Post-Game Talk: Playoff Push 2019: Oilers 3, Coyotes 1

Oct 15, 2008
It's crazy how much better the in-game experience is in Phoenix than at Rogers. And they actually play their music at an appropriate level that doesn't cause your ears to bleed.

Also, if the Yotes hadn't had such bad lottery luck they'd be a lock for the playoffs. They've got a really fun team to watch and definitely deserved a better result. Ended up buying their throwback alternate jersey. Hopefully they luck out and get Hughes because they've got very good young players.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Koskinen, and Khaira all looked great tonight. Can't say the same for the rest of the team.
They are a bottom feeder who has drafted poorly and made bad trades. Not unlike the Oilers. They also have piss poor management. The only thing they don’t have in common is the people in that town won’t waste their good money on a garbage team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Last season I suggested we give Kassian a serious look in a top 6 role due to his grit and skating.
I never mentioned it this season because it seemed he didn't care anymore.
Hitch gives it a try and holy cow did it look good.

Every great line needs the following:
Sandpaper, Sniper, Set-up

Isles line of Bossy-Trottier-Goring/Tonneli prime example

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I feel asleep in 2nd. I read the player grades in Edmonton Journal and they are saying Puju is playing better every game. Sound right?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure if it was mentioned but Snet last night sunk to a new level of inept. They go to commercial breaks when there isn't even a commercial timeout in the arena thus missing over a minute of play in the 2nd period. I haven't seen that done since ITV was doing the Oilers telecasts (the same broadcast outlet that had the foresight to tape over a catalog of legendary Oilers games in the 80's.)

Anyway they don't even mention it. They rotate two commercials before some dimbulb on the broadcast must have noticed the game was going on. So that they return right to ensuing live action.

In the previous game one of their cameras was faulty with choppy video. Would slow right down and then speed up.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I thought he was better than Benning, especially late in the 3rd when Benning couldn't clear the puck to save his life.

Benning is scary to watch when he has the puck in his own zone. I was glad he would pass it off to Manning because more often than not Manning would get it out of the zone rather than giving it back to Benning.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought Kass looked good on first line and said he would before the game. He adds the grunt work the line needs and we haven't had that since Maroon was here. Kass won't score many goals on that line like Chiasson but I feel he adds more, much more, in the corners and forecheck and is stronger on the puck. I liked that line soon as I saw it. Drai also benefits from playing with players that are strong on the puck.

Kass is a somewhat talented player and its easy to lose sight of that because he really is one of those players that sink below his capability. Play him with our bottomsix plugs and you very rarely see any offensive acumen. Put him in big situations and you see it. The guy thinks the game at a decent level, and its evident, when he's playing with talent. On the winning goal Kass actually read that Drai was saucering the puck to an open space. Most players wouldn't know what was on, on that play. Some would think it was just a dump in. Kass read the play and fed McD for the winner.

This not even mentioning that when Kass is engaged he is a solid 200ft player, when he checks out he isn't. Kass hasn't deserved this assignment on basis of play this season, but he should do well in it for awhile until we get numbers back from injury.

But what is most illustrative last night is how much more McDrai benefit from having a strong player to work with vs a Yamamoto who just doesn't sustain possession at this level. Our topline gets somebody to do grunt work last night and they score all 3 goals. A good night.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Every great line needs the following:
Sandpaper, Sniper, Set-up

Isles line of Bossy-Trottier-Goring/Tonneli prime example
I think you meant Clark Gillies. Goring was primarily a Center and Tonelli may have played a bit during the later years but it was always Gillies on the left side of that line.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I thought Kass looked good on first line and said he would before the game. He adds the grunt work the line needs and we haven't had that since Maroon was here. Kass won't score many goals on that line like Chiasson but I feel he adds more, much more, in the corners and forecheck and is stronger on the puck. I liked that line soon as I saw it. Drai also benefits from playing with players that are strong on the puck.

Kass is a somewhat talented player and its easy to lose sight of that because he really is one of those players that sink below his capability. Play him with our bottomsix plugs and you very rarely see any offensive acumen. Put him in big situations and you see it. The guy thinks the game at a decent level, and its evident, when he's playing with talent. On the winning goal Kass actually read that Drai was saucering the puck to an open space. Most players wouldn't know what was on, on that play. Some would think it was just a dump in. Kass read the play and fed McD for the winner.

This not even mentioning that when Kass is engaged he is a solid 200ft player, when he checks out he isn't. Kass hasn't deserved this assignment on basis of play this season, but he should do well in it for awhile until we get numbers back from injury.

But what is most illustrative last night is how much more McDrai benefit from having a strong player to work with vs a Yamamoto who just doesn't sustain possession at this level. Our topline gets somebody to do grunt work last night and they score all 3 goals. A good night.

I agree with your comment about Yamamoto being a terrible fit with McDrai. The winger that complements those two needs to be gritty and battle in the corners to get our superstars the puck. Drake made a comment a little while ago when he was moved to the top line (paraphrasing): I'm going to get dirty in the corners because Connor shouldn't have to.

I thought Kass was a great fit on the top line, but definitely looked a bit flabbergasted at some points. I don't think he's used to playing with all that skill on his line, so will take a few games to get into the groove. I agree with you - he's got the talent though! One last thought is that McDavid's shifts are just so long that his line-mates simply keep up the same level of energy as him. Kass looked gassed at the end of so many shifts - I don't think he's played that much in years. I think Drai struggles too at the tail-end of the shifts, which is why so many people suggest he looks "lazy"... by the way, I know you're a Drai fan, so I will throw in that Drai had a HELL of a game!

We don't have too many options for that winger position now that Drake is gone. Rattie is the only other good option I think.

Dead weight in our line-up that needs to be replaced with literally anything: Reider, Spooner, Lucic. There's nothing there with any of them... I would rather see AHLers up here. Not sure what people see in #22.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
What exactly did Rattie do wrong in his 10 minutes of play?

I think Rattie is playing just fine... He's more deserving of being moved up the line-up relative to Reider, Spooner, or Lucic. Not sure what the stats say, but, as I mentioned above, he's the best fit for the top line if Kass can't sustain.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
I think Rattie is playing just fine... He's more deserving of being moved up the line-up relative to Reider, Spooner, or Lucic. Not sure what the stats say, but, as I mentioned above, he's the best fit for the top line if Kass can't sustain.
I agree. For whatever reason, Hitch doesn't seem to like Rattie but he's been better than Spooner and Lucic, and possibly Reider too as you stated.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I feel asleep in 2nd. I read the player grades in Edmonton Journal and they are saying Puju is playing better every game. Sound right?

Not really tbh

We all want him to succeed so bad that every little time he does something good we can reinforce that he's not a bust.

He made one nice pass that almost resulted in a goal and I assume that one play alone was reason enough to say he had a good game.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think you meant Clark Gillies. Goring was primarily a Center and Tonelli may have played a bit during the later years but it was always Gillies on the left side of that line.

Yes u are correct, I wrote that in a hurray but I think you get my point

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Not sure if it was mentioned but Snet last night sunk to a new level of inept. They go to commercial breaks when there isn't even a commercial timeout in the arena thus missing over a minute of play in the 2nd period. I haven't seen that done since ITV was doing the Oilers telecasts (the same broadcast outlet that had the foresight to tape over a catalog of legendary Oilers games in the 80's.)

Anyway they don't even mention it. They rotate two commercials before some dimbulb on the broadcast must have noticed the game was going on. So that they return right to ensuing live action.

In the previous game one of their cameras was faulty with choppy video. Would slow right down and then speed up.

Sportsnet is the epitome of amateur hour; it's baffling how bad they are from faulty cameras to actual coverage of the play

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
They are a bottom feeder who has drafted poorly and made bad trades. Not unlike the Oilers. They also have piss poor management. The only thing they don’t have in common is the people in that town won’t waste their good money on a garbage team.
They havent had the luxury of winning the draft lottery 4 times.

And Chayka has done a great job so far. All of the trades he's made have improved the team and they've got good depth up front, a solid top 4, and an elite goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad