Playoff lines?

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
Kind of? He was OK? o_O
6 points in 10 games before he was injured. Most of those (4) came on a line with Crosby.
You don't see it flourishing because since he has come back he has been on the 4th line.
Sid wasn't teaching him. ZAR was scoring.
If "Sid shouldn't be teaching" by your reasoning, why is Simon or Sprong OK?
Sprong isn't an some effective experienced winger.
I didn’t say Sprong has experience. I said a effective Speed winger like Garbener or Sprong if he was given time to develop more two months ago with Sid.

Really. I don’t think Ahl players should be on Sid’s line. Frankly, Simon and Zar shouldn’t be there either. Like I said over and over again Sid shouldn’t be teaching or guiding players in this point in his career or even adapting to different players on his line. Only players he should be teaching is Sprong because that is where eventually where the organization wants Sprong to be .
I like Simon there because I have seen better chemistry with him there with Jake and Sid especially with Sid . Zar is ok . I need to see more although he has points. I like Simon better
Oh well . If I’m not overhyped of having Zar on Sid line as a Rw.
I think He lacks speeds to keep up Sid and give and go etc..He has the gritty ,provides secondary complimentary scoring and knack for the net but I don’t see him flourishing with Sid completely it probably will become up and down battle like it is with Hornqvist. Although Hornqvist actually work well with Sid. Sid like speed , board work, down low cycle , effective breakouts, give and go,time and space etc..Playoffs are coming Really Hornqvist or Rust should be up there . Only best options besides Simon.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I didn’t say Sprong has experience. I said a effective Speed winger like Garbener or Sprong if he was given time to develop more two months ago with Sid.

Really. I don’t think Ahl players should be on Sid’s line. Frankly, Simon and Zar shouldn’t be there either. Like I said over and over again Sid shouldn’t be teaching or guiding players in this point in his career or even adapting to different players on his line. Only players he should be teaching is Sprong because that is where eventually where the organization wants Sprong to be .
I like Simon there because I have seen better chemistry with him there with Jake and Sid especially with Sid . Zar is ok . I need to see more although he has points. I like Simon better
Oh well . If I’m not overhyped of having Zar on Sid line as a Rw.
I think He lacks speeds to keep up Sid and give and go etc..He has the gritty ,provides secondary complimentary scoring and knack for the net but I don’t see him flourishing with Sid completely it probably will become up and down battle like it is with Hornqvist. Although Hornqvist actually work well with Sid. Sid like speed , board work, down low cycle , effective breakouts, give and go,time and space etc..Playoffs are coming Really Hornqvist or Rust should be up there . Only best options besides Simon.
You said "I wish Sprong or another effective experience winger like Garbener was a option." Maybe I mistook the another experienced winger part as saying Sprong was experienced. I wouldn't even call Sprong effective. He had points in one game and then started falling off before he was sent down.

I don't get the whole "the only player he should be teaching should be Sprong." We shouldn't be teaching anybody going into the playoffs. ZAR was putting up points. That's what matters. They clicked. It wasn't a teaching thing. I mean I'm sure there is some kind of learning curve when you play with a guy of Sid's caliber, but that's with any player I'm sure.

You talk about ZAR not having speed, but mention wanting Hornqvist on that line. He isn't exactly a speed demon.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Again I know we're in fantasy land, but since we know Rust/Sid won't be broken up what about Rust-Sid-Horny? Maybe that would force Sid to take a similar role of "screw this, I'll do things myself" like Geno did. Let Rust and Horny create the space with their size and speed

Yeah I know I'm grasping for straws at this point because of Silly Sullivan...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Again I know we're in fantasy land, but since we know Rust/Sid won't be broken up what about Rust-Sid-Horny? Maybe that would force Sid to take a similar role of "screw this, I'll do things myself" like Geno did. Let Rust and Horny create the space with their size and speed

Yeah I know I'm grasping for straws at this point because of Silly Sullivan...

And who will be Geno's RW?

Really, if you're playing Horny on Sid's RW, then it's Jake or Sheary on the LW.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
And who will be Geno's RW?

Really, if you're playing Horny on Sid's RW, then it's Jake or Sheary on the LW.
Kessel
Again not my ideal lineup but trying to maximize Sids line if the insistence is for Rust to be with him

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kessel
Again not my ideal lineup but trying to maximize Sids line if the insistence is for Rust to be with him

Who's playing RW on lines 3 and 4 then? You've used up all the natural RH shots.

Tbh, I don't really buy the idea. I don't think Sid thrives on doing everything the way Geno does - he prefers to play give and go a lot more than Geno.

I also think Rust and Guentzel have a lot of chemistry together that Rust and Hornqvist don't, and would rather go ZAR-Rust if really really going that way as it's basically the same thing, only with Rust on his stronger side and with Hornqvist there to go with Geno.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Malkin - Crosby - Kessel
Guentzel - Brassard - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Sheahan - Rust

Then forego a 4th line and double shift the top line.

Success?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Malkin - Crosby - Kessel
Hagelin - Sheahan - Rust

Success?

Success in terms of a world record for biggest pass to shot ratio in the offensive zone maybe :P

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Malkin - Crosby - Kessel
Hagelin - Sheahan - Rust

Success?

I prefer
Kuhn-Rowney-Horny
Simon-Sheahan-ZAR
Sheary-Jooris-Rust

Sid, Geno and Kessel as needed because they aren’t gritty enough unskilled players....
Signed,
Mike Sullivan

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Sheary Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Malkin Rust
Guentzel Sheahan Kessel
Zar Brassard Simon

Brassard gets some shifts with Crosby, PP2, and PK2

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Crap-Great-Underrated
Energy-God-Crap
Crap-Meh-Maybe Good
Crap-Zzz-Unused

Scary-Stupid
Slow-Soft
Omfg-Ugh

Pray
Cry

About sums it up?

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
my playoff lines woud be.....this
Sheary-Crosby-Sprong/Simon
Hagelin-Malkin-horny
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust

Dumoilin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Oleksiak

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me thier best setup is:

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Jake-Brassard-Phil
ZAR/Simon-Sheahan-Jooris

or

Jake-Sid-SimonORZAR/Sheary
Hags-G-Horny
Rust-Brassard-Phil
Sheary/SimonORZAR-Sheahan-Jooris

But Kuhn is gonna dress over a Simon or ZAR atm...
He shouldn't though.
Sheahan+Hags + Jooris+Rust + Jake/Sid/Brassard can handle the PK just fine or shall i say SHOULD be able to.

My guess is when Brass comes back either ZAR or Jooris will sit so:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Hags-G-Horny
Sheary-Brass-Phil
Kuhnackl-Sheahan-Jooris/ZAR

is what we're lookin' at to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
For me thier best setup is:

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Jake-Brassard-Phil
ZAR/Simon-Sheahan-Jooris

But Kuhn is gonna dress over a Simon or ZAR atm...
He shouldn't though.
Sheahan+Hags + Jooris+Rust + Jake/Sid/Brassard can handle the PK just fine or shall i say SHOULD be able to.

I like everything you say, but I doubt you see Sheary-Sid- Horny unless we are majorly down in a series

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I like everything you say, but I doubt you see Sheary-Sid- Horny unless we are majorly down in a series

I agree with you. These are just my "doable" ideal lines.

As i put above, when Brass comes back, ZAR or Jooris will sit and it'll be:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Hags-G-Horny
Sheary-Brass-Phil
Kuhnackl-Sheahan-Jooris/ZAR

to start.

Maybe we get a little luck and the 3rd/4th lines look like this instead:

Sheary/ZARORSimon-Brass-Phil
ZARORSimon/Sheary-Sheahan-Jooris

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
that third line with Brassard, are we going to have to injured guys on one line/ Brass by all indications will have nagging groin injury throughout POs, Phil seems to nurse similar problem or whatever, if we gonna use 50-70 % of these guys spread them around rather than having one black hole line...

Speaking of Brass, this injury will screw us the most, if there was a one player that needed games before the play offs it was him,

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
that third line with Brassard, are we going to have to injured guys on one line/ Brass by all indications will have nagging groin injury throughout POs, Phil seems to nurse similar problem or whatever, if we gonna use 50-70 % of these guys spread them around rather than having one black hole line...

Speaking of Brass, this injury will screw us the most, if there was a one player that needed games before the play offs it was him,
Devil's advocate- Hossa got hurt after we acquired him and was great in the playoffs. Just food for thought

Reactions: EightyOne

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not trying to get down on Brassard and your point is well taken but a prime Marian Hossa and Derick Brassard aren't really the same echelon of player.

I really hope he's GTG for the playoffs. Groin injuries can be tricky.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm not trying to get down on Brassard and your point is well taken but a prime Marian Hossa and Derick Brassard aren't really the same echelon of player.

I really hope he's GTG for the playoffs. Groin injuries can be tricky.
Understood. Could just be that they're being extra cautious. Yohe tweeted on the 29th that it isn't believed to be real serious. They might be taking it easy so it doesn't turn into a lingering issue.

Related- why does Kessel continue to practice and play? Why not hold him out. He's obviously got something going on. Is the iron-man streak THAT important?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. It must be. He seems pretty obviously banged up, to me. Honestly I just wish he would sit but maybe it's something that rest won't really help that much?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Problem right now is that there's a passenger on each line. Phil, Sheary, Jake aren't pulling their weight right now (although I suspect as most do that Phil's hurt)

Seems that whatever combo is put together, it works for a little while then it dies, and we're left scrambling to try to figure out who should play with who.

The team needed one more winger at the deadline. One winger and it would have tied everything together, but the Pens didn't have the D prospect the Rags wanted for Grabner.

Reactions: KIRK

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Problem right now is that there's a passenger on each line. Phil, Sheary, Jake aren't pulling their weight right now (although I suspect as most do that Phil's hurt)

Seems that whatever combo is put together, it works for a little while then it dies, and we're left scrambling to try to figure out who should play with who.

The team needed one more winger at the deadline. One winger and it would have tied everything together, but the Pens didn't have the D prospect the Rags wanted for Grabner.
We have that winger in sprong, and it didn't cost us a d prospect.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad