Speculation: Playoff positioning

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
that lightning team we have already proven we can beat. i am to lazy to go look but i am guessing the season and playoff series looked disgustingly bad vs the pens that year.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
that lightning team we have already proven we can beat. i am to lazy to go look but i am guessing the season and playoff series looked disgustingly bad vs the pens that year.

They beat us 3-2 in Pittsburgh and 5-0 at home. Not great.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not worried about the East until we see the Finals but I would not be shocked to see Tampa out in the second round. They're going to have a tough time against Boston who will beat the Leafs in the first round. A week or so ago when Pittsburgh was hanging by a thread to a playoff spot, I would have said that Pittsburgh would beat Tampa in a potential first round matchup. I think the Lightning will avoid that nightmare but I can see any of Boston, Pittsburgh, or Washington taking them out in the playoffs...and the Sharks can obviously lose to any of them in a potential Finals matchup too but since they're not a direct competitor to the Sharks getting there, I don't worry about 'em.

But now that it's pretty much either Montreal, Columbus, or Carolina, the Bolts will steamroll the first two. They'll probably have a little fight against Carolina but beat them.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Honestly, if everyone gets back healthy, I feel like the only real threat out there is Tampa, and I think we can beat them (we just match up well).

All things aside, if Burns + Karlsson alone have good playoffs (and I can't imagine they won't) that's pretty much a one-two punch no team can counter. If Jones plays like he has in the past in the playoffs, we'll win the cup this year.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not worried about the East until we see the Finals but I would not be shocked to see Tampa out in the second round. They're going to have a tough time against Boston who will beat the Leafs in the first round. A week or so ago when Pittsburgh was hanging by a thread to a playoff spot, I would have said that Pittsburgh would beat Tampa in a potential first round matchup. I think the Lightning will avoid that nightmare but I can see any of Boston, Pittsburgh, or Washington taking them out in the playoffs...and the Sharks can obviously lose to any of them in a potential Finals matchup too but since they're not a direct competitor to the Sharks getting there, I don't worry about 'em.

But now that it's pretty much either Montreal, Columbus, or Carolina, the Bolts will steamroll the first two. They'll probably have a little fight against Carolina but beat them.

A few months ago I said I would take Toronto over Boston in a playoff series but with Toronto’s struggles and Boston’s surge, I tend to share your line of thinking on that series. I still don’t think a Boston win is inevitable like people are making it out to be, but we’ll see.

I agree with your general sentiment on Tampa but I don’t see them getting beat by Pittsburgh if that series happens. I think Tampa’s going to get beat by whatever team has the defense, goaltending, and discipline to keep Kucherov quiet in 4 games out of 7 and that team isn’t going to be Pittsburgh. I think it could be Boston or the New York Islanders but I also think there’s an outside chance that Carolina could beat them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A few months ago I said I would take Toronto over Boston in a playoff series but with Toronto’s struggles and Boston’s surge, I tend to share your line of thinking on that series. I still don’t think a Boston win is inevitable like people are making it out to be, but we’ll see.

I agree with your general sentiment on Tampa but I don’t see them getting beat by Pittsburgh if that series happens. I think Tampa’s going to get beat by whatever team has the defense, goaltending, and discipline to keep Kucherov quiet in 4 games out of 7 and that team isn’t going to be Pittsburgh. I think it could be Boston or the New York Islanders but I also think there’s an outside chance that Carolina could beat them.

Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel can score right along with Tampa in a seven game series if they're on but that depends on how Malkin is feeling at the time mostly. lol

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel can score right along with Tampa in a seven game series if they're on but that depends on how Malkin is feeling at the time mostly. lol
You can never ever count out a team with Crosby and Malkin and the championship pedigree that organization has. You can say they can be like the warriors where they’re just wishing it was the playoffs already.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Kessel and Malkin can score right along with those guys but based on how they've performed this season at even strength, I wouldn't expect them to and I would expect them to give up more than whatever they did score on the defensive end. But Crosby is having the kind of year where I could see him out-performing Kucherov at evens if they get Dumolin-Letang back.

It would be an interesting series for sure.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Honestly, if everyone gets back healthy, I feel like the only real threat out there is Tampa, and I think we can beat them (we just match up well).

All things aside, if Burns + Karlsson alone have good playoffs (and I can't imagine they won't) that's pretty much a one-two punch no team can counter. If Jones plays like he has in the past in the playoffs, we'll win the cup this year.

I'm very much looking forward to playoff EK65. Even if he is not 100%, we saw what he did in 2017 at not 100%, and if he can replicate even 80% of that output......

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You guys do not sound like sharks fans right now.....

One game at a time guys

We’re just talking about Eastern Teams playing against one another. I wasn’t talking about it in the context of which of them the Sharks would potentially see in the SCF.

I'm very much looking forward to playoff EK65. Even if he is not 100%, we saw what he did in 2017 at not 100%, and if he can replicate even 80% of that output......

I think if he were capable of that, he would be playing right now. IIRC, he said in an interview that this injury is something different that he can’t just play through. :(

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think if he were capable of that, he would be playing right now. IIRC, he said in an interview that this injury is something different that he can’t just play through. :(

Yea, it's definitely subjective based on the type of injury. at least we are cruising right now

In that light, and back to the topic of playoff positioning, we are 10pts ahead of WPG, that's nuts.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The boys should know what the result of the Wild game is prior to hitting the ice for the game. May not be such a trap game if they have a chance to clinch a spot tonight.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The boys should know what the result of the Wild game is prior to hitting the ice for the game. May not be such a trap game if they have a chance to clinch a spot tonight.

Still need to win no matter what. I just don't feel like the sharks have been very good in the past 15 years of thornton teams to clinch on the 1st chance.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Still need to win no matter what. I just don't feel like the sharks have been very good in the past 15 years of thornton teams to clinch on the 1st chance.

Well, I'll forgive them if they fall into the trap and not clinch tonight. Four in six nights with the travel involved is an acceptable reason for losing tonight if that is how it turns out. Florida has won their last two games but lost six consecutive one-goal games before that. They've been very competitive and are rested having not played since Sunday.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If Calgary wins tomorrow will they clinch before us?

Don't think so. The 2 scenarios that were tweeted both involved a sharks win and a combination of losses by other teams.

So if the sharks needed a win to clinch then i am guessing a win wouldnt do it for calgary. Minny lost, but arizona won.

And yeah with 11 games left minny can gain 22 more points which means 96, calgary is at 93.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Sharks are going to have to go through Vegas either way because I don't see Calgary beating them. Better to play Vegas in the 1st round when the Sharks are more fresh than to play them in the division finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad