playoff locks eastern conference

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
lots of chatter about us being a bubble team.

So who are the locks in the east? I see Pittsburgh and Washington. And I'll say Columbus.

I see a downside to just about every other team. Including all Atlantic teams. in our case I see a little less downside possibility than most teams but our overall depth is pretty good

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I'm not even sold on Columbus to be honest.

Pittsburgh, Washington and God help me but I think the Leafs are damn well close to a lock, especially if they snag Marleau.

Montreal I would consider a lock if Radulov and Markov stay, if not they will be joining us in bubbleville.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The Atlantic is certainly up for grabs this year. Montreal, especially without Radulov and Markov, will have regressed to the middle conversation. Toronto is just getting better and time will give them familiarity. Tampa is neutral I think with losing Bishop and Drouin. Their adds are nice but Kunitz is not the same. Florida is the same. Boston and Detroit regress as they get older, not better. Buffalo should improve though.

I look at final standings as Toronto, with Ottawa and Montreal to figure out 2nd and 3rd. Buffalo, then Tampa, Boston, Florida, and Detroit to fill out the final four (in that order for me).

We will make the Playoffs, but the road through the Metropolitan will remain a tough assignment, unless they split again, which I doubt.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
We need to look at it more within the division then the conference
Maybe I'm to optimistic but I say we have a 75% chance finishing in the top 3 in the weak Atlantic

Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Toronto

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'm seeing Tampa and Buffalo in a fight for fourth with Buffalo edging them out. Bishop and Drouin are a lot to lose. The Kunitz, et al signing do not make up for that. Buffalo's work this weekend pushes them higher I think.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We will make it we are a solid team and this time we are going in with depth

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We will make it we are a solid team and this time we are going in with depth

Just lost a top pairing d man. Don't discount that.

A few step ups and I think we will be exactly where we were this past year. Bubble team. Closer to the top of the bubble than the bottom

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
IMO, we haven't improved from last year while other teams have. A playoff spot is not a sure thing.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
ive always predicted the sens make the playoffs every, just not feeling it now. Still pissed of we signed a plug for 1.65 especially if stalgberg signs elsewhere for something similar.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'll make one prediction....the Atlantic will only get 3 playoff spots this year.

So, we need to finish in the top 3 to get in. The only team I think is definitely out of the playoff mix would be Detroit. The rest of the Atlantic has a chance.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think the locks are

Wash
Pitts
Columbus

Then

Toronto
Tampa

Then

Ottawa
NYR
Boston
Montreal
NYI
Florida
Sabres

Then

Detroit
Philly
New Jersey
Carolina

They should have the upperhand on a spot, but should EK miss anytime they'll have to play out of their minds in October.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My only locks are Pittsburgh and Washington. The rest of the conference is wide open, though if I'm making way-too-early projections (there are still months of potential roster moves, we're only a day into UFA), I think the divisions play out something like this next year:

Atlantic
Montreal
Tampa
Ottawa
Toronto (I think they will take a small step back this season before taking 2 forward in the following one)
Boston
Florida
Detroit
Buffalo

Metropolitan
Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Islanders (just a hunch here)
Rangers
Flyers
Carolina
New Jersey

As far as top-8 seeding, it's a crapshoot.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
New York Rangers are coming off a really good season. I would say they are locks. And they've improved their blueline (I don't care how bad some people think shattenkirk is. He's an upgrade on girardi. A significant one).

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I'm seeing Tampa and Buffalo in a fight for fourth with Buffalo edging them out. Bishop and Drouin are a lot to lose. The Kunitz, et al signing do not make up for that. Buffalo's work this weekend pushes them higher I think.

Bishop and Drouin being traded / moved will hurt Tampa but I also think that if Stampkos can stay healthy that it will help tampa quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa as high as 2nd in the division.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think the locks are

Wash
Pitts
Columbus

Then

Toronto
Tampa

Then

Ottawa
NYR
Boston
Montreal
NYI
Flordia
Sabres

Then

Detroit
Philly
New Jersey
Carolina

They should have the upperhand on a spot, but should EK miss anytime they'll have to play out of their minds in October.

Pretty bang on.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the locks are

Wash
Pitts
Columbus

Then

Toronto
Tampa

Then

Ottawa
NYR
Boston
Montreal
NYI
Florida
Sabres

Then

Detroit
Philly
New Jersey
Carolina

Looks reasonable to me. I agree.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's almost no such thing as a playoff lock in today's NHL. I'd say Pittsburgh and maybe CBJ. I'm not even sure about WSH.

Don't get me wrong, WSH is obviously very likely to make the playoffs....but pretty much anybody can miss. TB and FLA were supposed to be locks last off season according to a lot of people.

It'll be tough for the Senators to make the playoffs next season. We're a bubble team. That doesn't mean the same thing it meant in the past though.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I think without getting anyone on defense we'll be in a wildcard dogfight. 50/50 in or out

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The problem isn't that theres a bunch of locks pushing us out. Its that we're no better than the majority of teams in our division and conference. The teams that get in will be the consistent and healthy teams.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Don't know why people here would have Toronto above Ottawa from what we have seen.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Don't know why people here would have Toronto above Ottawa from what we have seen.

An OK defense and OK goaltending backed up by a top 5 offense in the league has the ability to do very well in the regular season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
An OK defense and OK goaltending backed up by a top 5 offense in the league has the ability to do very well in the regular season.
On the flip side will all their young guys perform to the same level. Or better while having another historically injury free season to key players?

But more importantly I think Sens fans tend to forget that the team we saw in the playoffs is not the team that played for the good part of the season for us. We added a ton of depth ie injury free ryan, Macarthur, stalberg, wingels, Burrows, dzingle, claesson

That's a big roster change especially when we consider it took the team almost half the season to get comfortable with the system.

Maybe the leafs rookies become even better and reach new Pt totals but Ottawa for sure is a better team now then a year ago Imo. Also potentially adding white and Chabot might be interesting

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
New York Rangers are coming off a really good season. I would say they are locks. And they've improved their blueline (I don't care how bad some people think shattenkirk is. He's an upgrade on girardi. A significant one).

what I find pretty questionable about NYR is Hank. Not only did he suck in the series against us he looked pretty bad while sucking. Raanta was huge for them last year and he's gone.

I agree Shattenkirk is a huge upgrade but only on the O side of the puck. He's no hell defensively. Neither was Girardi

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

In theory... they had a great season with 4 rookies having good season so one should expect normal year to year progression but there are two things that concern me. First is that 2nd year can be tougher for many rookies. The second is that they had almost no games lost to their top players. I think it was like 10 games from their top 6 or so players. For me, 10 games is normal for every player.

So I actually expect a slight fall back. The year after though? Watch out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I am guessing most people see Toronto as a team on the rise. I know I do. I expect them to be better. They have improved their roster with Marleau and Hainsey. Plus the kids Matthews, Marner and Nylander will have more experience behind them to start this year. The 2 teams finished the year with a difference of 3 pts, Toronto had 1 more ROW. Toronto had the Caps in Round 1, lost, but .. they were a worthy opponent and gained experience.

Have the Sens improved... Assuming Mac plays , I would have to say its a wash overall...considering the loss of Methot and having Burrows and Thompson vs Lazar / Kelly / Neil. I expect Brassard to miss a month. If Mac is out ... we are not as good as what we were going into the playoffs last year. Sens gained some really valuable playoff experience as well.

If I had to bet I would bet the Leafs end up with more pts than the Sens ,,, I expect it to be close again .. within 5 pts. I am not very good at these predictions and a lot of factors such as injuries ... can come into play so... it really is anybody's guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->