Speculation: Playoff positioning

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
I was curious how the sharks did down the stretch of the Stanley Cup Finals year, and I noticed they lost three in a row at home in regulation, games 73-75 of the season.

Reactions: RoloTonyBrownTown

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I was curious how the sharks did down the stretch of the Stanley Cup Finals year, and I noticed they lost three in a row at home in regulation, games 73-75 of the season.

Yes, but Jones finished that season with a .918 SV% which that is likely impossible for him now with these few games left.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I think we can beat Beat Vegas. W Karlssons only got 40 points on the 1st line, the only ones to lock down are Stone and Alex Tuch(of course marchesualt). I think if Sharks stay healthy and everybody is prepared we'd be probably have a better time solidifying 2nd seed and preparing for them because our players are better top to bottom. I also think whoever takes the 4th WC could give the flames a good reckoning.

If they survive the 2nd round they'll probably be more knocked up than us since Vegas didn't seem as physical as previously thought.

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
Those look pretty cool but I can't see myself buying Sharks playoff gear till they finally win one. I don't know why.

Ya I wouldn't, kind of feels like clinging onto the smallest of victories. Like Preds raising that regular season western champions banner, ish

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
We now shift from "can they win the division?" To "can they keep home ice in the first round?"

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
The division race is over. Deboer has less than 3 weeks to figure out how to beat Vegas 4 out of 7 times. Imagine losing to Vegas in 6 last year then adding Erik freaking Karlsson and losing to them in 4 or 5.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The division race is over. Deboer has less than 3 weeks to figure out how to beat Vegas 4 out of 7 times. Imagine losing to Vegas in 6 last year then adding Erik freaking Karlsson and losing to them in 4 or 5.

Imagine a coach that has a need to ice a completely useless player because of how the boys like him rather than how he performs and also still icing said player even when he and the team got punked because of said player. I'd can DeBoer if he loses to Vegas but I know the team won't since they just extended this past off-season.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Imagine a coach that has a need to ice a completely useless player because of how the boys like him rather than how he performs and also still icing said player even when he and the team got punked because of said player. I'd can DeBoer if he loses to Vegas but I know the team won't since they just extended this past off-season.
I don’t think Deboer is safe if that happens. This season hasn’t gone well for him, and much like McLellan they’re succeeding in spite of him. Karlsson turning into hot fire essentially saved his job. That hot streak doesn’t happen and I feel fairly confident he would have been gone already.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t think Deboer is safe if that happens. This season hasn’t gone well for him, and much like McLellan they’re succeeding in spite of him. Karlsson turning into hot fire essentially saved his job. That hot streak doesn’t happen and I feel fairly confident he would have been gone already.

I wish I had your confidence on this. The way they handled McLellan is the reason why I can't see them canning DeBoer anytime soon. This organization does not seem to care for paying people to not be there from a coaching perspective.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I wish I had your confidence on this. The way they handled McLellan is the reason why I can't see them canning DeBoer anytime soon. This organization does not seem to care for paying people to not be there from a coaching perspective.
That’s a fair point. I just think that Doug took a big risk trying to go all in this season, and Deboer has the team underperforming. I think that Doug didn’t want to have to make that call which is why they had that meeting. If they hadn’t turned it around, I really do think Deboer would have been canned. I mean, he rearranged his coaching staff. That seems like a desperation move by a coach when he knows that his job hangs in the balance.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That’s a fair point. I just think that Doug took a big risk trying to go all in this season, and Deboer has the team underperforming. I think that Doug didn’t want to have to make that call which is why they had that meeting. If they hadn’t turned it around, I really do think Deboer would have been canned. I mean, he rearranged his coaching staff. That seems like a desperation move by a coach when he knows that his job hangs in the balance.

I agree but the fact that he got that opportunity to run with a rearranged staff is in itself a signal of how averse they are to making the coaching change. You don't see stuff like that very often in this league.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I agree but the fact that he got that opportunity to run with a rearranged staff is in itself a signal of how averse they are to making the coaching change. You don't see stuff like that very often in this league.
Doug definitely doesn’t like to make coaching changes. He held on to McLellan for 3 years too long. I feel like Deboer has worn out his welcome at this point, but I’m hoping Doug doesn’t waste another year holding on to him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doug definitely doesn’t like to make coaching changes. He held on to McLellan for 3 years too long. I feel like Deboer has worn out his welcome at this point, but I’m hoping Doug doesn’t waste another year holding on to him.

I assume some of that depends on where EK65 is at with a new contract. If he walks, their only legitimate free agent option to try and make up for that is Matt Duchene and moving Cooch to wing then try to find another offensive top four level guy on defense.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I assume some of that depends on where EK65 is at with a new contract. If he walks, their only legitimate free agent option to try and make up for that is Matt Duchene and moving Cooch to wing then try to find another offensive top four level guy on defense.
Duchene or Panarin. I think if Karlsson walks Doug will go hard after one of those 2.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Duchene or Panarin. I think if Karlsson walks Doug will go hard after one of those 2.

If he strikes out on Erik Karlsson and those two, I suspect he’ll make a hard push for Taylor Hall.

Hall-Hertl-Meier would be a force to be reckoned with.

Kind of like Toronto losing to Boston in 7, adding John Tavares, and then losing in 4 or 5 lol.

Yeah, I wish I shared your optimism as well but I don’t. Who signs a coach to an extension and then fires him before it even starts? Has that ever happened before?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd go for both to be honest in such a scenario. They need a legit top six center that'll permanently push Cooch to wing. He's done as a center.
I know Cooch has been terrible at C but do we have any idea why? Is is basically his ability in face-offs? He was never really a play-making C or overly physical to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad