toffoli..seems like an eternity ago. Nice addition.

Will be an interesting contrast of styles if it comes to pass.

Biggest question to me is which guys have been most consistent with home workouts, which have been playing Animal Crossing with their kids.

August should be fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->